Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Steering stem for Prairie 650?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 09:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I crashed my bike long ago and had the shop install a new steering stem/handlebars as the other ones were bent up pretty badly. Anyway, they didnt send me a bill for a few months as I'm a regular customer there (have another HIGHLY MODIFIED bike as well as many friends I go there with) and they billed me for 4 hours of labor!!!! Can this be right? I know some of you have smacked your bikes up and had to replace these items...How much time did it take or did the shop bill you for? I think my shop usually is honest but there were some other charges that were a bit high as well this time. I guess they like working on sport bikes, where most of the repairs are simple, and not these monster utilities. Anyway, thank you for your anticipated responses.

Regards,
Andrew

Old 04-11-2002, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

Upended mine also and suffered the same damage. Did the repairs myself. Whether 4 hrs is fair or not, I wouldn't do it for less. It's a real pain as everything [plastic] has to be removed and put back on from the rear fenders forward just to gain access to the steering shaft. Problem is we better get used to it because the way the steering shaft is designed it is very frail and won't take a roll over.

Ordered bars and steering tube at the same time. Dealer got the shaft in 3 days and it took a month on the bars. Pitiful service for both Kaw and my dealer. Love the machine but this crap sure makes it hard.

Old 04-11-2002, 04:51 PM
Trailblazer

Not to get off subject here, but I have rolled both of my 650's. One off the bank of a stream, and the other on a sand flat. And so far I have had not steering problems from either.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Bent stem shaft

Pretty sure my stem shaft is bent slightly on my 650 prairie vtwin. When yours was bent was it incredibly hard to turn the handlebars? Moving or setting still. I have literally went through everything else and just noticed there was a slight bend in the shaft.

Old 10-25-2022, 07:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had to replace the bushings in my shaft. The collar at the top and the knuckle at the bottom. I could see it taking 4 hours pretty easily.