Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

nyroc's EXHAUST MOD.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nyroc--- More details on your exhaust "surgery", please.
When you cut the tip off the muffler, have many layers did you have to cut thru. Do you have detailed pix? What did you use the cut it? Your ears don't ring at the end of a long ride, do they?
Thanks, in advance, for the details.
Mike

Old 05-31-2002, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

Ears don't ring. Not much louder, just deeper.

1. To cut the end off, I used a portable bandsaw to go most of the way around, then a small air driven saber saw which was able to get most of the rest, then a little disc grinder.

2. There is a glass packed baffle in the end. I removed the core and the packing, and ground out any protruding metal. I used a hole saw, but it was hard (use thick gloves), and really was not the right tool. The end result does not look modofied, just bigger.

3. I drilled 6 3/8 holes through all the baffles. I wanted to keep them small so I would not get much more sound.

4. Welded the end back on.

Notes:
-It gave me more bottom and middle power, but I don't think it is as much as a good aftermarket woud do.
-Since I could not see the end of the pipes that connect to muffler, I don't know what is ther and don't know if there is some kind of restriction that I should have fixed. I would be very grateful if somebody could tell me what is in there (or I could just cut it off and re weld it).

http://atv.dnsalias.com/atv/index.cg...650&pic=38

Also check out pic #37 by clicking the back button.

Old 05-31-2002, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

I may have to do this............If I can QUIT riding the damned thing long enough !!!!
PS-- Do you think that I'll have to re-jet after doing the exh. mod and a Twin-Air filter? It seems to be toward the rich side in stock form. Yeah, I know, "read the plugs, dummy".
Later, Mike.

Old 06-01-2002, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

nyroc.
I did the same exhaust mod as you only I took the muffler off. There is nothing more that I would remove from the next chamber. When I put a trouble light at the input end of the muffler I could see it in the next chamber. So what it appears to be is, the exhaust comes in and passes a star shaped restricter into the first chamber. From there it passes through the 1 1/4" tube as well as the 6 holes you drilled into the last chamber. Then out the tail pipe.
If you take much more out it will almost be hollow.
Hope this helps.
R.

Old 06-19-2002, 03:32 PM
Trailblazer

I just got done fixing my exhaust. I drilled three 1 inch holes in my muffler instead of the 6 holes. I also order my Moose jet kit and Kawaski repair manual. Now for my snorkel!