Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 Prairie front diff lock not locking,any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 12:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother and I were both out muddin yesterday in creek bottom. We notice numerous times on both 650's the front diff was not locked. When coming out of the holes and trying to climb the banks one front wheel would be planted hard in the mud and the other free wheeling. Pulled the diff lock all the way and left the tire in the mud not spinning, only the one in the air would spin. Is there a need to adjust the cable on these, or is just time for new internal clutchs? I had noticed this on mine the day before so I changed my front diff oil before going out today and trying it. Any help from you people with service manuals would be appreciated.

thanks,kawlaris

Old 06-09-2002, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

the diff lock on my 360 is fully locked at 7 pounds of pressure on the lever. it might need adjusting. i hope its nothing serious, i just changed my diff fluids.

Old 06-09-2002, 12:55 PM
Range Rover

Had you changed your front diff oil prior to this? If so what did you change it with? I'm wondering if some oils, especially synthetics may not be compatible with the clutch packs in these diffs.

Old 06-09-2002, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

If the cable has never been adjusted, that might be all it is.Try that and let us know.

Old 06-09-2002, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

Mine did the same thing. I adjusted the cable and that was all it took. It works great now. Remember that the front diffy lock is operated by a cable, just like your throttle and rear brakes. These cables are gonna stretch after a while and need to be adjusted. Take the shroud around your handlebars off and the linkage for your diffy lock is right there. I think I got mine a little tight, but that's okay with me. Better too tight than too loose![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2002, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider

Just FYI, I have been using mobil v-twin in the front diff for many miles. The diff lock works just like new, very lockable. I am not sure if the mobil synthetic is making my diff last longer, but I am sure that it is not having any adverse affects on the clutch packs.

Had to use it this last weekend, otherwise mudzilla attacks with 3 sets of claws, not 4.

Old 06-10-2002, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

I noticed that the lever on the side of the frt. diff. looks a little vulnerable to mud/sticks etc. you may want to make sure nothings jammed in it to limit travel. Does the lever feel weird?
Has anyone tried the G.M. "Slip juice" in their frt. diff.? It worked well in my Foreman diff. Was going to talk to my favorite dealer, and see what they say.

Trending Topics

Old 06-10-2002, 09:50 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for all the responses. I have not had a chance to adjust the cable. I will do it tonight when I get off work. To add some input for the questions asked. The cable is working freely and I can see it moving at the differential. I used the same oil in the diff that I use in the motor, Kawasaki 20W50. I did change the diff oil and put in the same oil as the rear differential this did not make any changes. I have not adjusted the cable in the past. I will update when I get it adjusted and tested.

Thanks
Kawlaris

Old 06-10-2002, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

UHHHH.... If you have the same oil in both diffs.; ONE diff has the WRONG oil in it!
The manual calls for the specl. oil(Kaw-Chem) in the rear diff., because of the "wet-brake". The frt. uses engine oil. Various weights can be used. The manual specifies this too.

Old 06-10-2002, 10:17 AM
Range Rover

I put the KawiChem in the front diff just to see if it would help the slipping. I know it is suppose to have the engine oil but it wasn't working with that oil so I thought I would try the diff oil. It did not make any difference so I have already put 20W40 oil back in the front diff.
thanks
kawlaris

Quick Reply: 650 Prairie front diff lock not locking,any ideas?