Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

How reliable are the bore kits for the Mojave and Lakota? I own both

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 01:41 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello I own a 99 Mojave and a 01 Lakota, and I would like to get a bore kit for both of them. I am not a racer but like Lurch said "if you own a Mojave and have even thought about the 330 bore kit, then get it." I would like a little more power out of the Lakota, not that it sucks but it would be better, and the Mojave is the quad I love so I want to fix it up really nice, and smoke all these warriors, and 400ex. Ok so lets get to the point I have heard some readers say that doing these mods to your quad, make it very unreliable. Is this true? I don't know why it would be and if you think about it the Mojave and Lakota are both two very reliable quads. So to those of you that have kits on your Lakota or Mojave could you send me some feedback on how reliable they really are, I would really apperciate it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Keep Riding it's the only way to live[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2001, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

The 2 machines are reliable, but when you start demanding more power out of motor the more it stresses the components, especially when your boring. It will take more maintenace as well. If you have the time and don't mind paying more attention to it and turning a few more wrenches, my man have at it. I'm sure it would be well worth it. Keep in mind there is always a compromise for power and speed.

There is an old Dirt Wheels article '99, don't know the month[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img], that did a head to head comparison on stroked 350 Mojave and LAKOTA. If you do a little research you could prob. find the article I'm speaking of. If you do and would be so kind as to share it with the rest of us would be great! ([img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]I've planted a few seeds on an other post about the article too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])

Old 09-28-2001, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Unreliable, I was the one who said it and it was a general statement not ment for any one quad.
I have a tone of experience with big bore kits but not on a quad.
Try to make it clear on who you purchase it from on projected carb sizes or jetting requirements.
Also what to expect in rpm ranges and spark plug heat ranges.
A good engine builder will have what they call a cut sheet. What this contains is all the varribles to how far you want to go.
I was brousing threw the new topics the other day and seen a topic on how poeple felt about after market companies. This will be very useful to you as you will need tech advice some were along the line.
I have no opinion on who to use butttttt I did notice that out of the ten or so poeple that were in the forum none I mean none had anything good to say about mickey dunlop.
Like I said I have no opinion on any of them but go find that sight.
Good luck

Old 10-04-2001, 01:58 AM
Range Rover

Hello

I have heard from two readers about how reliable these kits are. Is there anyone else out there that has more info about it. There has to be someone who believes these kits are reliable. I would just like to hear both sides of the matter.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2001, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

hey guy,
I see your still looking at big bore.
I try to steer poeple a little away because of the possible cost.
If you want reliability, one of your first problems would be carburation.
I don't know what your engine builder says but first 38mm carb.
A 34mm or even a 36mm will have to be jetted too high to give you worry free ability from the 0-4000 or so rpm. Not to mention the needle will have to come so far out of the hole idle will probably be a nite mare.
Your building a new machine. 330cc say mild if no head work to begin with, then a 38mm carb with plenty of main jets.
Now don't worry about needle or idle circuts at this point. Don't even worry about the head except for any mods that are a must to fit your big bore.
You are correct in wanting to be more eficent and doing all your mods at one time. But if you do the big bore and get a good carb (stalk) you can set what is called a base line.
Once you have established a base line then start your port and polishing, followed by a full re-jet job.
Now I understand thiers just so many that will tell you do this and that, but thats not what your asking your asking for reliability.
And remember your building a new machine your low and mid range are no longer garranteed.
Establish a base line first.

Old 10-04-2001, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

No one had anything good to say about Mickey Dunlap? Lurch sure recommended him and I personally havent seen any posts stating other wise as of yet but that doesnt mean they are out there.

I think an overbore is probably the most reliable bottom end work you can do. Provide the cylinder walls have the material to give up you arent changing a whole lot. Stroker kits to me are the ones you have to worry about. Typically the piston is shorter, the crank is different (doesnt mean its bad), and the rods are longer. Blow by can be a big issue. Wrist pins can have a lot more stress put on them as well. A well designed kit however will take all this into account and you should be able to enjoy a reliable quad.

Any mod you do outside exhaust has the potential to add more stress to the engine. I wouldnt worry as much about the reliability as I would who is doing the work. Its so hard to find someone that you can trust to do it right (and the first time) it almost makes it not worth doing at all sometimes. Best of luck to you, Aaron.