Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Superwinch install ? Prairie 650

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 11:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hola mi amigos, kay pas taco bell?

1st an intall ?, then a recomendation, then a short rant.

Anyway I'm mounting a superwinch on my '03 p650 using the kawasaki multi mount. Unfortunately it does not appear to have any way of mounting my fairlead to it. What have you guys done to get the fairlead attached?

I've not used either the superwinch or a warn, however kawasaki mistakenly sent me a warn mount on my 1st order. As far as ease of installation, it looks like the warn is the way to go. Especially as it's set up for a fairlead. If you do go with a superwinch and use the kawasaki plate, ignore the instructions and mount the winch to the plate before you mount the plate to the ATV instead of the other way around. It's not impossible to do it the directions way but you'll scrape some knuckles.

Lastly, kawasaki obviously intended for a winch to be mounted low in the frame with the line exiting through the 3 slot lower grill, and a fairlead attached to the outer bolt holes, which perfectly match with the mounting holes in my fairlead. This would let the winch look like a factory install, eliminate possible weak links, and decrease cost to install a winch. Why in god's green earth do the mounting holes they provide for a winch not fit any winch known to man? Would it have doubled the cost for labor to have 2 sets of mounting holes that would fit 95% of all ATV winches on the market?

I feel better.

thanks.

Old 09-10-2002, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

That was a very good gripe AJ650. I had not though of that during my latest kawasaki gripe. Kawasaki should listen to you. I realize kawi made mistakes, but I feel that they also deserve out thanks for the many things they did do for us.

The rear brakes are cool, the front ones last twice as long as a 660 brakes do.
Easy maintenance (get real, this thing is a lot easier to fix than most).
Manual diff lock (I like to be in control).
Easy access air filter.
Easy oil filter.
There is probably a bunch more.

A lot of stuff is easy and nice on the 650. However

-I hate the stock tires. I fixed that.
-I hate the stock CDI. 1Bearman is fixing that.
-I don't appreciate the belt (but I am too tire to say much about the belt). I feel that I have the belt under control now.

AJ650, without seeing what you are up against with the superwinch, I can't say for sure.
But, on the warn system, the cable does NOT go through the slots, or it would rub on them. If you have ever seen one installed that way, it was doen very wrong. It goes above the slots. This picture was taken for your benefit.

Drill holes if you have to. Get a warn fairlead and make it work if you have to. My bro has a superwinch. If I was to use his winch, I would have used the warn plate and made holes in it and somehow mounted the warn fairlead.

Good luck.

Old 09-10-2002, 01:24 AM
Range Rover

I'll try and get a pic on tomorow of what I'm talking about. I've got the winch and plate in, but haven't wired it yet. There really is no way I can see of attaching the fairlead. I though about using the warn plate when I had it, but the location of the mounting holes on the superwinch are front to back rather than side to side.

I know the line would rub on the slots, but looking at it just SCREAMS that the kawi designers had that in mind. 10 seconds with a plasma cutter would give 1 nice wide slot for the line to run through. Maybe I should buy a piece of steel plate, make my own mount and cut the slots. Sounds good right now.

Old 09-10-2002, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a plan. I guess I can't really see it. Take a photo of it and email it to me so other people can figure out what to do.

Old 09-10-2002, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

AJ650, I put a superwinch on my P-650. I used the Warn mouting plate and fairlead, I drilled new holes on the Warn mounting plate so the S-winch would fit, the cable doesn't go thru the slot, I had to pull the cable all the way out on the winch drum and wind it up backwards for it to fit like a Warn and drill two new holes in the winch base also, but it fits good after that. I'm planning on taking that one off and mounting it on the rear and putting a Warn or a Ramsey up front this winter. Good luck.

Looking at those slots I think they were never made for the cable to go thru. If you did get the factory holes on the frame to line up with a winch base the winch motor looks like it would hit the down tubes on the frame, after you get a winch on you will see that Kawasaki pre-cut the splash guards for the winch motor to stick thru, so I feel like it was made for an after market mounting plate.

Old 09-10-2002, 11:53 PM
Range Rover

Ok, here's some pics of the winch and plate installed.
winch1
winch2
This one's just 'cuz I like to gloat [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
ducati

Old 09-11-2002, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Do you mind if I save the superwinch photo to show people how to do it?
What did you use for a bracket?

Old 09-11-2002, 01:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey AJ650. Believe it or not, I've had the same problem going on about a year now. At first that mount was only offered in Canada from what i had seen. Only our neighbors to the north had them. Then they had them here. You're right there is no way to mount the roller fairlead, which by the way is porbably the universal one used by Warn and Superwinch, I assume. I also tried to mount the SW winch to the Warn mount, but the holes(fron to back) did not fit on the plate (could not even drill holes). Unless there is another type of Warn mount that I don't know about? Anyway, I've tried often asking people on this forum for help, especially the ones from Canada, 'cause it seems that some of their pictures show rollerfairleads mounted with that specific mount and the Superwinch. However, no luck so far on any info. I'm leaning toward manufacturing one myself, as are you. I know there are other mounts out there that have everything to mount the fairlead, but they cost $100 dollars or more, and I've already spend the money on this mount. Have you gotten any info on the Cabela's mount? I wonder if you can mount the fairlead on that one? Anyway, if you get any info please let me know. Thanks.

Old 09-11-2002, 12:46 PM
Range Rover

Nyroc, you can have the pics. I used the buykawasaki.com superwinch plate. As you can guess I'm not too pleased with it. I might end up fabbing my own plate and returning this one.

TX650, I called cabelas about their mount. The salesmen know exactly squat if it isn't printed on the package, but he said it looks like it mounts outside the bumper. It does look like it will take a fairlead tho'. I've heard people say to use the warn plate, but the one I got doesn't even have metal where the superwinch has mounting holes, so no go there.

I'll let you know what I decide to do.

Old 09-11-2002, 03:35 PM
Range Rover

AJ650
You need a Superwinch roller fairlead! My brother has one on his 650 with custom mounting plate. Also as talked about on this thread we did remove the 3 slots on the front bumper which is where the cable exits. The Superwinch fairlead has a single mounting bolt that is 90 degrees to the fairlead. So the single hole in the fairlead will bolt to the front bolt which secures the winch. You can somewhat see it on there web site under accessories.

http://www.superwinch.com/products/a...ies/index.html

Quick Reply: Superwinch install ? Prairie 650