Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 650 vs Grizzly 660

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 12:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was speaking with my uncle about changing my Prairi 650 for the new Grizzly because of the IRS but he dont like IRS.
Reason he told me: in a turn the slope is going on the wrong side, the 2 wheel inside the turn are loosing the ground. He told me, with an axle on the rear that not happennig as well.

I dont know what to think about that.. What do you guys think?

Old 07-09-2001, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Do what is right for you. If you want irs, then go for different machine. If you want straight axle, keep what you have. The decision should be yours, not your uncles or what someone else thinks.

Old 07-09-2001, 12:32 PM
Trailblazer

I just dont know if that really worth the change...

Old 07-09-2001, 10:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Personally If I had the prairie I would not change it for a grizzly, Yes IRS is great in certain situations but I much rather have the normal swing arm which has less parts to break and is overall more reliable in the long run. I ride for fun and If I wanted a stellar ride Ill drive a car around town. I dont have a 650 or a 660 but I am currently looking to change my Kodiak for a 650.

Old 07-09-2001, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

What your Uncle says might be true I don't know I not a mechanical engineer. But just sit back and think about it for a second, If what he says is true then why do high performance racing cars have IS front and rear? It must not be that big of deal. The benefits of IRS greatly out weigh the disadvantages. Also I am sick of hearing about more to brake on the IRS. I have beatup 4 ATV in my time and have never had problems with IFS why would I expect the IRS to brake. With all this nonsense I have spouted I still can't decide on the Kaw 650 or the YAM Griz. I hope one day an ATV manufacture will come out with the first IRS sport quad.

Old 07-09-2001, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

m14brian, if you ride where there are a lot of sharp small trees and brush, it isn't fun replacing torn cv boots every few rides. Yes, they both have cv boots, but it takes two hands to count all of them on the grizzly. Again, depends on individuals preference/situation.

Old 07-10-2001, 02:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I guess whatever makes you happy, but I couldn't ever justify trading in a brand new bike for anything, unless it had a mess of mechanical failures. There wouldn't ever be enough difference between these two bikes for me to be able to take the loss in trade in. About like buying a $30,000 Chevrolet, not liking the way it steers, and trading it in on another $30,000 Ford. You're going to take an awful hit, and not really have anything that could be considered better.

Old 07-10-2001, 08:46 AM
Trailblazer

I think you right...

I also dont think the Grizzly is better than the Prairie, I really like the Prairie...

I went to a ride last evening and I again can stop riding until dark come, it's so fun...

I wonder if someone know about the gaz bottle at the top of the rear shock!
What it's stand for?
What can happend if I release gaz from that bottle?

Old 07-10-2001, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer

I also want to mention that the suspension is a little hard on my Prairie...

I would like to know if an IRS suspension will be better!! Maybe when my dealer receive Grizzly I will just go and see how it really look like and how it feel...

do you guys think that Tire make a difference on suspension feeling?

Old 07-10-2001, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Patbucks have you tried adjusting the suspension so that it isn't hard? If I were you I would keep the Prairie unless you absulutely need the IRS. The Prairie has more power and all I have heard is good things about it. I have also heard a lot of bad things about the Grizzly such as, not good in the water, very tippy, ergonomics aren't that great, quite a bit of body roll in corners, etc.

Quick Reply: Prairie 650 vs Grizzly 660