Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Thinking of buying a prairie 650, help..

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They ain't to bright!
They ride a grizzly after all!

Old 02-20-2002, 12:24 PM
Range Rover

Parker650~

Sorry, I must have somehow stumbled on a private forum. I don't know how I did it . . . I thought it was a public discussion based on a question by 'susex7' who was trying to figure out whether or not to buy a Prairie 650.

I guess the issue of machines boils down to needs and the 'real world'. As 'mich660griz' has indicated, you may be able to get a jump on me off the line, but I will not only catch you, I will pass you, and then when we get off of the trail into the 'rough stuff' the 650 won't be able to follow the same line or negotiate the same places because of straight axle.

And that's the real world . . .

I was just adding a touch of reality to an answer to the original question posed by 'susex7'.

I can say these things because I've done it, more than once.

Old 02-20-2002, 12:30 PM
Range Rover

Ratman:

I am sorry...

...You and your Grizzly are the best.

What was I thinking...

Old 02-20-2002, 01:20 PM
Banned

Hi accesstx,

I see that you sold your Banshee for the Prairie 650. Well, I basically did the similar, I just sold my Raptor and I'm looking to buy either a 2002 or 2003 Prairie 650. Can you tell me what you like best about the Prairie and how long did it take you to get used too.

Thanks,

IronBear

Old 02-20-2002, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

Funny about how I've narrowed my search for a new utility atv down to the Grizz and Kawi. I'll be riding the Grizz this weekend. The SP700 would be in the running, but the EBS is too xtreme for my style. I think it is the best looking unit out there.

Every atv I've looked at has some shortcomings . . . no perfect machine out there for my tastes. The Quest has a definite parts availability problem in NW PA. The Grizz 600 had a very poor reliability reputation. I've heard from my nephew and other owners that the 660 is a different beast when compared to the old 600. We'll see.

The Kawi 650 needs some stiffer front springs to be able to support a 60" Moose plow blade. Well, actually all of the atv's need stiffer springs or at least spring rubbers to help in this area with a plow. I think the Prairie 650 racks are really pretty cheesy. They will probably do ok for what I need, but they don't look stong enough with all that plastic. The Kawi could stand some ground clearance help also. And, oh, yes, the all important rear hitch is an option, not standard. Now that's really stupid for a utility atv.

With the exception of the SP700 the OEM tires are a real joke on all of the utility atv's. And the Polaris is not exceptional, but it does not take much to beat the Dunlops that many are using. If anyone is going to do serious snow plowing or mudding, new tires and probably wheels are in order on most/all of the machines.

I'm selling both of my Polaris atv's which can be seen at our atv site listed below. Time for a change.

Old 02-20-2002, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

hey parker 650,
i wasn't going off like you might of thought i was buddy. i was stating my points just like you were. i did read your posts, and thats why i responded to it like i did. alot of people say the prarie is sooo much faster than the grizzly. well the truth be known, i have had the privledge to race a few of them, and i just dont see it. dont get me wrong, the prarie is a great running machine, true off the line power, but it also has alot of shortcomings. in the latest magazine shootout, the prarie did not do so good aganst any irs quad in the mud. the 700 won, but barly against the grizzly. i still havent seen any solid rear axle machine keep with me in the rougher trails, even at 35 and on,( talking bout 4x4 quads). i have also seen more than 1 post saying that on open trails, the prarie would win every time, not true. the prarie is the fasest off the line, but i have cought them and passed them on the long smoother trails. am i knocking the new prarie, hell no. all the better in my eyes to have it out there. nor am i saying the new grizzly is godsent, not at all. they all have flaws, and they all have there advantages. but i will say one thing, i had a prarie try to jump with me, and at 25, he bottomed out so bad he thought he broke the quad, then i took it at 40 and come down so smooth, i went 8 more times. the grizzly's adjustable suspencion is a must on 4x4 quads in my opinion, and it is just my opinion.

my pics

Old 02-20-2002, 08:52 PM
PG
Weekend Warrior

I happen to ride both the 650 and 660. Although I do aggree that magazines seem to always have an agenda, or biased opinion, I TOTALLY AGREE with their findings in the January 2002 shootout between the 650,660,700, and the Quest. I think they were right on the money with the Kawasaki being the best sport 4x4 and with the Grizzly not far behind. I find all that they said about suspension, handling, hill climbs, lower and upper end power ect.. to be true. Let me say to you guys, who have Grizzlys and have never ridden a prairie or vice versa, the same thing I said to Parker 650: ride the other bike and you will be pleasantly surprised. Look, no one atv is going to have it all. Let us not act like babies and downgrade the other person's machine. Despite all the opinions and brand loyalty out there these two machines, the 660 and 650, are VERY CLOSE in overall performance. This is fact, not subjective opinion. MOST PEOPLE WOULD BE HAPPY AS HE!! with either. I just saw the new Dirt Wheels where the Grizzly finished just behind the Sportsman 700 for king of the mud. The Prairie finished just behind the Grizzly-further supporting my previous statement above about no one quad being the best at every category. Find someone with a differant ride than you have and trade for awhile. I am glad there is a variety so we can ride them all!

Old 02-21-2002, 01:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

IronBear-

The Banshee was definetly a wild ride. The 650, by comparison, feels top heavy and soft, but is pretty fast as well. As I have read on this site, swapping to tires with more plys should cure some of it's tippy feeling. As soon as I get a little more wear out of the stockers I'm upgrading. Other than tight corners at high speed I can go about the same speed on trails. The front end seems to dive pretty good going into turns. But now I don't have to go around the mud or carfully pick a line through creeks or rocky sections. Wide open on straights the Banshee would kill the 650.

I'm getting a year round hunting lease in South Texas this year so I wanted something that would fulfill that need and also be fun in the woods on weekends with the girlfriend.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, as I'm extremely happy with my decision.

Glenn

Old 02-21-2002, 09:40 AM
Range Rover

PG: You are right...I admitted not to have had the opportunity to ride a Grizzly.

Anyone in New England with a 2002 Grizzly wanna go riding and test ride my 650?

It's all good....

Old 02-23-2002, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

I would go with the 650 since there is so much good about it and I am not sure that Honda can make a first year product real good anyways.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a prairie 650, help..