Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

ATV Theft prevention

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets get a post going to help the prevent the theft of our ATV's.
any heplful hints or what do you do to protect it since summer is comming and more riding will be done.

I will unload my 2 atv's off the trailer even though I store the trailer in a garage with the atv's. In the trailer reciever I put a old cut off ball in it with a lock on it. (Making the A$$ hole theif work for it!!!) I dug a deep hole in the back of the garage with steel pipes and so forth through it with 6 bags of cement in it. I dropped a small bucket down into it(to make it harder for a hacksaw to cut) with a stainless steel pipe filled with cement at the bottom of the bucket with just enought room for the locks. Have fun cutting it![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I then have a 4'8" New York Noose with the matching locks by Kryptonite around the main frames and locked to the pipe.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Plus then I have insurance on them even if they get the locks or any thing else. I do agree vin # for parts thats not a bad idea.

When they are on the trailer I use all high grade locks on the hitches and reciver. I drilled large holes through the frame platform of the trailer and right above the frame so I can take those locks and chains through them and around the frame.

So let get a good post going on protecting you ATV while storing it and transporting it. Say if you have to leave it in a parking lot to go eat or something.

Old 05-09-2002, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

Here is what I do with my ATV on a trailer. Are you guys familiar with the receiver pins that lock your receiver to your truck? I have two trucks, a Ford Expedition and a Jeep Cherokee. One has a Class III hitch and the Jeep a Class II hitch.

The receiver pin for the Class II hitch fits nicely into my pin holes on my trailer. There are three pins that go into these holes that hold my ramp up and in place. My trailer is one that has a mesh ramp attached that folds up as a gate when not in use. Yesterday I bought some additional pins at $20 a pop but I have three of those pins in place on my back gate. These pins are awesome because they are thick and the only cutting points are within the steel of the pin holes in the trailer.

My trailer also has steel rail guards so picking the ATV up over them is close to impossible.

In addition, I back my trailer against something whenever I can. May it be a dumpster, lightpole, or another buddy's vehicle. I also have a Kryptonite lock on my pin hole of my coupling that attaches to the ball on the truck.

I also turn off the gas and let the engine run for 30 seconds until it starts to sputter then I cut the power. If at all possible, I do not fill my 650 with gas until I need to use it or until I absolutely have to when I am on the road with it. I like to bring it with me for work when I do overnights in western, ND. I stay in a Ramada Suites hotel and can usually get a room overlooking my car one floor up but by the staircase.

I also run cables and locks through the tires and frame in zigzag patterns with multiple locks hidden under the ATV. As a last resort, I always have my Sig Sauer 229 ready to go when on the road. One never knows.

AT home the ATV is in the garage, trailered, but I also use the same precautions.

Daryn

P.S. I pay $200 per year for full insurance which includes theft, comp, and liability with a $250 deductible.

Old 05-09-2002, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

As a H.D. owner, I have heard MANY, MANY theft stories. My 2 best suggestions would be GOOD insurance and "stealth". DON'T ADVERTISE YOUR MACHINE TO THE THIEVES. Keep it out of sight AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Know/understand your ins. policy. What is the deductible? Will your machine be REPLACED with new, or will they give "current market value"? Talk to your agent. Accessory insurance is cheap, too. My policy covers up to $1K in accesories, like special wheels, tires, etc. In parking lots I keep the rig in sight, while I am eating, etc. I have found MANY motel owners very helpful in securing your stuff overnight.
I have been told that many theives stalk there victims. They get to know when the guy goes to work, gets home etc. There is no such thing as "theft-proof"! You can only slow them down, which is ,itself, a deterent. INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK......I'll get off my soap-box now.......................

Old 05-09-2002, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

Thats what the Kryptonite chain is and instead of round links they are square.

Old 05-10-2002, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Ditto on keeping it out of sight. I have known thieves to get past thick chains and locks to steal one kept out in the open. However, I have yet to hear of someone loosing one that was kept hidden from view.