Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 07:20 PM
jdm
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I was wondering if I could find out about Kawasaki's reliablilty. I have a Kawasaki jet ski and it has been great but I have always had Yamaha or Honda atv's. I don't even know anyone who has ever owned a Kawa atv. I test rode the 650 kawa and 660 yamaha today. It wasn't even a contest. The kawa has to be the most awsome atv I have ever ridden, (by far). I don't know yet if I can get the old lady talked into me buying one but I believe that is the way I want to go. THanks for all responses.

Old 07-21-2001, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

While I have always been impressed with the value of Kawasaki ATV's, I'm somwhat skeptical of the new 650 and here's why. Based on information from several articles that reviewed the new 650, Kawasaki engineers came up with a design that reduced the weight of structural components in order to make room for the heavier engine. This was done so that it did not appear to out of line with other ATV's in this "heavyweight" class. Some have even commented how the thickness of the plastic appears to have been reduced to reduce weight. As much as I like the Kawaskai line of ATV's, I have to wonder if the 650 was built more as a marketing ploy to bolster the name. Few would argue that the Kawasaki name has frequently been overlooked in a market dominated by Honda and Polaris.

I would have much rather seen their engineers continue the practice of building a very durable unit and not worried so much about it's overall weight.

Old 07-21-2001, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

When I was in the market for an atv, I too was concerned about what I read in the atv magazines about the weight savings on the 650. But then I soon discovered that it was blown way out of proportion. I don't know why the magazines targeted the 650 on the weight savings issue and not the 660 or the rubi. I think the 650 is the heaviest of the three. Even my previous polaris 400 was around the same weight (~600lbs).

Since the 650 is a new model, I could only view reliability based on kawasaki's other models. I haven't heard of any major problems with any of kawasaki's vehicles. I think the main reason that I don't see as many kawasakis on the trails is because they just haven't had a model that has all the features that other brands have. Kawi doesn't have a 500 class 4x4, no push botton 4x4, no diff lock. Now kawi addressed those and other issues and produced an awesome quad, so we should start seeing more and more out on the trails.

Once you drive the V-twin, it's hard to go back to a single cylinder [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2001, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

I have owned 4 kawasaki quads now. My latest is a 99 400 4x4. I can say this my first was a clapped out raced and now dead Tecate 250. My second was a bullet proof bayou 300- I tried to kill it but it wouldn't die.
My third was a 97 prarie (first year of the 400), it had some issues. Most of the issues were my fault and the others were poor dealer prep. But it never left me stranded and never failed to run, just minor annoying stuff.
My 99 has been a great quad. After reading some of the other stuff that has happened to all other manufaturers quads on these forums, I feel lucky. At 2400 miles I had the swing arm pivot bearings replaced. This was probably my fault from making my prarie play submarine too much. Now at 2600+ miles (most of wich are with 26" mudrunners) it still runs strong- like the day I bought it and never hesitates to fire up with a single turn of the engine. Push the little green button and it fires up right away.
I want a 650 baaaddd, but have 6 more month of extended warranty left and will probably use them up before trading this one in. That will get through one more deer season and a new house purchase.

Old 07-21-2001, 10:04 PM
Trailblazer

I have the 650 Prairie, I find it very reliable, I ride it very hard in the mud, water and even jump it. I have had the 650 for about a month. I have had no problems at all so far.
I always had Honda Atvs myself, I had no problems with the Hondas. I traded in a 2001 300ex for a 4x4. I didnt get the 500 Rubicon because it was not fast enough, for me. But I hear its a great 4x4.

650 Prairie & 660 Grizzly Pics

Old 07-21-2001, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

I have heard stuff about Squeaky noises when riding is that true Slot?

Old 07-22-2001, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

That plastic thing is just plain old b.s. About overall reliability, I'll place Kawasaki at the TOP. We have had all the other wheelers: Honda, Yamaha, Kawi., Suzuki and Poorlaris. They were all good, but the three Kawasakis I have had are bullet-proof. I refuse to change the oil in our Bayou 220. I guess it's about time since we bought it new in '95. We have a couple thousand hard miles on it. I use my Prairie to mash trails for everyone else. Nothing can stop it other than a full grown tree. I haven't broken any plastic on my Prairie and I have slammed it, rolled it and wrecked it. The plastic on the 650 looks the same thickness of mine. I learned one lesson about 4-wheelers, though: stay away from first year models. That lesson cost me 6,500.00 Big Ones, the amount of a '95 Scrambler. I have had good luck with every manufacturer mentioned but Polaris. There is just no way I'll ever have another, but that's another story.

Old 07-22-2001, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

JDM-
If you don't mind me asking, what were the strengths of the Kawi-or maybe should I say weakness's of the Griz? You said it was "No Contest", I was just curious as to why, or what you think makes the Kaw so much better.

Thanks for the thoughts, Best of Luck talking to the wife-maybe dinner and some flowers are in order, clean the garage up, do a little yard work... You know how those "honey-do's" go. heh heh heh.

Thanks again,

Mike

Old 07-22-2001, 03:08 AM
Pro Rider

jdm, I own a /97 Prairie 400 4x4 and have had no probems with it at all. I had only owned Honda products before this (and my Dad had a Yamaha 3-wheeler) so I was partial to Hondas. I bought the Prairie because it rode so much better than the Hondas that I tested (a 300 and a Foreman 400---plus a few other brands that I didn't like the fit and finish of) and I also liked the automatic. The fit and finish on my Prairie is as good or better than any other ATV made, and that really impressed me. A friend has a /98 Grizzly, and it feels much looser than mine with about the same kind of use and mileage. It vibrates much worse also. This is my first Kawasaki, but from what I have experienced, I would not be afraid to buy another one.

Old 07-22-2001, 10:22 AM
jdm
Trailblazer

Cowboy,
The prairie was considerably smoother in power delivery, it felt almost like an electric motor, the grizz was not nearly as smooth.
The prairie had no handlebar vibration whatsoever, the griz did.
The transmission on the prairie had no hesitation the grizz did.
The prairie felt lighter, I know it's not but it felt like it.
A 20 mph punch on the prairie was unequaled by any atv I have ever ridden. HOLD ON
The grizz was nice, way nicer than my 00 big bear 400. But after riding the 650 prairie I didn't want to buy the grizz.

Quick Reply: Kawasaki Reliability