Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P650 What a Great Machine

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 12:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from a week of riding at Black River Falls, WI. Rode seven days on the Jackson Co. and Clark Co. trail systems and put 609 miles on the P650. Did not have any problems at all with the P650. Now have about 848 miles on the atv with no problems. Machine was great to ride on the sandy trails and a real blast on the back fire roads. My brother-in-law started calling me rocketman because of the P650 great acceleration. Was only able to get the P650 up to 58 mph on the sandy back roads. Felt like it could do more except for the sand and my front and rear storage boxes. We had alot of fun and started talking about a Fall Trip. Now I just need to get the P650 clean from all the black river sand.

Old 07-03-2002, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

Glad you like it. The 650 is awesome.

I'm sure you will be talking to us more, even if it never breaks.

You probably know, but just FYI,
-we all replace those stock tires with something that better fits our needs. Honda owners buy them off youo for a pretty reasonable price on ebay.
-You should consider checking the toe in and have it set to 0, since it will handle even better than it does now at high speed on gravel, sand, n soft stuff.
-only use the mobil 424 oil in the rear diff (the kawi oil for the 650 rear diff is right). There are equivalents for this too, but I don't know them.
-Only use the recommended oil type and viscosity in the front diff too (basically the same thing you put in the engine). Bad things have happened to people who put the wrong stuff in the front diff, overly stiff steering, and/or damaged diff lock. 10w40 seems to work well, or 20w50 synthetic.
-I know you have a warranty, but in case you ever don't, the belt takes 10 minutes to replace, since it is easier to do than the repair manual says.

Have a blast.

Old 07-03-2002, 01:44 PM
Banned

Hi NyRoc,

This is very valuable information for me and others on this forum. I will follow these guidelines when I purchase my machine in October.

Thanks again for the information.

IronBear

Old 07-03-2002, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

I should type some of the general stuff I know together and keep it ready to pass along. I think some people think I know it all, but I don't. I just learn some stuff from other people and repeat it, often not giving credit to the people that told me in the first place.

More info, there are a lot of oil filters that work on the 650, the biggest selection of which I have saved here.

Mobil MX4T is good to use in the 650 (I use V-Twin in the front diff). Some like Amsoil better.

-The KEBC makes all of the electric whining sounds you hear. It is normal.
-There is a little gear slop that makes a clicking sound when you ride, easier to hear when going slow in low range. Normal.
-A loud ratcheting souond whuile slowing down in low range is the gears slipping due to the need for a shift rod adjustment. Easy fix.
-Sometimes when you park the 650 with a low tank, the carbs siphon fuel into the engine and it locks the engine next time you try to start it (take the plugs out, crank it). Keep the fuel switch turned off to prevent this.
-Drive in low range as often as you can to reduce belt and sheave wear.
-The 650 seems to be able to take 28" tires without a lift, sometimes minor scraping in front.

Sorry for all the advice, I hope it doesn't ruin your fun in the least bit.

Old 07-03-2002, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

nyroc, you've got to be kidding, right? All of the advice that you give us new owners of the p650 only make it more fun. It's fella's like you that are great to learn from. I can find out almost anything that I need to know about my p650 from just logging in and looking up the posts. Keep it up and thanks a bushel.

PS. I do have a question for you that really wasn't answered alot the last time that I posted. Have you heard of anyone havin' trouble with shifting from 2 WD to 4 WD on the fly? My owners manual said don't but my dealer said sure. Could you help clear this up for me?

Old 07-03-2002, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

nyroc...Keep telling all of the great information...knowing someone that knows a lot about the 650 is a great thing!!! You have never led me stray!!! Keep the information coming...Please!

Old 07-03-2002, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

Congrats on the P-650, I've had mine 8 months and no problems. You can shift between 2 and 4wd on the fly, if you're going to fast it won't shift, I think mine will let you shift if you're at or below 12mph. Have fun.

Old 07-04-2002, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Hi guy's
The Kawi 650 is the BEST 4x4 machine on the market bar none!!
It's built like a tank but very light, It's verrry fast but yet easy to control, It's a very sporty ride yet you can ride all day in comfort, It's the best hill climber made today, It's a great workhorse as well. It does everything any other quad does and in most cases it does them better... and in some cases this machine RULES!!! Everyone who has rode mine just couldn't believe how awsome this quad is...and who am i to disagree! When i purchase something i research the hell out of it and then decide. Well when it came down to buying... there was only one...The BIG BADDASS KAWI650!!!
When you package together the best engine in a quad today, best braking system ever put on a quad period, the best locking diff. ever put on a quad period ( IT's ON THE FLY,EASY TO STEER,EFFORTLESS,RELIABLE,...AND GUESS WHAT? YOUR REAR WHEELS DON'T HAVE TO SPIN LIKE OTHERS TO ENGAGE! ) I also forgot to mention It's the smoothest running quad made ( sit on and see for yourself) look Ma NO VIBRATIONS!!!
This quad is to the Utility market what the Banshee and 250R are to the Sport Quad market...The P650 will be a legendary 4x4...If I sound a LITTLE biased...well you better believe I am...I HAVE REASON TO BE...I RIDE THE BEST!!!!

ROB

Old 07-04-2002, 01:22 AM
Range Rover

This is all good info, I'll put my two cents in to. I know this has already been stated buy I'll tell my story. After about 200 miles my 650 would not idle and was running rough. The only way I could get it to start no matter the condition of the quad, no matter even if I had been riding all day was to hold the throttle completely open and try for about 20 seconds. And sometimes when I tried to start it, it would sound like the starter was binding up tight. It kept getting worse, couldn't even get it to run. Then I posted question about it on here and someone said they had the same problem and all I had to do was to shut the fuel off after I was done riding. I thought it was a stupid suggestion but I tried it and it has worked perfect now for about 6 months. I've had 5 quads and never shut the fuel off before. I had the 650 scheduled at my dealer and they said it sounded like somthing was gummed up and it would be around 150 dollars to fix it. Boy was I glad for this suggestion. It idles and starts and runs great now. Hope you all have good luck with yours too!

Old 07-04-2002, 02:36 PM
Range Rover

Uncle: I see that you are out of Knoxville. Why did you choose to go all the way to Wi for a ride vacation? Have you ever been to Coal creek area?
I always like to read about guys that love their 650's.I'm really thinking seriously about getting one. I worry about that it will feel like a tank compared to my Lokata. What do you think?

Quick Reply: P650 What a Great Machine