Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 400 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 03:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

I have a question about my '01 Prairie 400. I've had it a little over a year and have noticed from the beginning that it creaks in the front end during sharp turns. The creaking comes from behind the front wheels and it also happens when hitting some uneven ground. Is this sound normal for the Prairie 4x4 or do I need to have it checked out? When I grab the wheels at the 3-9 o'clock position and wiggle them, the creaking also occurs. Am I concerned over nothing? thanks for your input.

Old 04-21-2002, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

I would suggest that you either try harder to find the creak, or get someone to do it, since it could (remote possibility) be unsafe if you had a problem with the front susp while going fast.

Lotsa times, if the factory forgets to lube a tie rod end, you will get some creaking noises long before it gets loose. My truck did this, two tie rods were dry. I poked a grease needle through the boot to lube them. I probably will have to replace those later.

A loose bolt could do that, and that is worse.

Sometimes the strut mount makes noise, or the strut dust guard rubs the spring, that is not a problem.

Old 04-21-2002, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

My 97 done this and it turned out to be the bushings in the lower control arm were dry. I would check them and see if they're worn since they went dry however a little silicone spray may solve your problem if they are not worn this is all I do to the 97 model.

Old 04-21-2002, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

it sounds like you have the same problem i had with my 300. they changed the front spindle to an aluminum casting. the noise is the front bearings rocking in it. all they have to do is use red locktite on the front bearings and it fix the problem. they will probably cover under warranty since it is a common problem. hope this helps.

Old 04-22-2002, 11:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Robbieg, it looks like you were correct. I called the local dealer and he told me Kawasaki was doing the modification free of charge. He said it wasn't a "recall" but a factory modification. I guess they don't tell you about it unless you complain. Mine is in the shop right now and I should have it by the weekend. Thanks a bunch for the tip! r...

Old 04-23-2002, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer

glad to have helped out. rob

Old 09-02-2002, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer

rmwest,
Could you tell me exactly what the dealer did and did it work? I have the same problem.

Old 09-02-2002, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

The wheel bearing fits too loosely inside the hub, allowing a slight side to side movement of the bearing which gives you a clicking noise. The dealer will take it apart and slop it full of lock-tite. This will get rid of the noise.

Old 09-02-2002, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer

Why wouldn't they just make a bearing to fit? Does the locktite go on the spindal or around the inside of the hub and what does that do to the bearing?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 09-02-2002, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

i would think you put the locktite on the spindle where the bearing seats and put some on the outer edge of the bearing. mine was fixed about a year ago. ive put on 500 miles and have had no problems.

Quick Reply: Prairie 400 4x4