Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Look what I did to my 650 this weekend....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.dextreme.com/Prairie/prairie_damage.htm
(I accidently have a duplicate pic in there)

Cool huh? Gotta order parts this week... Damage could have been much worse. I was climbing a steep bank that had a large rut and bolder in it. The rear tire must have entered the rut, because before I knew it, the front tires were pointed to the sky and I had to stiff arm it to keep it rolling back on top of me. The ATV came back down onto the left front side smashing the front left.

Even thought the quad suffered damamge this weekend...it was the first time that I have found terrain to challenge the 650 and made use of the front diff lock. It would go every were the jeeps would (except when I rolled it). I got to even yank a jeep with the winch. It was a great day!

BTW: Anyone know what a new left A-Arm and front rim costs?

Old 05-13-2002, 12:55 PM
Range Rover

Dextreme.

That really sucks. But you do have to admit that these machines can take a pretty good beating. I hit a motocross rider that was doing about 30 mph with the front left corner of my 650. I was basically stopped just turning very sharply when this guy came bailing down beside me. He flew, his bike stayed up against the 650, he hit me really hard and the 650 barely budged. Only damage to my 650 was a small scratch on the front rim, a half-dollar sized dent to the tubular frame on front right side of the grill (looking from the front) and the black plastic fender protector front screw ripped through it's hole in the fairing. His bike had a dented front shock cylinder, a few scratches and a bent rim. In short, the 650 took the hit like Danny Devito trying to tackle a Sumo wrestler. I was amazed. This machine continually amazes me everytime I ride it.

With all the plastic thats on machines these days, and companies quests for making quads lighter and sacraficing strength, I think the 650 is one hell of a beast when it comes to just about any condition that you can throw at it. Good luck Dextreme with the repairs, let us know how much the parts were. By the way, I like the bent front gaurd. I think that the bent front guard up to the right headlight in your pic makes the 650 looks a little sleaker. Maybe you should bend the other one and see if it looks better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-13-2002, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Dextreme--- That too damned bad. Guess it could have been a lot worse, though. EXCELLENT pix. Those are "repair manual" quality! Were those for the insurance adjuster?
Good luck getting her back on the trail!!

Old 05-13-2002, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

I will get some repair estimates this week and let ya'll know what I am up against. When I bought the quad, I figured getting insurance would be more handy than paying extra for a warrantee. I am glad I did.

Old 05-13-2002, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

Front rim about $70

Old 05-14-2002, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

ouch! looks like my prairie 400 i let neigbor ride, he wadded er pretty good also. lower a-arm, ball joint, belt cover, belt. also the shop said the frame was bent, just about 400$ waitin for payday to buy parts!

Old 05-14-2002, 04:33 PM
Range Rover

the 650s are really stout, all except the bumper. the sides of it give to trees when you hit them too hard. Not as bad as a friend of mines griz 660 though...

Trending Topics

Old 05-14-2002, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

The wicked thing is that what got me in trouble was the hp and traction of the 650. I had the dif lock lever pulled and the tires were wildly grabbing the terrain. When the rear tire entered the rut...the quad seemed to shoot me to the moon. It was like being on a wild bronco.

Old 05-14-2002, 05:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.

Hey there well this may sound "cheesy" but my son crashed his TRX90 into a tree and bent it up really bad and they wanted a fortune for a new A-Arm so we had our welder buddy heat it up and bend it back then he put a plate over where he did that to make it stronger and I'll tell you what it's probably better than new!!!! He scrambles on it now and it didn't seem to weaken or anything this season!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'll throw the pictures of it on my website so you can kinda see the before and the after. They wanted about $200 for one @ the bike shop!!! Good luck the pics are under Sandvig4

null

Old 05-14-2002, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

I intend to bend the a-arm back and weld a plate (just as you describe) until I can get a new one.

Quick Reply: Look what I did to my 650 this weekend....