Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Thinking of buying a prairie 650, help..

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 10:59 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dextreme...it's most definately the truth about the machine. I don't care what others say...this quad IS the cats ***. These people that talk all this BS about the 650 are full of it. As far as problems go, the 650 has encountered the same number/type of problems other quads have...the thing is that the 650 is such an untamable beast that people HAVE to talk all this BS about them and their problems so THEY can feel better about THEMSELVES and THIER machines. But what it comes down to is these things are ALL subjective...UNTIL you get on the trail.

What I don't understand is why everyone is classifying it as a Sport quad and comparing it Scramblers. It's like comparing a Chevy Silverado HD to a Ford Escape. There shouldn't even be a comparison. If they are in the same class I want to see them do what these Prairies are capable of doing, I want to see a scrambler pull 200+lb boulders out of the ground. I want to see a scrambler creep over logs and trail obstacles without getting thrown off from the speed needed to get over them. The prairie does have a sporty feel to it, anyone can ride the **** out of it and get that feeling. But you put this machine to work and it will shine like the last bottle of Sam Adams on a college refridgerator. There is NO DOUBT in my mind that this is a Utility machine that also handles like a Sport machine...when you want it to.

Do not take this post the wrong way. I am not biased. I have never ridden a Grizzly or Scrambler. I think the Grizzly is a real nice quad. I've ridden sportsmans w/ IRS and thought it was OK but could see how it would seem uncomfortable at times, and also see how it would be awesome at times. I like the Grizzly's ground clearance a lot but am not sure if I would like the higher center of gravity (Off camber hill climbing is sometimes difficult to do, combined with IRS would take a lot of getting used to). The powerplant isn't as productive, whichever way you cut it, as the 650. The Grizzly certainly has power, but for comparison purposes it doesn't measure up, period. The Grizz also doesn't have the acceleration, torque, sport handling characteristics that the 650 has. The Grizz doesn't have the 'oh sh*t...I need this' diff. lock 'NOW!!' lever, and requires you to plan your excursions in or around mudholes so you know if you're going to need the diff locked ahead of time. The Grizz doesn't have the 'stop you as quick as your tires can get traction' brakes (front and rear). Like I said...it's all subjective...or is it? Are these facts or just my unbiased biased opinions?

The Grizz does have nicer factory tires, has a meaner look from the front of the machine, is MORE utility like and is real good in seriously trecherous trails. But those trails aren't that much fun. I want to tear it up when I ride. I don't get a sh*t eating grin on my face when I climb through mud or rocks doing 5 mph. I get a sh*t eating grin on my face doing 35-45 mph, powersliding the rear end around corners while throwing gravel and rocks from the rear tires at the quads trying to keep up behind me. Besides with the torque and acceleration that the 650 has, who cares about ruts and ground clearance if your gonna make it to the mud hole FIRST....EVERY TIME.

Like I said...just my unbiased opinion. Or is it?

Old 02-18-2002, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

Parker650: preach brother,...Preach [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I love my 650!!! I just dropped it off at the Dealer for the 10 hour, and some Amsoil 10W40. I can't wait to get it back, so that I can finally open it up and roost all over who ever tries to keep up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2002, 04:12 PM
PG
Weekend Warrior

Parker50

I could not have said it better myself about the Prairie!!! I also ride a 660 in addition to the 650 prairie. I can only say that you would be pleasantly surprised at how fast you can rip down the trails on the Grizz. The Grizz is second only to the Prairie in this respect. I love them both on fast trails. I hope you can ride someone's 660 sometime. Too bad I live a few states away as we seem to like the same type of fast trail riding.

Old 02-20-2002, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider

hey parker,
you said you cant power slide a grizzly??? man, you odviously havent ridden one!!! and to say a grizzly has to go around a mud hole to see if he needs locking diffs, lmao!!!! never buddy!!! i dont know how fast you can enter a 3 or 4 foot mud hole, but i can lock mine while in anything, if i need it. but WITH irs, i can go through so much more than a solid rear axle without having to lock mine. you brag about the lever and being able to lock it at any speed, and thats cool. but did you ever realize thats couse you have to lock it so much more without irs??? i bet it is!!!as for saying the engine doesn't compers to the prarie, well your right. it is made by yamaha, not kow. it is however real fast and powerful too. you act like the prarie would just leave the grizzly in a race, not even close!!! the biggest lead a prarie has EVER had on me was less than a quads lenth, and i took it at top speed, period! i can wheelie mine just like you can. i have ridden with praries, and find one thing to be fact. the cant come close to the suspencion of a grizzly, and in the rough trails, ( and i am talking about at 30 mph or faster) i leave them. with the anti sway bar on, the grizzly handles the hills just fine too. off camber is not an issue with me while i have thesway bar on. now, i might take it off in the future, but it can be insttalled or removed in less than 5 minutes, witch is compariable to the cables needing adjustment on a prarie. do not underestimate the grizzly, couse people who do usually end up trying to keep up with them.

my jumping and riding pics

Old 02-20-2002, 09:33 AM
Range Rover

I might be missing something but...Isn't there a Yamaha Forum in here somewhere?

I never said I couldn't powerslide a grizzly. I admitted to not been able to ride one yet. I never said you couldn't wheelie a grizzly...re-read the post man.

Mich660Griz...thats all fine and dandy, but those are all subjective opinions. How can you objectively determine which setup is superior? You can't...

And as for leaving Prairies in the dust on the trails...If you see me on the trails (you'll know its me cause I'll be the one in front of you)...good luck to ya...

Old 02-20-2002, 10:53 AM
Range Rover

mich660griz~

What do you say we just leave Parker650 in his own little dream-world? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I guess one way to think of it is:
The more people who beleive a one-sided opinion, the more will buy the 650. That just means there will be more people to eat our dust.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

. . . . . Bring 'em on!

Old 02-20-2002, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

Just look at the January 2002 issue of Dirt wheels And i Quote "The Kawasaki 650 emerges as ourt all-around pick for PURE sport4x4 performance" this was aganst teh grizzly 660, sportsman, and the Quest. Enough Said!

Old 02-20-2002, 12:03 PM
Range Rover

"I guess one way to think of it is:
The more people who beleive a one-sided opinion, the more will buy the 650. That just means there will be more people to eat our dust."

You guys amaze me...are you that blind and opinionated that you can't see what your saying...or are you that self-conscious about owning an inferior quad that you have to retaliate with these self-boasting replies? I wasn't bashing the grizzly...go back and re-read the post a few times, maybe you'll better understand it. Until then.....

Post your opinionated comments at ATV Connection --> Yamaha so you'll have other people to cry to....

Old 02-20-2002, 12:06 PM
Range Rover

monteSS~

Thanks for the quote from some desk-jockey, magazine editors. For every assertion on 'The Best' machine, there is another, in some other magazine, that contradicts it with a different opinion on which is 'The Best'.

(You might make your point a little better if you learned to write. Spell-Checker is a wonderful thing.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img])

Old 02-20-2002, 12:10 PM
Range Rover

<< monteSS~

Thanks for the quote from some desk-jockey, magazine editors. For every assertion on 'The Best' machine, there is another, in some other magazine, that contradicts it with a different opinion on which is 'The Best'.

(You might make your point a little better if you learned to write. Spell-Checker is a wonderful thing.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img])
>>

hmmm......ATV Connection ---&gt; Yamaha.....

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a prairie 650, help..