Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

I rode the new Prairie 650 V-Twin today

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local dealer has a new 650 (green) in stock and I stopped by today at lunch to take a look at it. They know me pretty well there so he let me take it for a spin in the nearby field.

The acceleration is very noticable over the Prairie 400s and the Kodiak (but felt like slow motion compared to my 250R ). The power was also very smooth - no vibration. It obviously didn't take off like a 660 Raptor, but felt somewhere between a Honda 300EX and 400EX (if I remember correctly since its been awhile since I've owned either one of these). A buddy also rode it and said he could tell a big difference in acceleration compared to his '00 Kodiak.

As far as handeling goes, it turned very easily, but I never put it in 4 wheel drive. The dealer said it's hard to tell you're in 4 wheel drive since it turns so effortlessly. The front brakes were very responsive and almost felt like it could do a 'stoppy'. My buddy is very picky about engine braking and he was very pleased with the engine braking the 650 offered. Obviously, I was not able to climb any big hills or run it wide open for very long, but I'm sure in the real world (hills, rocks, streams, mud, etc...) is where it will really shine. This would be a perfect quad for the over-sized tires.

My only negative opinion from my quick ride was that the suspension was very stiff. My in-laws have a couple of Prairie 400 4x4s and they are realy plush and smooth. The new 650 was a little jarring on sudden bumps and pits - not really a big deal, just not as smooth as the 400s. I think I would prefer black racks and wheels over the gold that comes on the green 650s, but I'm just being picky. After riding it, I would think it would be the PERFECT quad if it had IRS (independent rear suspension). I know there is pros and cons about IRS, but I think that would come closer to giving it a ride comparable to the Prairie 400s - which are the smoothest I've ridden. If I were buying a new utility quad today, then this would be it!

Old 05-11-2001, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

A friend of mine said he looked at one at the Pasadena kawasaki dealership. He said it was nice looking, but wide were the seat meets the tank.
I wonder why there in Texas before the rest of the other states?

Old 05-12-2001, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure why they're in Texas first. Woods Fun Center in Austin (or maybe San Antonio - don't remember) called me and said they had one available there as well (I had to talked to them back in October). The width of the seat didn't stand out to me so I guess I didn't see it as a big deal.