Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 Engine brake disable switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any one know how one could rig up a switch for the engine brake so I could turn it off and on?

Old 08-27-2002, 12:30 AM
Range Rover

I think I read that the KBEC is on a fuse.... I'd assume if you pull the fuse, the engine brake is gone.

Correct me if I am wrong!

Old 08-27-2002, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

Kawi650...I do not think it is that easy. I am looking at my service manual and I am not sure it will just let go if you pull a fuse.

Old 08-27-2002, 12:40 AM
Range Rover

I didn't think so either........ it was a quick guess

The manual is in the garage (and I don't want to get it right now), so it's up to you now encore!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2002, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

i'm still looking, I am more interested in disabling the reverse limiter...

Old 08-27-2002, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Kawi650...Back to the KEBC, it only operates from 1.8mph to 12.2mph, if you disable it, from what I read, the engine being in gear will slow you down just like before until your speed is lowered.

Old 08-27-2002, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

I've pulled the fuse out for the KEBC before and couldn't tell any difference on slowing except under 5 mph then it would just coast, but bad news, when you pull that fuse it will not go into 4wd.

Old 08-27-2002, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider

I've thought about doing this myself, but I just use 2wd high range and brakes for very steep decents so the EBC won't kick-in and send me over. When I say "steep" I don't just mean going down a slope, I mean steep enough that it will roll over if you scoot up toward the handlebars and not all the way back on the seat. It is possible, but not as easy as breaking a connection with a switch. That noise you hear after turning the key off is the EBC programming a new voltage read back form the servo assembly. When the controller actuates the brake, the servo will move until it reaches this "learned" voltage. (All this is in the front of the service manual). To prevent it from going into an error mode, I think you would have to use a SPDT switch wired to connect the controller "read" wire to the servo output wire for "Brake ON" and to a specific voltage value for "Brake OFF". I don't remember the possible output voltages for the servo, but that is what you would have to use. You will need to make it think it has reached the proper position. I don't think you could just wire in 12VDC, but two resistors will give you any voltage you would need. Just pick values that are high enough not to draw to much current and overheat.

Old 08-27-2002, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

After looking at the manual, the KEBC also controls the 4x4 (like trailhog said). Pulling the fuses may not be a good idea.

One easy operation would be to put a switch to cut the power to the KEBC Motor. Prairie 633, you think this might work? The hot wire to the motor is the RED one. The catch to this is to flip the switch when the engine is off , or when stopped or when moving faster than 12mph so that you don't end up with the KEBC lever pushed out. It retracts when stopped, and I think over 12mph.

Maybe the KEBC would be thoroughly confused by the time you turned the switch back on.

Some really good electrical engineer could make a circuit to fool this thing into thinking it was too fast to operate all the time. But that's not my forte.

Old 08-27-2002, 10:23 AM
Trailblazer

I tried pulling the fuse for the KEBC, but it wouldn't go into 4x4, which was already said...

My solution...

Put the Yellow EPI Drive Clutch spring in. The spring is so tight, that the KEBC can't engage and compress the clutch to slow it down. I have zero engine braking.

Although I am worried about the motor burning out from trying to press on the clutch and not being able to. I just had the motor replaced, under warrenty, so I guess if it goes again, they should give me a new one.

Quick Reply: 650 Engine brake disable switch