Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 650 First Ride and A Raptor Owners Impression

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to this Kawasaki forum because I own a Raptor, but I can admit when I see or in this case ride something that is impressive. I picked up my father's Kawasaki Prairie 650 last night and had to take it for a thrashing. My impression is [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. For a 4 wheel drive this is one fun quad to ride. In 2 wheel drive you can slide it around almost as good as a sport quad. It climbed anything I tried in 2 wheel drive very easy and when clicked in 4 wheel drive it laughed at me begging for a steeper hill. Hats off to Kawasaki for making the industry that much better. As far as drag racing against my Raptor, The Prairie with me on it got the Raptor out of the hole, but then the Raptor stopped spinning and caught me and passed me. It was still very impressive. In my opinion it could take a Honda 400Ex, and definately out run any other 4 X 4. The quad had 10 miles on it, but I still managed to hit 59 MPH in loose sand, then it got a little shaky in the loose stuff so I backed out of it. I think it would have no problem hitting 65 on hard pack. Hey, that's just my impression of the new king of the 4 X 4's hope it helped anyone that was thinking about buying one.

Old 06-07-2001, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<< In my opinion it could take a Honda 400Ex, and definately out run any other 4 X 4. >>

You should go post that in the Honda forum, that would be funny!

The new 4x4's are getting crazy these days. The distinction between sport quads and 4x4's is getting more and more blurred. If a manufacturer can come out with a 4x4 quad that weighs under 400lbs and has 8&quot; or more of travel, manual clutch and selectable 2 and 4 wheel drive then I want one!

Old 06-07-2001, 05:06 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

I took a little spin on a 650 at a local dealer and loved it! Not only does it have a load of power, but the engine is smooth and quite. The dealer says that 14 of the 35 he has ordered are spoken for. Although at $6899 it is the price of a good used car. The 650 is the new king, at least untill someone builds a 750 twin...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2001, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

I believe, as 4-Wheel ATV Action magazine put it, that the Kawasaki 650 belongs to a new class of ATVs... the muscle quads!

Now I just can't wait for other manufacturers to introduce muscle quads of their own (Yamaha Wolverine 660, Polaris Sportsman 700, Honda? Suzuki? Cat?).

Old 06-07-2001, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

we should just hope that a lawyer doesnt buy one. IF they do thell sue the company becaues somebody might hurt themselfs with all that power.

All we need is some beginer to buy one of these Monster quads and kill themselfs. Then the lawsuits start coming. Kinda like what happiend to Honda and Kawie in the 80's, remember the 250r and quadzilla???

later
jon

Old 06-08-2001, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

I really have a problem with this idea of someone suing a manufacturer because they get hurt using a machine recklessly. If you can't sue the motorcycle and car manufacturers, then you sure shouldn't be able to sue the quad manufacturers. Next you won't be able to buy a car that can go over a standardized speed limit.

Old 06-08-2001, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

Who says you can't sue a car manufacturer. They do it every day, especially with SUV's because people can't drive and look for someone to blame. It's like suing the tobacco co.'s over your choice to inhale smoke in your lungs, there's always someone to blame in America. Maybe, we could sue McDonalds if we ate too many Q-pounders and get heart disease, it's crazy. I wouldn't be suprised if there are more and more lawsuits involving ATV's. Around here, 4-wheelers ride around on main streets totally legal. Wait till a kid on a quad gets hit and see the lawsuits start flying.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-09-2001, 08:39 PM
Range Rover

i smoked a 650 on my ex with just a jet kit. it was on the road too so traction didnt matter. once the kawi is broken in it might be closer. i will post later once it is broken in.

Old 06-09-2001, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

It's funny you say you beat the 650. I raced a stock 400ex 2001 Yellow yesterday and beat him by a bike length. I laughed uncontrollably because he said he wished I had my Raptor. After we raced, he was a little upset. I then told him that he was lucky the mighty raptor wasn't here or he'd really be mad. Now before this starts an arguement I do want to point out that the guy on the 400 dumped the clutch and spun for a while. He wanted to race again, but I told him he had his chance and blew it.

Old 06-10-2001, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I personally cant wait for the opportunity to drag race the new 650,im thinking it should be close,especially with my mods.
Bill

00 400cc 4x4 Xplorer
Modified PSI pipe with Scrambler silencer
Delta V-force reeds w/spacer kit
26 inch Mudrunners
RcR airbox mods and jet kit
KN Filter and Uni Filter
Heel Clickers clutch kit[Very SOON]

Quick Reply: Prairie 650 First Ride and A Raptor Owners Impression