Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 Seizure/Vapor lock?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002 | 02:02 PM
|
Range Rover

For the third time I tried to start my 650 and the engine locked up (like it's siezed) after about 1/2 crank of the ignition. Hitting the start button, the motor just clicks like (A)it's frozen or something is stuck preventing the crank from turning and (B)the pistons are locked up. Shut it off and turned it back on (allowing the servos to reset) tried to start it again, same. Pulled the back-up starter cord and wouldn't budge, like it was locked up. Waited a bit, tried EVERYTHING again, nothing. I sat around nervously...opened the fuel cover and it hissed, releasing pressure. I grabbed the starter cord and it turned a little. Turned the ignition on and hit the starter and it turned over. Wouldn't fire up for about 15 seconds though, then ran fine.

Now, the first time this happened I had done a 60 mile ride and went through some mud. I loaded it on the trailer, drove it home the 3 hour trip but I haven't been turning the fuel shut-off off, I just leave the shut-off on all the time. The last two times the temperature was a lot warmer but the machine was in my garage so I didn't think that was a factor.

My personal opinion is that somehow I got mud up into the inside of the tubular frame. The gas tank breather hose (vent) actually extends into a hole in the tubular frame underneath the right rear fender just behind the gas tank. I think the breather hose or frame is clogged. I don't know what the heck it is. But it doesn't make sense that a clogged breather hose would make the engine not turn over at all.

Anyone got any similarities or suggestions? I am up for anything...

Old 04-22-2002 | 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

My freinds 300ex would do the same thing and it turned out theat the hse was wrapped around a wire and was being pinched. We re routed it and it was fine ever since. just look for any where the hose is being touched it might be enough for it to be pinched and not let it vent.

Old 04-22-2002 | 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

Parker...It has happened to me a few times...I can not figure it out. It only takes a few tries and it starts and runs great...I do not have a clue why it is doing this.

Old 04-23-2002 | 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

The next time it wont turn over remove the sparkplugs then see if it will crank over.It's my guess that the carb is leaking fuel and filling a cylinder up with gas which is not compresable(sp?)See if it spits gas out of the sparkplug hole when you crank it with em out.If it does you have a carb delema or its building up too much pressure and getting past the needle and seat assembly.It would also be a good idea to ground the plug wires so that you dont have gas and sparks around.

Old 04-23-2002 | 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think the cylinders are filling with fuel. taking the gas cap of would have no bering on it starting then. Just check your oil dipstic for gas.

Old 04-24-2002 | 12:03 AM
Trailblazer

That has happened to me two or three times. The machine is clean and it was on warm days. I'm thinking that tank pressure is building and overcoming the float needle valves and dumping into the cylinders. With raw fuel in the cylinders you have a hydraulic lock. Waiting, pulling the recoil, and waiting again cleared it after a few min.

Bob

Old 04-24-2002 | 12:52 PM
Trailblazer

This may or may not be related but I had the same symptom with 302 mercruser boat engine. I had water leaking into the cylinder from the cooling system and had hydrolic lock. It happened a few times and I wasn't sure what it but every time, it would start if I waited a bit. I had initially thought it was bear spot on the starter or low battery becuase I could hear the starter soloniod click. One time (the last time) it happened, I turned it over and it locked, tried it again and it started but I ended up bending a connecting rod. The piston ended up hitting the crank and destroying the bottom end of my engine.

If you do have hydrolic lock, be careful not to keep trying to start the motor or you might bend the rods. Chris142 has the right idea. If you do have hydrolic lock from fuel or whatever, the engine should turnover if you remove the plugs. Check for liquid coming out the plug holes.

Old 05-01-2002 | 10:58 PM
Range Rover

I took my 650 to the dealer today to check out an intermittent squeal in the drive belt. He told me the Kawasaki rep was in yesterday and said they were having a vapor lock problem if you don't shut the fuel off when not running the engine. The fuel tank builds up pressure (he said it was a pressurized fuel tank?) and fills the cylinders with vapor which causes the lock. They say turning the fuel off whenever you shut the engine off corrects the problem. I have have never had the problem myself but I'm pretty good about turning the fuel off. This is most likely the same problem you're having.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2002 | 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

partsman2, what did the kawasaki rep say about the belt squeal? Will they be coming out with a different type belt anytime soon? I'll be taking mine in for that pretty soon too.

Old 05-02-2002 | 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

Parker,

<<...opened the fuel cover and it hissed, releasing pressure. I grabbed the starter cord and it turned a little. Turned the ignition on and hit the starter and it turned over. Wouldn't fire up for about 15 seconds though, then ran fine.>>

a few questions...

1) I have had a bike running and then it would quit..& wouldn't start..I removed the gas cap (it was almost stuck) and it hissed..this was vacum build up due to the tank or roll over valve not venting...I have seen them implode steel tanks on bikes becuase of this..

2) the tank vent if clogged will allow pressure to build up in the tank..ever notice that when you pop the vent on a small gas can there is always pressure released... by turning off the fuel it will keep the pressure from pushing fuel past the needles in the fuel bowl & putting raw fuel in the cylinders..

sounds like it is something to do with the vent..if you ask me..

Quick Reply: 650 Seizure/Vapor lock?