Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New to the group and a new Kaw owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 11:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I have been reading through the posts, looking and learning. There are many good nuggets of information in them so I wanted to say thanks.

I bought a Prairie 650 after looking at many of the bigger utility machines. I chose it for the straight axle, engine, drivetrain, enclosed brake, and after the test ride in snow I was hooked. I was somewhat skeptical of the transmission, but I figured that I would try it. My girlfriends son is a mechanic at a large local Honda dealer and he gave it the thumbs up. He did advise me against brand P even though they are a dealer. I tend to keep things a long time so I look at simplicity, minimizing maintenance and complexity, performing the tasks that I do, and having fun. The Kaw was the best match.

A couple of weeks into ownership and I have some questions. I have a lot of thorns here. Real tire killers, locust and honesuckle. I was only a couple of days and the first trip into the woods that I had a flat. I am thinking that 6 ply gators or similar tires might help resist punctures. Comments?

I am also thinking that I'd like to mount them on a spare set of rims. You guys that have bought new aftermarket rims, interested in selling the old rims?

On the winch install, I didnt like the idea of having the wires exposed, so I flush mounted the switch on the fender, used a knockout punch for a nice clean hole, and made the connections under the fender. Makes a clean installation.

This is long enough for my first post to this group. Thanks guys!

Bob

Old 04-10-2002, 11:59 AM
Range Rover

Bonza:

The only modification that you REALLY need to appreciate this machine is TIRES. The stock tires (2 ply) are absolute crapola. I was fortunate to not have gotten any flats on my 650 before I changed out to 26" Goodyear Mudrunners (4 ply). My dad's 650 wasn't so fortunate. He's had his rear tire plugged twice and a blow out on the front from running over a stump slowly and puncturing the sidewall. These tires are horrible and traction is minimal compared to aftermarket tires. The power of the 650 is amazing, however it doesn't mean anything if you cant get the power to the ground, the stock tires just don't do it. Traction from aftermarket tires is worth every penny.

As for tires, you need to figure out what type of terrain you are going to conquer. Mud? Snow? Hardpack trails/fire roads? Woods trails with a little of everything? Once you have determined that, pick a tire that will do what you need it to do. Also keep in mind that if you want ground clearance you can go with a larger tire.

As far as rims go, many aftermarket rims are aluminum and much lighter/stronger than stock. They can get pricey. I chose not to b/c of my fund situation and left the stock rims on. Wouldn't mind having a spare set of rims/tires though.

I run mostly woods trails with a variation of terrain, minimal mud holes, but some of those holes ate me up last year and I don't want to have to worry about it. I chose the mudrunners because they have a real aggressive tread, wear well and have a center-pad in the middle of the tire that smoothes out the ride on hardpack. Mud tires most of the time run rough on hard terrain. Thats ok if you don't mind...but I really didn't want to get rattled every time I ride. I haven't had a chance to try out the mudrunners but short little jaunts around my house seems just as smooth as stock. I like an aggressive tread because my personal preference is maximum traction...and from what I've heard this tire has it (but isn't the only tire out there that does either).

There are many tires out there, and many in 6 ply. Just keep in mind that the more ply's the tire has, the heavier its gonna be. I only have an interest in All-terrain tires so I'd say to look into the following tires (in order of aggressiveness): 1) Bi-Claw (front)Tri-Claw (rear) combination, (2) Goodyear Mudrunners, (3) ITP 589 M/S or 589 M/T, (4) GBC Dirt Devil XT, (5) Kenda BearClaws, and (6) Maxis Shur-Tracs. There are many others out there, but I am unfamiliar with them.

If you want more info, do a search on this board for tires (general or by specific brand). You'll find loads of info. Also check out other ATV forums for info. There is a wealth of knowledge available through these...use them frequently.

Good luck

Old 04-10-2002, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the Connection!
See my signature. These tires are 26". The offset on the "C" series wheels give a 2" (total) wider track. Have fun with the new toy.