Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mudbugs on 650

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got to go out this weekend to my cabin to finally get to see what my 650 will do. Holy man does this thing have some power! I thought my Xplorer had power being a 2stroke, but this thing blows it away. I have ridden HO's also and there is no comparison in power. My only complaint is the clearance it has. I am thinking about 27" Mudbugs on C-series Alum. rims. I saw in another post that you can get 27x8 for the front and 27x10 for the rear and they aren't too heavy. The question I have is how do they ride? I want something that will give more clearance, not be too heavy, and be able to hit the mud when needed. I have some 26" 589 MT's now for my Xplorer, but the fronts are too heavy and too wide. I think I might just sell the whole set. Anyone have Mudbugs? Do they ride OK on hard pack?

Old 01-28-2002, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

I too seek tire knowledge from the all knowing ATV oracle, <cough> er from the forums.

I have been searching long and hard reading old posts and stuff.

My searches tell me the mudbug does not have a very smooth ride compared to mudrunners, which are not even the best for ride anyway.

Although the mudbugs are some of the lightest tires in their class, and have great bite, some say they do not ride as good as some of the other non overly aggressive tires. ATV magazine says they are better in the mud than mudrunners, but not as smooth riding.

There is no perfect tire, and possibly no perfect tire for you. But, the mudrunner may be a really good tre for you.

I am trying to ask around for people that have titan 589's (the 3 ply one I think is called AT). These seem to excell at doing both trail riding and mud, better than mudrunners, better than blackwaters, better than bearclaws and dirt devils.

Caution, what is the 589 I am talking about? There is a Titan 589 M/T and an ITP 589 M/S. They all look kinda alike. The 589 that I think is called AT is the lightest and best riding, best handling, less power robbing(but may not hold up as well as the other 589's which are 6 ply.

A lot of guys get heavier tires, then do perf mods to get their power back after giving some up to heavy tires.

You can't have your cake and eat it too with tires sometimes. Unless of you have two sets, but then you have to change them at the right time, or even take them with you.

I am still trying to ask some more people about Titan 589 AT.

Old 01-28-2002, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Roofer hows it going? Im running 28-12.5 Outlaws on the rear and 28-9.5 Outlaws up front both on stock rims. I also have a Highlifter lift kit. So I don't have a problem with ground clearance (14.5 up front). I still have plenty of power with that big of tire! still pulls wheelies at 15 mph, can't wait till I get my HMF exhaust and K&N air filter also my jet kit!

Old 01-28-2002, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replies guys. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

nyroc>> From what I have gathered, they ITP 589's weigh about the same as my MT's. Not sure on the width, but I would guess they are as wide also. They say 9" wide front, but they are wider than most 10" tires.
Mudrunners to me look too much like stock and I wasn't impressed with them on other wheelers in mud.
Like you said, you can't have everything I guess with tires. One aspect has to suffer a bit. Is there any other 27" tire that you can get in 8" wide? Anyone have mudbugs? And how do they measure up to the specs?
Thanks guys. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2002, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell ya, a couple of people posted angrily about their mudbugs being short. They felt that the way maxxis kept the weight down was to make the tire a little smaller than advertized.

I can't find a single other 8" wide 27" dia tire anywhere. I am going to settle for 9" on the front.

Old 01-28-2002, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Boy these tires are a hard thing to choose. The dealer sells 27" ITP 589's on ITP wheels and he says they run good. Says they are a little tough to steer, but not bad. When I looked at them, they stuck out past the fender well in the front more than I like. The fronts just look too wide. I'll have to look again and see if they are 9's or 10's on the front. The way it's looking I might be better off just getting new rims for my 26" MT's. It's just that the Mudbugs are quite a bit lighter. My 26's measure about the same as a 27" Mudshark. Quite a predicament. I guess I have till Spring to decide. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-28-2002, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

<< still pulls wheelies at 15 mph >>

My 650 can't pull wheelies even with stock tires. I can't believe it pulls wheelies with 28&quot; outlaws.

I highly suggest to anyone who is getting new mud tires to get them on separate rims. I'm glad I did. I have 27&quot; titan 589AT on steel rims. I do a lot of fast dirt road riding (~40-50 mph) on long rides and the 589s don't handle that good at that high of speed. I have the tires mounted on 12&quot; steel rims from a kawasaki bayou and they don't stick out past the fenders. And I also think it is worth it to get aluminum rims because the steel rims are heavy. I'm not saying the ride of the 589s is bad; they just don't ride as smooth as stock tires when going fast.

I had blackwaters on my polaris. They were good all around tires, but they didn't clean too well. They were ok, but not as good as the 589s. My buddy has dirt devils. They ride pretty good, but they aren't as good as the 589s in mud. I also ride with a guy who has vampires on his honda. They ride rougher than the 589s, but they definately are better in mud.

I'd like to see someone put 28&quot; EDL vampires on the 650. That would be awesome.

Old 01-28-2002, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

92LT, you have a lot of good tire knowledge, let me ask you a question.

If someone was dead set on 27&quot; tires 9&quot; wide or less in front, do you think your 589AT tires are the best riding, best handling 27&quot; tire? better than Blackwater XT? Better than dirt devils, mud bugs, and mudrunners?

I am not as concerend about mud since I already have 28&quot; mudzillas on steel wheels.

I bet there is no 27&quot; tire that can ride as good as the stockers, or handle as well at high speed.

I do not feel that kenda makes a bearclaw narrow enough for my front tire needs, so i have to exclude that one.

Old 01-28-2002, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

I have the 589at, they are a 3 star tire but 4 ply. They do ride better than the MT's

Old 01-28-2002, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Guys
I have 26 inch mudrunner on my 650 .These tires really are very good and handle very well. Alittle rough on flat pavement under 10 mph .
I just got back from Tower City riding in PA .The guy a ride with rides a yahama warrior and I have no problem keeping up with him.
After riding just 10 miles on the stock tire I had to get them off this beast.
I mounted the 26 mudrunner on the stock rims .Lost about 5 mph top end speed.

Back to the tires .I was on some ice at tower city then the ice broke and the 650 was in about 15inch and mud,water and ice .I then but it in 4 wd and hit the gas WOW did the quad lift up and dig its way thought this stuff. 2 other guys I ride with throught I was stuck. No way. I have climbed some pretty steep hills with these tires. I also run over some big rocks,rocky trails and go over this stuff at 25 to 30 mhp.
It took sometime to get use to the tires and quad after this past weekeknd at tower city I feel good about the tires and 650 overall. But my arm are killing me today. Just got done cleaning off the the priarie and I need hot shower for my muscles.

Gb in NJ
If anyone want me to e mail them picture of the tires mounted on the 5650 let me know

Quick Reply: Mudbugs on 650