Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mudbugs on 650

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had mudrunners, but I hear that they ride extremely well for a mud tire. They are close to 589 tires in mudding capabilities.

I didn't like the blackwater tires. They are a pretty good all-around tire, but I wasn't impressed with them in mud. They would clog up real easy. The ride and handling was ok.

The honda I rode with the dirt devils handled pretty smooth. They didn't seem to vibrate much. They were decent in the mud. I like these better than the blackwaters.

I've never had 489 or 489XT tires, but I think I may try those next.

Old 01-28-2002, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

http://edit.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/r...dir=/Robophoto

cant say anything bad about these 27 inch muddrunners i have over 1000 miles on em and they are still looking good.any question fire away as it would take all day to tell you how much i like em the stock tires are just plain dangerous. i can still wheelie with the best of em maybee not at 15 mph but from about 2mph nail it an leanback and i have got it to about forty till i bring it back down as i cant see over the front and think i may run in to somthing.

as for trail riding i ride with a raptor ,400 ex, 500 scrambler 2wd and a few lakotas almost every week and i stay with them but some of thoes tight turns take some good brake work to whoa it down.

Old 01-28-2002, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

There is a good article (shootout) at www.atvnews.com for all 25 27 28 inch mud tires.
It was between 589, Dirt devils or mudrunner after reading atvnews about how all these tires did in there test mudrunner were for me.
I am glad I got them because as ROPA stated the stock tires are dangerous.
www.atvnews.com

Old 01-28-2002, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Ropadopa, It looks like you have 25" or 26"
Ok, lets talk mudrunner pluses for a minute.

1. Most people like the traction.
2. Most people say they wear well.
3. Most people say they ride well.

Minuses
1. Some people say they rob some power (I bet a bigger tires do that)
2. Some people say they do not handle well at higher speeds so well.

I guess that stuff did not form into a question. I want a decent riding, decent handling 27" tire that doesn't suck too much power. Do you guys think 27" mudrunners are the answer?

More people have told me that dirt devils and kenda bear claws are the answer to that question (note that the question doesn't say anything about taction).

Old 01-28-2002, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

NYROC
As we have talked before about my tires (mudrunners) .I went with the 26 inch because I didnt want to big of a tire plus didnt want to lose power. So 26 inch on all 4 corners

I think this was the way to go. I lose 5 mph of top speed I cant feel any power lose on the low end. I can still wheelie If I lean back. I do not have a hard time handing the 650 with these tires. I had the 650 up to 48 the other day on black dirt at tower city with no front end wobble and its was still going. On pavement after 1 city block I have the 650 up to around 57 /58 mph with stock add 5mph.
Read the article at atv news if it give you good details

Old 01-28-2002, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, I read that article, and I read another which rates titan 589 ahead of the mudrunners. Other oppinions point toward other tires.

Sometimes I feel like I am going in circles (a pun!) about ATV tires.

One thing I do know, is that mudrunner owners like their tires and I probably would too.

I just want more clearance, so will get 27" tires, but I don't know which kind yet.

Old 01-29-2002, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

NYROC
If you lived closer I would tell you to come over and take my 6540 for a ride.I have no regreats about getting the mudrunners. If you dont like them after you get them let me know or place them on e bay.

Old 01-29-2002, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

No worry. I keep asking people I meet around here too, to see what they like. I am still savin money for tires. I am getting overly excited about it before I have the funds.

I want to use my Mudzillas until the ground is dry everywhere. I have till then to save for softer, more hardpack worthy tires.

Old 01-29-2002, 09:41 AM
Trailblazer

Those are 27 " muddrunners and they are alot bigger than stock i did a right up on them when i first got em weight /size and ride Tread depot set me up nice as they dont hang out of the fenders and the ride is better than stock.They made the bike a tad slower but then again slower than what Banshe/400 ex/quadzillas i was able to out drag a 400 ex the other day i launched in 4x4 mode and switched back after we got rolling it was a muddy road and the 400 hundred had a hard time hooking up dont get me wrong he usally beats me but that was a good day, besides i think my quad isnt in the same class as thoes bikes but its sure fun hanging with em.On another note i can still take a grizzly 660 out of the whole but in the midrange he will pull a bike lenghth on me but he is in stock tires.

Ps remeber the best tires in the world have GOODYEAR written all over them dont be fooled on thoes other name like MUDZILLA,BLACKWATERS,TITANS,BEARCLAWS,RRRR im sure there other good tires out there but just like the same reason i almost bought a GRIZZLY instead of my litle ole prairie.. Dont let the name fool you.

Old 01-29-2002, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

Roofer,
if your interested in the Mudbugs, check out the GBC Gators. They are 2 lbs lighter and have the same basic tread pattern. After seeing the type of conditions you have at the cabin, I could see where you would need a good mud tire. Either the Bugs or Gators should offer good traction and the ability to clean themselves.

Quick Reply: Mudbugs on 650