Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mojave/Lakota swingarm ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2001, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Mojave and have heard that the Lakota swingarm is a direct swap for the Mojave. Is this true? If so, how much longer is it? Any ideas on how much they cost? I've tried to find a used one but havent been able to find one as of yet.

Old 07-16-2001, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

I tried to get a Lakota swingarm for my Mojave in March but I was told they were savierly back ordered. The price is good....@$180. I ended up having a trick, custom one built for my Mojave that's +3 and uses a 250R, CR-500 'no-link' PEP shock. It's sweet!!!!! The next one I'm purchasing is a swingarm with a 250R carrier and all the goodies that go with it. If you want some info on the swingarm click HERE to email me.

Old 07-16-2001, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, do you know how much longer the Lakota swingarm is? How much was the IdahoATV swingarm and shock setup?

Old 07-17-2001, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

The swingarm is $525. The rear shock was purchased off of ebay for $500. You see PEP is WAY behind on shock production. They told me it would be 6 months before they could build mine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] The swingarm can be built with a Mojave shock set up, instead of a 250R shock. Believe me...after breaking 2 stock swingarms, it would be well worth the money. I have beat this swingarm to death and it hasn't cracked once. The last stock on I bought cracked on the 4th or 5th race. IdahoATV is working on a catalog. They offer everything from Hydrolic Clutches to chassis components. They are in the process of building me a set of +3+2 control arms with 250R front shocks. They should be ready in about 2 weeks. I can't wait. The catalog should be finished soon. You can order one through me or you can email Mike by clicking HERE.

Old 07-18-2001, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

Madweazl,
The lakota arm is 1 inch longer. I have extended stock swing arms 2 and 2 1/2 inches and have never broken one of them. They have seen a good bit of mx and still not broken. The idaho atv arm that lurch has looks great and would be the way to go if you have the bucks. A lakota arm can be bought new for 150 if you try a discount kawi parts dealer. It is stronger then a mojave arm. Many shops will extend a stock arm for about 150. I am going to make a jig to extend the stock mojave arms. It will do 2,2 1/2, 3 , and 4 inch extensions when finished.

Hey lurch, where did your stock swing arms break? Can you put pictures of the cracked arms on your web page? I would also be very interested in the frt a arms from Idaho if they offer something less than +3+2. Like +2+1. Post a price on them when it is decided on. Will you have some on by Loretta Lynn's? I may be there and would like to see them.

Old 07-25-2001, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

Mojaveaddict,

The stock swingarms have a weak spot in them. The spot where mine cracked and broke is on the chain side, around the rear shock mount tube, on the outside of the swingarm. The new swingarm doesn't have the same mounting setup. The control arms can be designed with a variation of set-ups. There has been talk of a GNCC set of arms. I will have pics and test results in the near future posted on my web site.

Since IdahoATV.com is basically using me as a test ride. We are trying to see if we can make a Mojave chassis competetive in the Nationals. I raced one National this year before I hooked up with IdahoATV, it was Echeconnee here in GA. I was on my way to the main when some idiot crashed me. I can't wait until Loretta's. More motor and more chassis!!!

I'm currently having a Four Stroke Tech 330cc kit installed. I'm also using a 38mm Keihen Carb off of a YZ250F. It has an accelorator pump. I am getting very excited!!!!

Old 07-25-2001, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a crack in my lakota's swing arm in the same place lurch said it goes from the tube up and from the tube down goin fordward

Old 07-25-2001, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer

ok i got a question i am lookin to buy a mojave and the mag bash the hell out of the mojave espesially the chassis. Is it really that bad or are the mags just tring to presurre kawi into building a new sport quad. The crack swing arms didnt happen under normal use did they the most i will ever junp im bout 3 feet most likely so this stock (or mabe lakota swingarm ) wont be a problem for cracking will it?

Old 07-25-2001, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

I love mine! Its not a bad ride at all, you have to keep in mind that its a small 4 stroke at only 250cc and puts out pretty good power. Its geared very well out of the box I think, it pulls very strong through all 5 gears, it could probably be geared up a bit to give a little more top end with very little effect on the bottom. I like having the reverse too. My complaints are that once its flooded (which is pretty easily on mine it seems) it takes a while to get it fired back up. The air filter and spark plug access suck to, you have to pull plastic plugs out of the front fender to access the screws for the air box. A spark plug socket barely fits in the head (pretty tight) and the plug has long threads so it takes a while to get it out with the plastic on. Its been extememly reliable so far, no problems at all.

I've jumped mine about 3' often and havent had any problems what so ever (other than bottoming sometimes). I weigh in at a whopping 165#'s (5'll&quot so thats probably got something to do with it. It seems slightly small to me but not that bad at all. I think the extra inch on the swing arm would do well and I plan on getting a +2 axle and flipping the rims up front to make it a bit wider (probably just end up buying a different offset rim actually). Its a great all around quad.

Old 07-26-2001, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

The mags are full of it. The chassis and handling are my favorite part of the mojave. I love the way they handle and jump. I have ridden other similar quads (300ex for example) and they are just not as much fun to ride. A lot of power for a 250 4strk, Liquid cooled, DOHC, good reverse, kick start, good suspension, and reliability, all at at a very low price - nuf said.

Quick Reply: Mojave/Lakota swingarm ?