Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lakota Sport Performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2001, 01:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a 2001 Lakota Sport and now want to get a little more power. I am thinking of a K&N power kit (filter and jets) and an aftermarket silencer. I am wondering if anyone has done this on their Lakota and also if the silencer for a Mojave will work (more options).
Thanks

Old 09-18-2001, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

The Mojave Silencer won't work, but a filter/jet kit and pipe upgrade are sure to make a noticable differance. I have ridden the Lakota sport and if it were me I would change the front sproket to a 13 tooth for my first upgrade. It will only set you back $15 and you will gain a few mph on the top end. The motor has enough torque to pull it. You may also want to consider going with a "twin air" or "uni" filter and just replacing the main jet with the next size up. You will save a lot of money and you will get similar results.

Old 09-18-2001, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info,
Is there any particular reason the silencer from the Mojave will not work on my Lakota?

Old 09-19-2001, 08:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 01' lakota and i put a DG chrome power pipe on it. It at least gave me an additional 3-4 horsepower. I don't have a k&N airfilter on it. But i am sure you will get even more power. If you are looking for a good silent pipe to buy, buy the supertrapp IDS2. My friend has one on his lakota and he loves it.

01' lakota
DG chrome power pipe
baja skid plates

Old 09-19-2001, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

Where would be the best place for me to get the 13 tooth counter shaft sprocket? Most of the places I checked only had the 12 tooth stocker.

As far as a 3-4 horse increase is a marketing scheme. You will NOT pick up that kind of horse power I'm sorry to say. That # is usually a combination of the horse power increase over the entire band. For instance, you may pick up 1 horse at the 1500rpm mark, and another at 3000rpm, to them that equals 2 horse power when really the increase is only 1. However, a 1 horse increase is noticible when starting with 17hp or so.

Old 09-19-2001, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer

Stebob,
Did you install the new carb jets yourself? If so, was it difficult? I am knowledable with motors but do not have much carb experience. Do you think the K&N filter and jet kit is worth the money?
Thanks.
Lakota300CR

Old 09-19-2001, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

Lakota 300cr
I have recently joined the atv connection forum, and have injoyed all of this wonderful info you all have.
I have too recently purchased a 01 lakota sport.
Now to the bis at hand, Do not in any way or form try a silencer or another stock pipe from one bike to another.
The reason being the stock pipes are set up for a particular engines back pressure, and further more it IS restrictive due to emmissions purposes.
Now what every man,woman and child is trying to do is go faster than another.
All engines needs are the same, it wants more fuel. So you say how is this done.
Well first trash the stock pipe, then trash the stock air filter. Install a high flow air filter, and a good quality exhaust. now you have a stock engine that can breath.
Now the biggest power gain can come, jetting the carb.
When the engine can breath better larger main jets can be used to increase fuel wich increases power.
Now I have heard poeple tell you that just replace the main jet, wrong!
Install a complete jet kit. all these mods will get you probably three to five top end ponies but the bike will feel like twenty more ponies.
Reason being say (for sake of arguement) a bike has a 10,000 rpm red line, 0to 2500 rpm is your idle circut, 2500 to 7500 (mid range) is your needle, 7500 to 10000 rpm is your main jet.
Further more your lakota is equipped with a cv carp, wich the slide works off of cylinder scavanging (or air flow through your carb if you will) not the conventional cable pull slide like of days of old. You will get a drill bit to drill out your slide wich makes the slide open much quicker.
Now the improvements will be a bit more top end but you can ride out your gears longer and your time from a to b will be much, much quicker

Remember: Ride It Like You Stole It!!!!!!

Old 09-19-2001, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, I did all the work myself. No, it was not to difficult. Getting the choke cable off/on the carb. is most delicate procedure I found. It is a plastic nut and can strip very easily and you can only turn it about 1/8 of a turn at a time. Definitely worth the money.

Old 09-19-2001, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

gaff,,

I don't believe all of the jet kits from K&N/Dyno Jet are the same. You said about the drill bit and I have seen the K&N ads show a drill bit with the kit, but the kit for my Mojave did not have one. It came with a new needle which has settings via a cir clip to adjust for altitude. It also came with 3 different size main jets to use according to specific mods on the machine. The Lakota may have the drill bit as part of it's kit, I don't know that. Where exactly do you drill the slide at? And why would some kits come with the bit and not others? Lakota300cr, the pipes have different bends so they aren't interchangable.
Stebob, Dennis Kirk, Rocky Mountain ATV have the 13 tooth front sprockets. I checked at several dealers when I was looking for a 41 tooth rear and they all had 13 tooth fronts but only had 43 rears. I got the 41 from Dennis Kirk

Old 09-19-2001, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

Wow,
Thanks for all the advice from everyone, it is very helpful. I am a little nervous though if I have to "drill out" part of the carb (mistakes happen). I will most likely add the K&N power kit and DG exhaust in the coming months.

Quick Reply: Lakota Sport Performance