Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

MUD-CLOGGED radiators on P-650's

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last w.e. we had problems with the 2 P-650's in the group. Mine ran hot, but didn't overheat. Buckeye400EX's DID overheat.
We found that the REAR surface of the radiator was packed with mud. We had to use much of our bottled water to UNCLOG his radiator. I THINK that I see where the mud is getting in, but am not positive. There are 2 points of entry, I believe. I am going to try a couple things,and will report later. I am also making "cleaning ports" in the LH inner fender(frt.) to use a garden hose sprayer thru. I'll take pix and measurements, and give'em to nyroc to put in his online P-650 "shop-manual"!
I THINK that one point of entry is when the wheels are full-lock LEFT, the mud is sprayed directly over top the frt. diff., and in to the back of the radiator. ONLY a theory, at this point. It will be hard to fashion a mud-flap, or deflector as the area is FULL of moving frt. suspension parts AND blistering hot frt. exh. pipe!
SO, that is the state of my battle with the "mud-gremlins". Any suggestions are welcome.............nyroc what do you think?

Old 06-27-2002, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

Mike, I agree that the mud on the back of the radiator is coming in behind the radiator flaps. However, I must admit, and this is somewhat embarrasing being the proud maintenance guy of my machines, I do not recall EVER cleaning the back of the radiator. I have sprayed water in thru the front, but I have never removed the covers (as we did in the blazing heat Sunday) and sprayed water up in there on the backside of the radiator. I think the access holes are a good idea, now I just need to find a super soaker water gun small enough to fit on the back rack. HA!

Old 06-27-2002, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

I think it would be a good idea to figure out how to reduce the mud flippage caused by tires.

Mine was clogged in the back once also. I hate to accuse you of this, Buck, but when that happened to me, it was cus I did not clean it well the time before(two quads, same ride, one is clogged? gotta be dirty to start with). I sprayed in until the front of the rad was clean, and did not really spray enough to get it good. I clean more effectively now.

The mud I get on my radiator is usually there from going in the muddy water, then getting dry from heat.

I have been thinkin about gutting a powerful electric squirt gun and using that to give the radiator a really good squirting on the trail, get that mud off the radiator before it gets too thick. Maybe even a fuel pump? Windshield washer?

Old 06-27-2002, 07:26 PM
Range Rover

I had the same problem this past weekend so I have on order a small powerwasher from Highlifter it plugs into power port and you just put it in water hole ,stream or what ever.

Old 06-27-2002, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Wow! Thanks for postin that, BlueRhino

I am going to get one of those and not fiddle with anything I was going to make myself.

http://www.highlifter.com/store/ATV-...or-Washer.html

Old 06-27-2002, 07:32 PM
Range Rover

Nyroc- That was my thought exactly for the money I forgot now but around 44.00 I wasn't got to mess around making one.

Old 06-27-2002, 09:42 PM
Range Rover

you CAN make one for less than 30 bux, but make SURE you get a RULE pump, like the one used in the kit. anything less will just not cut the mustard...i have tried.

Old 06-28-2002, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider

I had seen those pumps advertised in H.Lifter, but never saw one in action. I would like to hear about it, if someone buys one.

Old 06-28-2002, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

nyroc, I admit, I had not done a good job of cleaning the rear of the radiator in the past and I think is exactly the reason it was getting clogged and hot. Shame on me! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I have learned though without damaging anything. With that in mind, I kind of doubt that a radiator would become clogged on ONE ride. Meaning, I doubt that even mudd-dobbin' it all day would clog the radiator. Seems like you'd be back at camp or home in time to clean your radiator thoroughly. Mine is definitely running cooler, just around the yard now, fan hasn't kicked on once. Maybe it's because my new C-series wheels and Spidertracs, Sur-Traks make it that much cooler. Yeah that's it.... HA!

Old 06-28-2002, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

Buckeye--- THAT must be it! The cooler looking the bike; the cooler the engine runs.
It occurs to me that last w.e., you rode the 400EX much more than the P-650. Your radiator was pre-clogged for that ride. Mine was only 1/3 pre-clogged, as I had cleaned the FRONT of it, and didn't even think about the back! I do now!
I ended up putting in 1 3/8" blank grommets in the LH inner fender/splash guard. They are easy to place, as there is a bulge moulded in that outlines the radiator's side tank. I placed mine low, about 2" above the bottom of the radiator, and 2" fore and aft of same. Still need to work on a splash deflector/flap for the LF tire.

Quick Reply: MUD-CLOGGED radiators on P-650's