Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lakota Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How tight are the nuts supposed to be that hold on the clutch springs? I put the clutch back together but now all I get is a whine and don't really move much. I can tell that the clutch is slipping. I have tried to adjust the clutch using the nut and screw and the only thing it does is make the shifter pedal harder to shift. Please help.

Old 07-29-2002, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer

you can adjust the autolucth on the outside of the quad. just talk off the round platic plates and there will be a nut there. turn it right to tighten and left to loosen

Old 07-29-2002, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tried that.

Old 07-29-2002, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

When you put it back together you had the clutch basket nut, put that on very tight, never found the tourque but very tite. The clutch springs bolts are about 10 pounds tourque. But you realy want to put lock tite on them. If it was the first time they were off they may have enough left on them.

To adjust the clutch: Loosen the lock nut just a touch. Hold the lock nut in place with a wrench. With a screw driver turn the slotted bolt all the way in untill it stops, then turn it out untill you feel the slightest resistence. Thats good there.

Did you pay particular attention to the little shift mechanisim on the left when you had the side case off. Did you understand how those ball bearings worked and how it had to be when you put the case half back on. Did you see the spring in the case half, sometimes it comes off it's back seat when you go back together with it.

Old 07-29-2002, 11:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I now have found that the clutch plates are loose inside the basket. I can move them very easily with the springs in and the bolts tightened all the way down. I didn't notice the ball bearing shifter thingy but it looked like it was okay when I put it back together. The spring in the case cover I made sure was on right before I put it back together. I just don't know why the clutch plates are loose inside the basket.

Old 07-29-2002, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Well, if the springs are in and you can move the plates pretty easy, sounds like a waisted clutch.

Did you see if the metal plates showed black coloration to them. Did you notice the grooves in the friction disc, did the grooves look like clean slots or look like plenty of ware.

Sounds like a clutch that is toast, but what did the metal plates look like.

Old 07-30-2002, 12:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

everything on the secondary clutch (one with friction plates) looked okay and the centrifugal clutch was wearing but not really bad, no black. I noticed little notches on the clutch plates, do those have to be lined up with eachother? The quad ran 400% better before I tried to fix it than now. I don't think the clutch got messed up with it apart.

Old 07-30-2002, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

How ever I sit here and think about it, you have to take the side cover back off. If the clutch is worn and you have a major concern, I believe you would have smelled it and you would have seen blackish/blue discoloring of the plates. This is not to say it is good, but it's just not as bad as you think.

When you pull the side cover off, look to the lower left. There you will see a shaft with a 3 piece odd looking mechanism. It has a flat star type piece, then 3 ball bearings then another flat piece on the outside of that. This is where the piece inside the cover with the spring behind it rest at.

At this mechanism you have a metal dowl type piece. You will see all 3 pieces have slots that fit over this dowl to keep them all 3 inline. The outside piece generally pulls away and points down when you pull the side cover, this is your problem. Turn it up so the slot fits over the dowl, then assemble and adjust the clutch again.

Take the time and get this corrected and then move the shifter. This will show you how this works and let you understand why it doesn't work now.

Your problem is probably the centrfugal clutch. Remove the nut on it, then the hole carrier and drum just slides off. If you look at the drum that the clutch bites against you will probably find that it is glazed up and slips. Take a dremmul with 60 grit barrel sanding bit and grind the glaze off, huge difference.

Old 07-30-2002, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

There shouldn't be any space between the clutch plates when it is installed, no matter how worn it is. The springs should be able to take up the slack. If there is play between the fiber and steel plates, something is not put back together correctly. Take it all apart again and make sure you have everything lined up correctly.

Old 07-31-2002, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I figured out what the problem was. I had 3 clutch plates in wrong and the two pieces of the clutch basket that have the teeth needed to be together right. Now the clutch doesn't slip at all. I just roughed up the centrifugal clutch drum with a dremel and it works great now. Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Lakota Clutch problem