Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Who has the tecate 4s out there?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to see who had the tecate 4s and see if the guy who raced for 10 years is out there. I am looking for a set of +3 or +2 aarms. wanted some andice on my machine and when to replace by engine bearings? I have the engine out and have to replace the top end piston went. hey what have you done to your engine? thanks

Old 09-24-2001, 01:50 PM
Trailblazer

Check out this site (http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Dunes/6243/). It is devoted entirely to Tecates. Corey Sprock, who owns this site, is a wealth of knowledge on Tecate performance. Incidentally, I have two Tecate-4's on this site.

Try Steve Sidleck (rjssms@enter.net) for Tecate parts. At one time he had a set of extended A-arms, but I didn't see them in his last update, so I don't know if he still has them. (I think he was asking around $675 for them with a bumpsteer kit.) E-mail him, and he will put you on his mailing list and send periodic updates as to his inventory.

If you are in the process of overhauling the top end (you didn't mention if it was a catastrophic failure or a routine top end job), and the bottom end has never been touched, it is cheap insurance to split the cases and replace the bearings at this point. It is, after all, at least 13 years old (if it's an '88).

The motor in my '88 is still bone stock, and has approx. 200 hours on it, but the seals are drying out from lack of use. My '87 was severely abused and required a MAJOR overhaul. I spent more than half of what the quad cost me to have the engine rebuilt. Now I'm wishing I wouldv'e just bought an older KX500 and swapped the motor into the Tecate (it's still a wild hair I've got!).

Old 09-24-2001, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks alot! The only problem I have with rebuilding the bottom end is I don't have a manual to go by. I am sure I can do it. the only part that is worring me is the transmision any suggestions? or maybe do you know of anyone who has the manual scaned online? thanks

Old 09-24-2001, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer

Check out www.buykawasaki.com. You can input the year and model of quad, and select "parts diagrams" which will show you exploded views of just about any part of your quad, including the transmission. It also includes factory part #'s, making it really easy to call your dealer and order parts (unfortunately, availability, or lack of, is a big problem!).

Finding a manual online will be difficult, if not impossible, because of copyright laws. Factory shop manuals are drawing big money on e-bay, too. I sold one to a guy on this forum for $15, then, not even a week later, I saw one go for over $125 on e-bay. Oh well, good thing I'm not in this for the money!

Old 09-24-2001, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer
Old 09-24-2001, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks I did know about the buykawasaki site. So where are you from? How long have you had your t4?

Old 09-24-2001, 04:08 PM
Trailblazer

My location is under my name to the left of the post. Puyallup is about 35 mi. south of Seattle, 5 mi. east of Tacoma.

I've had my '87 Tecate-4 approx. 1-1/2yr., and my '88 for a little over a year. The '88 (the green one at the top of Tecate Connection's home page) was a spur-of-the-moment purchase after it failed to sell on e-bay. I wasn't aware of the auction, but the owner posted on this forum that it was still for sale, and considering the shape it was in, I didn't bother to haggle on the price. I don't regret it one bit! It's a blast in the dunes. I've been to Florence, Oregon several times this year, and I'm hoping to make it at least once more before winter. Fantastic riding there! Any decent riding in Alaska?

Old 09-24-2001, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

There is some good riding in alaska I like the track and there isn't enough of them but the trails are a blast! So where did you get your aarms?

Old 09-24-2001, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey I am going to go ahead change by bearings but if I get in a bind putting it back to gether do you think you could scan or photo copy a couple of pages for me? Thanks

Old 09-24-2001, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

The A-arms were already on it when I got it. I don't even know who makes them any more (if anybody). If you need some pages from the manual copied, I'd be glad to help you out.

Quick Reply: Who has the tecate 4s out there?