Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Torn carb diaphragm - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 10:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While re-jetting the carb about 6 months ago, I pinched and cut the carb slide diaphragm while screwing on the top retainer plate. I called the local Kawi dealer and they want $130 for a new slide and diaphragm! So I covered the torn rubber with electrical tape and it worked like new... at least for six months. Yesterday, the I could barely get off of idle, so I pulled the slide and found the tape loose. I retaped it and it's good as new (almost).

Does anyone know where to get a replacement slide at a fair price, or how to permanently repair the diaphragm? I was thinking of RTV gluing on a piece of 4 mil plastic. Any ideas?

Old 05-26-2002, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

man that sucks. 2 ideas come to mind.

Maybe take a sautering iron and melt the 2 pieces back together.
Thier is a atv salvage in kentucky 98lakota and I have found that has 5 lakotas they are parting out. Probably have to buy the hole carb and it'll be atleast a $100 I'm sure.

Old 05-27-2002, 02:24 AM
The Facility

There are no aftermarket replacement diaphragm's that I am aware of.

Usually, if the tear isn't too big, it can be fixed with super glue. Other fixes normally add too much weight and won't allow it to function properly.

Gaff has got the right idea. Check with a salvage yard for a new one. Whole carburetor or not.....it would be cheaper than a new slide alone.[As long as the slide in the used one is known to be good]

Old 05-27-2002, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider

No you won't find a aftermarket one thats for sure.

I think knowsalot has the ticket. Use the super glue first. Thier is no doubt you will know if it comes apart.

I believe it will work and if it doesn't then look into another. Or atleast it will by you some time to find a cheaper carb. I'll keep my eye out.

Old 05-28-2002, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

I just saw a catalog today that had the carbs broken down from different manifactures the web site is http://www.jrgraham.com/ you will have to order the catalog I could not find them on there web site hope this helps.

Old 05-28-2002, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

Could you use a hot glue gun to repair the diaphragm?? I know Sears sell many different stick adhesive/glue formulas for their glue gun.

Old 05-28-2002, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know if that whould work or not it may be to stiff for it to work. Gas is a problem because it eats most adhesives. what about calling around for gas resistant rubber or try and auto motive one that could be trimmed to fit. We had to do that on a fuel pump.

Old 05-29-2002, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the ideas, I'm still thinking I can repair it with a piece of surgical glove glued to the diaphragm with rtv or perm-a-tex.

Old 06-02-2002, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Be cautious with the type of glue you use! Some glues may "eat" the diaphram. I think a rubber compound or thin coat of RTV (as you stated) may be the best way.

Old 06-05-2002, 07:06 AM
Pro Rider

www.sudco.com

I forgot about these guys. See how much they have diaphrams for.

Quick Reply: Torn carb diaphragm - any ideas?