Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Question on oil level on Bayou 300

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a 86 Bayou 300. And i changed oil with amsoil two weeks ago. Although i put almost all of the two quarts in, it ran and shifted good. My nephew takes my quad out riding this past week, and checked oil after running it a little and thought it was low, so he added some more normal oil. He says he only added about 1/4 quart. What kind of effect can i expect this to have on the quads running/shifting? Unfortunately he returned it with it not being able to start; but he said that it acted up a couple times while riding; which it never did to me. So now it's in the shop getting looked over as to why it won't roll over. Wanted your thoughts.

Acted up-->
1. while riding wide open through mud, he said when he shifted from 3rd to 4th gear, it would slip into neutral, then it would idle down and grab and then stall. and seem stuck in 3 or 4th gear until he rolled it. Couldn't even shift it into neutral. Weird.
2. Couple times while riding at lower speeds, the quad would sputter, and idle, but would stall if he gave it any gas. He said, seemed as if it wasn't getting enough gas to rev higher.

Any idea guys? Can an overfill of oil by 1/2 quart or less do this much?

I read on the board here that it's normal to not be able to see oil in the sightglass while the motor is running? Is this correct?

Thanks a bunch. I'll post what they find. They said if they have to go into the transmission, it could get costly because of the teardown/rebuild labor. Thoughts?

Old 03-30-2002, 08:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Initial response from a friends dad who is the mechanic at the local dealer is that alot of the wiring is just old and from all the whoops while riding, caused alot of loose connections. So he's fixing them. He noticed the oil level and is going to drain some out and readjust the clutch along with checking timing and valve backlash. *whatever that means* He's also adding a shim to the starter because it engages rough with the teeth of the flywheel?

Let ya know more when i do