Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

NO!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sep1,, Ican only tell you why I bought a 650 istead of the others that are out there.Before I tell you why I'll tell you that I also considered the Scram5004x4, Sportsman 500HO, and Suzuki Vinson500.

First of all ,,,I wanted a fun trail machine.That ruled out all the Hondas(too rough on the backside),the Bombardiers(Too heavy and sluggish)and the Cats(same reason as bombardier)

I wanted to be able to haul my Girlfiend through rough,slow,hilly and muddy trails without toasting a belt every other day(a belt runs much cooler in low range). Out with the Scram!

The plastic front end and the heavy feedback in the handlebars of the Vinson ruled it out(oh yeah,no locking front diff, either)

Finally,,,,,I just PLAIN DID NOT LIKE the Sportsman ho.

Grizzly and 700 SP were Sky high in price and weren't even considered by me.(I can't see anything there for the extra cash)

So there you have it. I settled for the only option left and I couldn't be happier.I,ll think of you while I'm riding and your wrenching.

Remember; check the chain tension, swingarm bushings,hub washers,axle nut torque,grease it,etc,etc,etc.

Old 02-18-2002, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

I’m not trying to down grade the Kawi by any means. I was a little harsh in saying that it doesn't handle very good. I should have said it doesn't handle like a SCR. The ride I thought was a bit stiff; then again the bike is 3mos old. My SCR is 4 years and 4000mi old, and yes I do maintain it, and no broken anything. I think the SCR are great, but then again, I posted here to get a good comparison by many owners, not just my (trying to be) un-biased opinion. Yes, I am considering retiring the SCR to the wife, and getting a Kawi. I'm not B.Sing when I said I do get my bud's Kawi. in a race(by 2-3 lengthsabout 100yrds.). The reason I am considering a Kawi is for this reason. My SCR has a bunch of mods nothing radical, but enough to give it a lot better acceleration and top speed than stock-and I only get him by the slimmest of margins. I would hate it if my bud's Kawi was modded (clutch and pipe)the thing would absolutely kill me. I just wanted to find out would I miss out on handling and ride if I go with a Kawi. I looked at a Grizz, can you say cheap, the machine looks like it was put together with straws, so that is out. My brother has a Sportsman, rides like a Caddy, but again, can't handle worth the S**t(compared to the SCR). A true sport is definitely out. One of our ridding pals made the mistake of getting a Raptor. Lets just say he is either home a lot or getting pulled out. Defiantly need 4X4, and an auto, he actually wore out a pair of gloves pulling his clutch in and out on one ride. I am partial to Kawi being a former Tecate (3 wheeler) owner. Now that had an engine to bad I sold it to get QuadSport(230). So tell me, was I wrong by judging the handling characteristics of the Kawi650 to be less than the SCR. Will the suspension break in to give a better ride? I really love that engine; it has so much darn potential. Just don't want to jump into a purchase with out some advise from people who have been in the saddle for a little longer (2 rides about 25mi) than myself. Thanks for the advise.

Old 02-18-2002, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

I have only had my Prairie 650 for 2 weeks, but I think that it rides really nice. I have not ridden a Scrambler, but I did consider it before I bought the Prairie 650. The reason I decided on the Prairie 650, was all the industry first innovations that it offered. The Prairie was the first to offer:
1: First and only V-Twin designed specifically for this quad.
2: First lockable front differential. Grizzly came out after the Prairie, there for they just simply copied the idea.
3: First and only ATV to offer dual piston front disk brakes for superior stopping power.
4: First and only ATV to offer a sealed, multi-disc, wet brake system for the rear brake.
5: First and only ATV to offer gas tank under the seat for lower center of gravity, and better handling with a 53/47 front to rear weight distribution.
6: Air filter where gas tank normally would be, high and dry.

These are just some of the industry first innovative ideas that the Prairie has. Combine that with the fact that the Scrambler doesn't offer a Low range 4x4 system, or lockable front differential, and now you clearly have the prairie 650 in a different class. Every magazine article and shoot out that I have read praises the prairie's handling abilities, like I said, I have not ridden the Scrambler, but I haven't seen it get the handling praise that the Prairie has, they all compare the Prairie to the handling characteristics of a sport quad. Mine seam's to handle very well, and rides smooth as well. The Prairie 650 will out accelerate a Honda 400ex, which I was told that a Scrambler cannot do, so if your Scrambler will out run a Prairie, it must be pretty modified and very fast.

We all have are personal preferences, and mine is the Prairie 650. But I'm sure that a Grizzly owner would fill just as strongly about his machine. If you truly think that the scrambler is the better machine, than I would suggest that you buy another one, when it comes time, after all, it will be your machine, not ours. There for, buy what suits you best, and makes you happiest.

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2002, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

Sep1, my friend wants to sell his 2001 Scrambler 500 4x4. It is in excellent cond, and has a speedometer and some other extras. Know anyone that wants a scrambler? I think he want around $4500 for it.

Old 02-18-2002, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

Sep1,,,you sound to be a reasonable guy.I haven't ridden the Scram,,But I have spent plenty of time in the saddle of a 96 Explorer 400.(4000 miles on it when I had it) It rode better than my 650 and Ithink it handled slightly better myself, but they're pretty damn close!
Anyway, based on that and the Scrams I have had out ahead of me,,A 650 just won't handle like your Scram.If Polaris would put the 500HO in the 400 Explorer chassis with its high/low range and super rear suspension travel,,it would be the perfect quad for me.I haven't seen anything go through the deep stuff like a 400Explorer with a decent set of tires!!

Until they do,though,,,I'm100% positive I'll be happy with my 650!!

Old 02-18-2002, 05:21 PM
Range Rover

I have owned a 2000 scram 500 4X4 for 2 years. I purchased a 650 kawi 3 months ago and needless to say I have not ridden the polaris since I purchased the kawi. It now is up for sale and only gets ridden when we have an extra rider.
Reasons for buying Kawi 650 vs. Scrambler
1)Engine is smother and the bike doesn't rattle.
2)The kawi will out climb the scrambler, with better stability.
3)Can't put 27" tires on a scrambler and not burn up a belt
4)Scrambler is good in the mud for a semi-sport bike, but will never keep up with the kawisaki in the mud.
5)Scrambler has no low range.
6)No chain to maintenance.
7)Kawasaki is faster stock to stock in low, mid, and high.
Reasons for buying the scrambler
1)Turns much easier when in 2 wheel drive.
2)Handles better on tight trails.
3)Jumps better.
4)Takes up less room in the garage.

That is just my opinion after owning both machines.
3)Better lighting.

Old 02-18-2002, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

Hey kawlaris, I posted an scrambler for sale in the polaris section, and got a serious buyer just two hours later. We aren't really competing against each other, I'm kinda far from where you are. You might wanna try it after mine gets old.

My friend is getting rid of his scrambler for just about the exact resons you are.

Old 02-18-2002, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Area51, hate to hurt a fellow 650 owner, but you are wrong when you say that Kawie had the first locking diff. Suzuki is the true innovator of the locking front diff. I had a 1986 LTF250 4x4 and it had a locking front diff. It only worked in super low range, but it sure worked!! As for all the other pluses to owning a 650, rock on brother!!! The 650 is a true screamer!!