Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Turned my 650 into a submarine need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok the story is i was trying to cross a road that was about 3 to 4 feet under water. got a lil off corse and the quad turned into a submarine or floating bob rather. i drained the carbs fuel tank i know i have to do the oil next. i also took the plugs out and pumped the water from the motor. it will idle now but will not take any throttle. if u gas it it cuts off. need help !

Old 02-18-2002, 12:21 PM
Range Rover

you might have done these already but here they are. First drain the oil until ALL the white stuff is out not just once, check the diff fluid, drain the carb, drain the gas out of the tank, stand it up on the back rack and drain the exhaust drain your air box, and that about it

Old 02-18-2002, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

My 650 did this once, but it was caused by a little mud and a little carb ignorance on my part.

Do what ARMudder said first, especially about the water in the carb. It would easily blow the water out the exaust.

The carbs are CV carbs, which usually means those little pistons in the carbs are controlled by vacuum (You control the butterflies). They affect off idle mixture, and if there is something wrong with them, you can't make run at all except for idling.

Anyway, check for water and mud in the vacuum diaphrams, or in the diaphram vent hose. This hose is the one that is in the air filter box. Check it/blow through it all the way down to the exit.

Also, this hose, as it leaves the airbox, works a little better if you do not push it on all the way, since the fitting it slides onto is made to let air equalize. I stupidly pushed it on all the way and wondered why my 650 ran so bad.

Also, if you took the airbox off, make sure that rubber guard that the airbox inlet goes through is not blocking the inlet. I dumbly made this booboo too.

Old 02-18-2002, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

have fun but take the carbs out and take them complety apart clean everything.

Old 02-18-2002, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

Ditto on the need to drain the carburator bowl. I sunk my Bayou several years ago and it too would not respond to the throttle until I did so. Just like your 650, after draining the oil/water from the crankcase, it would start and idle but die once you gave it some throttle.

It is going to take several oil changes to get rid of all the moisture. Also, make sure you don't pump left over slush into a fresh oil filter. Someone who knows the oil filter design of the 650 might have a tip or two for that one.

It was over four years ago when I sank my Bayou and it still cranks and runs as good as the day I bought it, maybe even better.

Old 02-19-2002, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Coolinthewoods...I see that you have the jetted your 650...What size jets did you use front and back? Also, how much did the HMF Exhaust help?

Old 02-19-2002, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

I used Dynojet kit mains, if this helps I used DJ128 in the front and DJ132 in the rear, I gain five HP with the HMF,K&N and jetkit.

Old 02-19-2002, 11:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanx for the help fellas. i also have the HMF,jet kit, and k&n filter. i notice a good power gain. my submarine is still down i think it have engine problems from the water =(. i will keep u informed.

Old 02-19-2002, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Coolinthewoods, I have worked my way up to DJ132/DJ136 cobination and have modified the airbox. I have 2 friends that have bought 650's after they road mine and I am a little faster than they are but not much. Did you ride with the Jet Kit/Filter before you installed the HMF Exhaust? If so, how much did the exhaust help? I am wanting to get the new SuperTrapp that is available.

JohnEagle...What jets are you using? Do you have aftermarket exhaust?

Old 02-20-2002, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the HMF slip on and i am using the dynojet jets. i am using the same numbers as mentioned above the 128/132 combo. that is what dynojet recommends on hte instructions for what i have and location i am in.

Quick Reply: Turned my 650 into a submarine need help