Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Fuel leak and won't start - Lakota 300

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2001, 01:12 PM
mgp
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello folks,

First post here - glad I finally found some Kawasaki guys.

Anyway, My '98, for the first time ever, will not start. I'm no cycle mechanic so I just sit there and stare at it...and it doesn't seem to be working this time, hehe.

I have noticed fuel dripping out of a rubber hose in the past but had no problems starting until now. This hose comes out the bottom of the carb. I unscrewed the "drain screw" as the manual refers and put it back in tight but fuel still pours out when the fule valve is on.

Is this why it won't start? The engine sortof changes pitch of sound when I give it gas and put the choke off and on, but only the occasional sputter, no crank. Checked the plug, blew compressed air up into the tank. Can't get this fuel to stop pouring out that tube...what's up??

Mike
South GA.

Old 09-29-2001, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

Hay mike, nice of you to join us.
Lets get to it.
Your problem, is very small.
Remove the carburator. This is fairly simple. ( if you need instructions go to atv home page type in lakota in search box. then go to the phase #2 It think and you will be instructed how)
Remove the float bowl ( four screws). Then remove the float.
A float needle probably came out with your float.
Blow low pres air threw the line that hooks to your gas tank, the trash will come out were the needle was.
After re-installing the float, tip the carb upside down, insure the float is level as this is the proper way to hold the correct level of fluid once you have it back together.
Now the real problem mike is you need to drain the gas tank and remove the on off valve from your tank.
You will probably find rust and trash on the on and reserve filter screens. clean this as a peace of trash has slipped by and has loged itself in your float shut off needle.
I know you possibly may braek it loose with blowing air into the tank, but it doesn't get it out of your carb.
Thiers a bunch of lakota guys on here unfortinately I'm the only one here today the others are out riding (those lucky basterds)
Now mike please try and take your time, your bike is trying to tell you somethig.

Good luck!!!!

Old 09-29-2001, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

To follow up on what Gaff said, you need to check your plug also. You may have flooded it and fouled the plug. It should still start with the float stuck. Atleast my Mojave did. It obviously has fuel if it is running out of your carb so check your plug, see if it is "wet", if so it won't start. If the plug is dry, check for spark by laying your plug against the cylinder head and cranking the engine. I have a feeling that it is simply the float stuck and when you tried to start it all the exess fuel fouled the plug. I had my float stick on my Mojave after about 2 weeks. Aparently The tanks are known for having plastic shavings get into the carb. Do yourself a favor and put an in-line fuel filter on it once you get it fixed![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-01-2001, 09:50 AM
mgp
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys.

Ran out of time this weekend so had a friend work on it.

When I get it back I'll go through the process regardless of whether or not he fixed it and make sure everything's cleared out.

Mike