Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

gaff...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I finally put the 13 tooth sprocket on. What a ******.... to get the nut off, holy crap. Like you said, I think this the right gear for it. The Lakota is running strong. My fuel leak was due to the float valve. Replaced it and the steering stem ball joint. Solid as a rock now.

Took the boy to the Badlands Sunday. We had a blast. My buddy, who had the Trailboss 325, bought a Black and White Raptor Saturday. He took it to finish the break in on it. Christian's did awesome on his quad. That thing is great. I rolled mine. There was a couple of guys in a sand bowl, one on a Raptor and another on a 400EX. My buddy, his girlfriend, and my boy were all at the bottom of the sand bowl off to the side watching. I headed up to the top and that is where I got close to the other guys. I decided to follow them. I followed the Raptor and just hung right on to the back of him, the 400ex was elsewhere. I had followed him twice up and through the bowl b4 he knew I was there. We came up the side of the bowl and he stopped and looked at me. I told him I was just riding with him and following, he said cool and headed over to his buddy on the ex who was parked up there. I made a couple more passes by myself while the group still just watching on the side. I came back up the side of the bowl where these guys were still sitting. The guy on the Raptor kinda nodded for me to come over. Both of them were looking at the side of my machine to see what it was as I came up beside them. The Raptor guy said "that's a Lakota, man that thing runs good". They wanted to know what I was riding, they were amazed how it ran. They talked to me about it for a little bit. That made me kinda proud of it. While I was talking to him the clan headed up and we decided to go into the woods and ride the trails. Bob(buddy just got Raptor) took off and I started mine, said see ya basically to the guys, and headed after him. Well I thought I would get a good wheelie going and hit the throttle to catch up to Bob. As I rode it for several yards let the front end come down and on the throttle. Bad decision. As soon as the front wheels hit I see right in front of me a dip and the about a 2' straight up berm. My front wheels go right into the dip and up the face of the berm, as my rear tires hit, the rear end catapulted. I landed on my left front wheel and off it throws me. I hit pretty hard, I wasn't exactly going real slow, landed on my tail bone and slammed my head into the ground. As my head hit, felt like I layed there for a couple of seconds, then see the quad coming in my peripherial (?) vision. I started rolling and then up on my feet. The quad stopped. Nothing serious, bent my bars (again) and had to reposition the brake level and on/off switch housing, fixed it back at the truck and back at it. I'm okay sore as hell today. Feel like I bruised my tailbone. That's what I get I guess for showing off a little.

Old 02-12-2002, 01:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Stebob- always remember 'rubber side down'. Glad no major injuries. It want be long and christan will want to ride like daddy does.

On a positive note- shipped the raptor engine to TRINITY racing for a nice increase in power, and a major decrease in the wallet. Those modded 'shees are fast.

Old 02-12-2002, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds fun, bet your son got a good kick out of it!

I'm glad you like that 13T sprocket, you'll find it makes the ride a good bit different, but gives you the mid-range speed to keep up with the bigger quads. I do find I can keep up with the raptors in the woods and on the track, one time I finished third and realy thought if i had some tires I could have past him, but who knows, I've been beside them sense trying to pass, and all they have to do is blipp the throttle and leave ya!!

I've been still strugleing with getting my sons bike bored out, but finally got it all ready to put back together, next week I hope to have both done.
I read the GNCC Has changed the 200cc class (known as the blaster class) to a four stroke 350cc and below. Now we can realy look for a good chance to see a Lakota pull out a couple wins this year.
I also tested the lakota with the front rims flipped a little, hay I like this.

But come thursday I will be back to rap with you all, been wondering about 14's engine, but Maudi Gras and family being down for it has taken up all my time.

Old 02-12-2002, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

14mins,
Good to hear from ya! Yeah, I always try to remember that rubber side down thing and can usually live by it, but....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]. Yeah, I know the boy will be riding like me someday and that scares me to death [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Wow! The Raptor is gonna flat out scream. My buddy just bought a black and white one on Sat. How long is it going to take them to get it done? What all are you having done? Any work to the track?

Gaff,
The 13 tooth made quite a diff. I didn't notice anything missing from the bottom end, but the mid and top are much better. Wheelies are about the same.

Glad to hear your boys bike in on it's way to recovery. I bet it'll fly.

Old 02-12-2002, 11:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Stebob- trinity basic 686 kit. new valve springs, mid top cam, 11-1 piston, porting, bore 102mm, 1500.00. to thiskit they are adding a carrillo rod, oversized valves, pro-porting and all the goodies to put it back together. Adding a new clutch.

The track- same old same old. Need to do more work. Thinking of having a raptor roost march 16th. Need 3 days with a track loader to finish.

the power to the rear wheels 70. That is why i wanted to know about the 65 horse banshee. Want to make sure that i am the fastest on the playground. Can always install a 25 shot nitro. Building motor for max durability under conditions. More mods to follow. 1st to be fortin gears lol.

Old 02-13-2002, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

7ohp to the rear wheels!!!!!??? I couldn't imagine. Where can you actually use that kind of power? Is Kermit open enough to where you can stretch it's legs? Well I guess your pasture is big enough though ain't it!? How much longer of a swingarm will you have to have? I bet the acceleration is out of this world. I know there is faster, but damn. That has to be just blistering fast.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Stebob- can't wait to see if true. You can never have enough power. The swingarm, i will have to wait and see. We have added a 800 ft drag strip. We could add more, but the speeds are plenty high now. 3 raptors, 3 bomb650's , 1 'shee (in shop for technical difficuties now) and a 250 r run regular now. One bomb is going on the bottle, one bomb on alky.

Kermit has lots of wide open space.

Raptor- i would rather have too much than not enough.

Stebob- when is the next trip to TEXAS?

Old 02-13-2002, 07:55 AM
Pro Rider

Once you start stretching her out you'll loose the MX and woods manner of the machine, but with the 70 HP, sounds like 14 is going to be trading that MX track in for a big sand bowl.
Wow thats a amazing amont of HP, they realy said that it would give that much!!!!!
I hope you stop back by and let us know how it turns out.

Stebob,

now that your handle bars have been brought to thier limitations, again, whens the new set coming. Let me know, as I won't be able to get any untill all what I have going on now gets done.
I also can't imagine how you got that nut off the sprocket with out air, I bet some loud cursing was going on, but atleast it's done now.

Old 02-13-2002, 10:20 AM
Range Rover

hey guys I also put the sproket on too but it was easy becaus all I did was got a long soket wrench and a pipe to exsted it and i put it on the nut and lade the handel on the front fender and turned on the atv and put it in drive 1st gear and whent forword and it came off after i gave it so gas. And to put it on i did the oposite put it on the back fender and whent in revers.

Old 02-14-2002, 01:02 AM
Range Rover

Gaff- What's the deal with the change on the GNCC? Last year at Loretta Lynns about the only class my Lakota would "qualify" was the utillity unlimited, because of the chain drive. That is the class that all the Polaris scrambler's run.Talk about being outclassed 500cc, or 400cc 2 stroke. Those guys times are right up there with the PRO class! Let me know what class you are talking about and the change.