Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 belt turning all the time!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 11:38 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my belt turns just about all the time now that i have the EPI springs. what is wrong?

Old 05-10-2002, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Can you be more descriptive on your condition. My belt spins when I am in neutral and idleing.

Old 05-11-2002, 12:01 PM
Range Rover

no description is needed, my belt turns all the time, and shouldnt. yours shouldnt either. the suzuki belt system is the only one that is supposed to turn all the time. just hope it doesnt hurt the belt.

Old 05-11-2002, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

If your rig is in gear (hi,lo, or rev) and your belt is turning I would hope that you are moving. If you are not then either you are in neutral or the belt is slipping around the secondary or for some reason the secondary is stuck open. If you pull off the rubber connecting boot that is right above the secondary you should be able to see what is going on. If the secondary does not close all the way you will need to take it off and see if everything is put back together right. Hope this helps. By the way the Suzuki automatic is the same as an Artic Cat and in both cases the belts do not turn all the time. They only turn when the rig is moving. In fact the primary clutch does not turn at idle. It only turns when you give it some gas.

Old 05-11-2002, 01:39 PM
Range Rover

the primary turns ALL the time, which it is supposed to. ALL primary clutches should turn all the time. if it it in gear has nothing to do with the primary turning. but my secondary turns in neutral.

Old 05-11-2002, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would not worry about the belt turning when you are in neutral. The INSIDE surface of the belt is just rolling along with the center shaft of the primary. If, however, the primary is rubbing the belt on the SIDES when you are idleing then that is another matter. Not sure what the differance is in the springs you put in but if either the spring is weaker or you put in heavier weights then it might be trying to pinch the belt at too low of an RPM. You may want to try adjusting your idle down to see if that helps. I would say from experiance if the secondary is not turning when you are in neutral your belt may be too loose. See my other post "belt deflection update"

Anyone else want to comment on Suzuki's and AC's Primary clutches?

Old 05-11-2002, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

On the 660, the clutch is centrifugal and has nothing to do with the belt. Not sure if the suzuki is like this, but the primary clutch on the grizzly is not a clutch, it is just the front cvt pulley that never lets go of the belt. These have less belt wear, but when the clutch wears out you hafta replace the centrifugal clutch shoes.

Northark, Incidental friction from the belt make the secondary turn (in neutral). Mine does it too. No mods, no nothin.

If you are grinding, then that's different, needs adjustment or something.

Old 05-11-2002, 06:10 PM
Range Rover

it doesnt grind, so im not worried. found out about an hour ago that the new springs REALLY help turn the laws.

Old 05-11-2002, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

what do you mean new springs?my belt squels right off of idle,but pulls fine while riding.can someone tell me how to ruduce low rpm slipping?ive got the 27"blackwaters so ide like to upgrade my clutching but dont know how.please help.

Old 05-12-2002, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Chop, if you call the folks at epi, http://www.erlandsonperformance.com/index.htm you may get some pretty good advice about what you can do with springs.

Otherwise, I would say you just need a belt adjustment. My belt has never been checked, but it turns my 28" zilla's really well. The spring kit may be better, but I believe that you don't actually need it.

I put my summer tires on last night (see sig) and visited my favorite riding spot, and the mud is as bad now as ever. I was so worried that I was going to get stuck without mudzilla to save me. It was close, and I had to spin the tires a lot. Mudzilla never needed to spin the tires in any of those spots.

Quick Reply: 650 belt turning all the time!!!