Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 vs Griz: Top Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 03:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What have you 650 owners found out running with the Griz? I've heard the Kawi has more bottom end, but what happens on a long drag?

Old 04-04-2002, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

They have about the same power top end, so the 650 jumps ahead due to much more low rpm torqe and maintains that lead.

You can beef either one up if all ya want to do is drag race. There is a whole lot more power to be unlocked from the 650 than the 660.

My griz friend and I talk about it all the time, the 650 engine is smoother gutsier, and just plain MORE FUN.

The 660 has more ground clearance, and has more minor anoyances, like flimsy running boards, rev limited diff lock, flaky skid guards. The hitch breaks off. Many people are getting gas boiling in the tank. Many others are complaining about instability with bigger tires and rollovers. Bolts rattle loose due to engine shaking. Not one of these things is a show stopper. The griz is fun, and way better than the that overweight alternative quad with IRS.

The 650 seems to have undergone more serious testing and design development, it shows in little places.

The bottom line is if you hafta have that ground clearance, get the griz. Ride is not at issue here. The 650 does not ride as good, but still rides really well.
I still pick the 650.

Old 04-04-2002, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

keep in mind most of these problems you listed are only problems with the earlier models of the grizz, they fixed a lot of them on the later ones. if you wanted to look at early model problems, ALLmachines have these, and there is no amount of testing that can be done to predict some of these problems.

Yes some may have more than others, but face it, nothing with an engine is going to run perfect and have all the problems worked out. It is easier to detect a problem with something when you have thousands of them out, instead of a dozen in testing.

Now i think it is up to the individual to decide which quad they want, instead of having a non stop measuring-up-to battle between these two machines. yes the Prarie is more sporty, and the grizz is a beter tough terrian machine ( comfort and clearence wise )and that is what it all comes down to in the end.

p.s. notice i did not mention the "other" IRS quad, to me it is out of the question.

Old 04-05-2002, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, the company that makes that "other" IRS quad, is probably alienating intelligent people with their lack of realistic comparisons against the better quads.

They actually have the stupidity to claim theirs has a particular better feature, when it is not a better feature. They even give check marks to their quad, when the 660 has a better spec! I learned in kindergarten that this kind of misrepresentation is just plain lying. They brag about their single brake system too. Only good for people that are too lame to be able to think about whether it is safer to use front or back, or more fun to use front or back. The 660's front suspension is clearly better than that "other" quad, yet that comparison of theirs claims it is better.

Another thing that ticks me off, they are not true 4x4, they are electromagnetically actuated All wheel drive. The 650, 660 and some Suzukis are true 4x4. I guess I would be insulted if I was brand loyal to a company that overtly misleads and misrepresents facts and twists logic to their target customer base. It would make me feel like they were calling me stupid, or theat they only were selling to stupid people.

I realy don't hate that "other" quad, so much as I dislike the company that make it with their lack of honesty advertising.

Old 04-05-2002, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading these posts I have to laugh. You guys keep bashing that "other" IRS machine. LOL Face it..Yamaha basically SCRAPPED the old Grizz and copied the Sportsman 5oo from the ground up! IRS, "on Command" 4x4 (name sound familiar??) etc etc etc..........

I visited a Kawasaki shop today to look at a 650. All the guy could talk about was this, that, and someting else, being better than a Polaris 700. He said Polaris every other sentence. It was funny. Obviously you could tell who set the mark for others to catch up to. LOL

02 Sportsman 700

Old 04-05-2002, 01:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I like the parrie 650, rode one in the dunes. It smoke a grizzly in a 800 foot drag. I bet trinity could do a grizz make over, that would leave the kawi sucking wind. The kawi looks to be DS modd style. $$$$$$$$$$ I wish i could talk my wife into a parrie 650, but she has never seen 5 th gear in her bayou 220. lol

Old 04-05-2002, 01:38 AM
Trailblazer

I have raced grizzlys off the line (2) and beat both... as to top speed? i really dont know . both top out around 64-68.. but the prarie will beat it without a doubt because it gets off the line quicker and gets right to the top end where as the grizzly takes a little longer and they just stay at the same pace once they are topped out.

Old 04-05-2002, 04:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the info. I'm waiting to see if the rumours are true about Suzuki getting the 650. IF they are then thats the way I'll go. Kinda sold on the Vinson right now, but I'll wait a few months. I know the Vinson is a step lower than the Kawi and Griz, but it's got enogh of everything for me. I think its the best of the 500's. IMHO the new Honda (Rincon) will under the gun in the power dept and I can only imagine the price. I won't consider a Polaris. too many poeple I know that have em and they're always getting fixed. I know they're getting better all the time, but why take a chance? Plus the resale is not like a Jap quad. If the 650 Suzi does not happen, it's the Vinson or the extra $ for the Prairie...