Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

ATV INSURANCE

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious is most of you all out there insure your atv's or does your homeowners policy cover them...and what if its on your trailer out on the trail??

Thanks,

Old 01-29-2002, 08:38 AM
Range Rover

After my buddy had two quads stolen out of his garage and his homeowner's insurance refused to pay. I decided to check out insurance on mine. My homeowner's said it would not be covered, that I would haft to have a separate policy. I pay about $200.00 dollars a year for full coverage. It's worth it to me after seeing my buddy's garage door torn completely off the tracks. They said it would be covered against fire and theft. They said the cost depends upon the value of the quad and the rider's experience. I own a new Prairie 650. Good Luck

Old 01-29-2002, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

Does any body have insurance on ther atv here in PA? What does it cost here and who did you go through??

Old 01-29-2002, 09:52 AM
Range Rover

I have my insurance through Geico. They set me up with a company called Foremost Insurance Group. Good Luck

Old 01-29-2002, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

I called geico, but they tried to set me up with an expensive policy.

go to www.markelcorp.com for what I found to be the cheapest insurance.

Old 01-29-2002, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

I am thinking about insurance for my quad and also my boy's quad. If you find a good policy in p.a. let me know. His buddy ran his into a tree three weeks ago and it is going to cost me 1,000.00. I'd rather have the insurance company pay for it, than me

Old 01-29-2002, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have it on my 650 through statefarm. Full coverage is $82 a year. I'd watch out for Foremost
Ins. I had Forememost for House Ins when the flood hit Houston. They totaled 1/2 my house and refuse to do anything with the other house. Would never under any condition have dealings with them. But that's just me. Most car ins will carry a 4 wheeler.

Old 01-29-2002, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer

As a former auto insurance claim adjuster (worked for State Farm 6 years ago), I can offer some insight here...

While protecting the machine is nice, the real importance to having insurance is to protect yourself- from liability claims.

If you cause an injury, you are responsible for payments and, depending on the state that you live in, a bodily injury could cost you tens, if not, hundreds of thousands of dollars - literally.

If you don't have the money to pay the medical and legal bills, they can take it from your future earnings. So you can forever be screwed....

I think, at the least, it's wise to get liability insurance. If your machine is worth it, you might want to consider comprehensive/collision coverage - it's a personal call. Liability insurance for ATVs is pretty cheap, the collision piece is usually where a majority of the costs lie.

As far as homeowners (Fire and Casualty) policies go, it could depend on your state's insurance regulations. If someone steels your machine from your house, your homeowners policy MIGHT cover it. Contact your agent for a definitive answer.

Also, for a couple hundred bucks a year, you might want to look at getting a Personal Liability Umbrella Policy (PLUP). They are cheap money and they extend your liability coverage up to $1M for everything that you own (car, house, boat, ATV, snowmobile, etc...). Mines $200/year.

These are just my thoughts, these machines can be dangerous and injuries/deaths do happen. I am not in the insurance business, I do not sell it or anything like that, I just have first-hand knowledge about liability and bodily injury claims. I hope this info is helpful.

Old 01-29-2002, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

I strongly recommend that you insure your ATV's. In October we lost our house, two vehicles, and two ATV's in a house fire and Progressive Insurance had the ATV's replaced in less then a week. Besides, I was visiting with a friend who is a State Trooper and ATV theifts are up over 60% nationwide and quickly becoming an epadimic - Should you get insurance? No doubt in my mind!!!

Old 01-29-2002, 05:22 PM
Trailblazer

Have Progressive insurance for $125 year on a K 650. In case of fire or theft it's worth it. The liability insurance is a big plus.