Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Tecate 4 Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am close to finishing my T4, the engine will be mildly modified. I was going to build the hell out of it because the main purpose of this machine will be sand drags and hill shoots. Anyway, next winter I plan to swap motors. Okay first oprion one is a KX500 motor, it has alot of power stock but vibrates bad. Option two is a Quadracer 500 motor, it's counterbalanced and has a good basline power, but the current development of new parts for that motor is slim. Also I figure since the Suzuki/Kawi merger the LT500 engine is technically a Kawasaki. Third option is to forget brand loyalty and put a highly modified Banshee engine in there. The main thing I like about this option is new parts are being developed all the time, anyway by the time I'm done the cases will be the only Yamaha part on the engine the rest is aftermarket. And I don't want to here anyone say just buy a Banshee. I have owned two of them but they all look the same, that is the main reason I like the T4 is because of it's unique and awsome looks. I'm looking at a 500+cc Bore and stroke, drag pipes, alochol burning, 12+ swing arm which turns out very low 4 second 300ft runs. I want this to run with any tricked out Banshee. I would like to use the KX500 engine but vibration and I don't think the parts for the cost can compete with a built shee engine. Any input welcome.

Old 05-31-2002, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

ever think about trying to shoehorn a big 4 strk street bike engine in it

Old 05-31-2002, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

It would be way to heavy!! Thats why kawasaki dident come out with teh NIJA 500 mojave!! they said the motor was way to heavy for the fram and it felt heavy to drive

Old 05-31-2002, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

theres a big weight difference between the 4 stroke twin cylinder (?) ninja 500 engine and the light 2 stroke 500KX. killerkx327 is putting a kx 500 engine in his tecate. i went and looked at it yesterday and it looks good. i wouldn't put the banshee motor in because it would just be too much work compared to the others. so i would do the quadzilla or the KX

Old 05-31-2002, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer

I would go with a modern KX 500 motor. Allan Knowles of CT racing had one of these running on alchahol some time back. I bet if you sweet talked him you could get him to make you a pipe and at the same time get his experience and advice.

Old 05-31-2002, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

I was talking about mojaveaddict whaen he said put a BIG 4 strock in the project!! It would be way to heavy!!the KX500 would be a very light motor~!

Old 05-31-2002, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

Exaclty how much would the vibration bother you? If the machine will be used for hill shoots and drags, and not much else, then why worry about a little vibration? The way you want to built it, it is not like you will be out for all day trail rides or anything. I would go KX. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-31-2002, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer

I guess the vibration is not that big of an issue but I will have to do some frame strenghtening. The Banshee engine from measurements I have taken should be to hard to fit in. And the exhaust is not much of an issue because I will use drag pipes and they just come out the side. My biggest concern is I want a very competitive machine. And I don't see that much support for the Zilla and KX500 Motors. Look at the Banshee and even the 250R, you can buy everything for them aftermarket that is way better. They even hhad someone mating CR500 Jugs to 250R lowers and 700cc Jet Ski Jugs on Banshees. If anyone knows any good KX500 aftermarket tuners let me know. Someone who really knows how to make them kick *** in drag racing. I know there are plenty of people who tune it for MX, but that is a who different setup, port mapping, pipes etc.

Old 06-01-2002, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I started to research this same subject as well. I own both bikes (T4 & KX500). So far, what I have found was the KX500 motor will vibrate way too much even if the T4 is used for drags. It can be done, but you will have to reinforce the frame to handle the vibrations (I have no idea how to do it). I would definatley recommend the KX500 motor because of parts availability, power, weight, and it's Kawi. My KX500 is all stock except for FMF pipe and I have smoked Banshees (some were modified). I know the bike weighs less, but I don't hit these Banshee guys up to race, they hit me up. I also beat Banshees on my T4 (stock except for FMF pipe/silencer), but never did any hill drag races, just dry lake bed. I know there are mechs that modify KX500's so I'll do some research and get thier names to you, cool? Good luck with your project T4. If the KX500 works for you, hell, I'll do it, too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2002, 10:42 AM
Trailblazer

KXROM, I know some companies do mods to KX500's, from what I have found is the mods are not for drag race only. I need a true drag race only machine if I want to run with the big boys. My currently (before I started the restoration) T4 runs with a stock or piped Banshee. I'm not aiming for them, I want to take on the fastest Banshees on something that don't look like a Banshee.

Quick Reply: Tecate 4 Engine Swap