Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Tecate 4 Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-02-2002, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the input KXROM and his T4 looks awsome but seems slow by Banshee standards. He said the first time out was 5.6 sec. Well My T4 ran 5.97 on the 250 motor. And most trick Shee's in the drags run low 4.0's. But, if thats his first run I figure he will get it dialed in to sub five second runs;. I know the KX500 motor has the potential to run low 4's, hell a 250R with a CR500 top end does that with the right tuning. I just don't want to deal with nontested drag parts, I want it to screem. If anyone has any KX500 powered drag quads that run low 4's let me know. I am sorry if I come off crabby but while I am finishing my T4 I have been racing been racing my 400EX. I know its only bracketb racingb butb it suck getting blown by another Banshee. But, with my constant times I have done good. Thanks guys, I appreciate any input.

Old 06-03-2002, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't even know where to start with this one.
i'm currently shoehorning a 580 stroker kx500 motor in my t4.the motor will be entirely rubber mounted,and vibration will be cut to less then that of a stock tecate 250.if the 500 motor is something you're interested in, then there are lots of ways to build a 80+ horsepower kx 500.they can be stroked to 600+cc's.and just run them on race fuel and be over 80 horspower.then there is no worries about the alchol and all the headaches that go with it.
the main thing to do with a kx 500 first and foremost is to have the crank,rod and piston all balanced at the same time.this will cut vibration in the motor by more then 65%.then with rubber motor mounts and an antivibe steering stem .you can't go wrong.and mine is going to be an open class motocrosser so you know mine has to be right ,with no vibration to be able to race it.
if you're serious about the kx500 motor i could build you the motor mounts and tell you exactly how to do the swap properly and even go as far as building the motor for you.parts are a plenty for the kx 500.it's not a problem building a stupid fast kx500 motor.plus they are 100% more reliable then a banshee or a lt500.kx 500's are virtually bullet proof and take well to mods.depending on how far you want to go with the motor ,would definately set the cost.if you just want a hellified strong running 500 with out stroking or a big bore kit that would be your cheapest route.but if you wanna go full tilt boogie with a 640 stroker with all the gadgets then you're looking at some big bucks.
if you wanted to send me a kx500 motor and have me modify it and build i can do that.and then if you want it ready to bolt in with motor mounts and the mods that have to be done for everything to clear and work right and still look like it was the stock motor i can do that too.
i hope this information helps.
but i would go for the kx 500 motor.they are ready available and a ton better then a banshee.you have a tecate right,then kepp it totally kawasaki and be different then everyone and still be faster.

p.s. the kx 500 motor is the lightest one of the bunch.it's even lighter then the 250 tecate motor.believe it or not.

The following users liked this post:
thecount454 (11-29-2022)
Old 06-03-2002, 09:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's awesome, Killer! Do you mind if I take up your offer later in the future. I would love to have a KX500 in my T4, just for the power, not racing.

Old 06-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Trailblazer

Killerkx327, do you think I can get 100+ hp on alcohol. If so I am very interested. It will be this winter before I do anythging but thanks for the input. Also keep us posted on your KXF500 convert.

Old 06-03-2002, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

anyone seeking these services or other tecate work is more then welcome to contact me.
and yes i think you can get over 100 horsepower on alcohol,but i don't like alcohol ,so i never ecommend it to people.but what you want is what you get and whatever you decide to run your motor on is up to you.but i would keep it little mose simple and run race fuel and spray it with nitrous first.

Old 06-03-2002, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

Killerkx327- Does it cost alot to have the kx engines balanced? I have access to a complete kx 250 engine and I was debating on putting it in my mojave chassis this winter. I was going to put it on rubber mounts to help with the vibes. I won't be doing much racing so the vibes won't kill me. What did you use for rubber on yours?? Thanks for the help.

Old 06-04-2002, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

well if you send me just the crank and rod with the piston andrings that you're going to use then it would cost you approximately $225 to balnce.and there's a about 4-5 week turn round at this point.you're best bet is to do it when you're ready to rebuild the motor.and if you want to send me the whole motor for rebuild and split the cases and put in new crank bearings and seals and balance it the cost would go up but it would'nt be to bad considering that i am rebuilding the motor anyway so i can bealance the asembly while i have it out. and then i can use a new piston and rings and make sure it's right.what year kx250 motor would you be using?
the rubber i used was a solid chunk of poly urethane that i machined down to the size i wanted. you would have to see them to understand what i am talking about. i can't describe it very well with words on here.plus i don't wanna give away my secrets.with the kx250 motor you might be able to get away with just balncing the motor and mounting it solid.
on my setup i don't even have bottom motor mounts.just the front ones and the back swingarm bolt are all i have holding mine in.the front mount is so strong that it won't break .and the front mount is made real heavy duty and also works harmonically to counteract the vibration ,it's pretty sweet setup.with my front motor mount you would break the frame or the motor before the mounts will break gauranteed.

and speaking of mojaves i am currently putting in a 86 tecate 3 motor into a mojave chassis.they are also un counter balanced.and i'm just going to mount that motor solid cause i feel with as much room as there is the chassis that the harmonics of the frame will dampen the vibration anyway.
but i will never no cause the crank is totally balanced already and the motor is built and ready to go,so now we will have a mojave+tecate =MOCATE[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]