Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

BIRDMAN

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]hi anyone and everyone,
I have enjoyed reading everyones articles for the past 6 months.
This is only the 2nd time i have logged in.I have had my clutch problems
with my praire also.I now have about 800miles on it. I 1st went through
all of the belt squealing on take off after about 400 miles.Finally
took it back to my dealer with about 700 miles on it. I also took copies of some of the other praire
clutch complaints and remedies from this sight to my dealer.They took
out a schim and put a new belt on, thankfully free of charge.The squealing
was gone, but not as much throtle response, but ran good.Now with the 800 miles on it, my belt safety switch shut me down on labor day weekend.
Just talked with the dealer and i have worn schims and need a new belt.
I do some hill climbing and very little mud running.Only 150-200 miles
on the last belt, and now some clutch wear. I am planning to go back to
a honda rancher (have one now in family) or a foreman. Use to have a honda
300 4x4 for 9 years. I rode that 10x harder than this praire.I changed oil 3-4x a year and added gas. I want a low maintenance machine. ANY VEIWS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS BIRDMAN (FORGIVE ANY SPELLING)

Old 09-13-2002, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

Too bad about your misfortune about your belt. As soon as I hit the bush I go into low range 4x4 only because it is easier on the bike and the low range is not much different than high range. I have around 200 hours and haven't touched my belt yet although I have large tires and have been trying different modds to my motor. I run as hard as anyone else and on tight trails you can't go that fast anyway so low range works well. I have also found you can speed shift into high range without hurting your tranny I have done it many times. I do this when comming out onto a fire road or cut line and the fellows with Polarises have to stop to do this I shift and go, leave them behind as usual. I too have a Honda and if not for the harsh ride and the three wheel drive I would probably ride it more. It is very dependable it just shakes my bones too much. Good luck with your endevores if I can help any further I would be glad to.

Gary

Old 09-14-2002, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

I find my stuff to be a lot more reliable when I do the work myself. For some reason, the shop fixed ones are the ones with the most problems. That is not to say all shops are bad, but I don't know if they leave parts out, or if they have special corrosive paste that they apply to wear stuff. It just boggles my mind. All of the unhappy people have been suckered by a dealer.

The 650 cvt just isn't that problematic. I beat mine (in low range) and I feel that my 650 is extremely durable.

Hey do you guys know that a guy sued McDonald's for making him obese? I wonder if you could somehow sue honda for the bone jarring and eventual arthritis you get from riding their bone shakers?

Old 09-14-2002, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Hey thanks, alltoys and nyroc
The cushy ride was one of the main reasons I went for the praire.The power
was just an added benifit.Since the 1st repair I have used low much more.Your probably right about the quality of shop
repairs.I have thought about doing the work after this. I am pretty handy
in my shop. I run my own feed & seed business and do all of those repairs
myself. I just didn`t wanted to be repairing my toys. Play time is limited.Thanks again and one more question. What is the reason for the
black spring? Has it helped?
thanks, kurt

02 praire 650
00 rancheres
93 lt 160
87 lt 80
and 2 dirt bikes

Old 09-14-2002, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

Birdman, sorry to hear about all the grief your 650 is giving you. The guys have given some sound advice, do the work yourself. Once you have done some of the maintenance on your 650, the next time it will be a breeze. This machine is pretty tough so with a little TLC, it's as good a machine as the rest of them------EXCEPT WWAAAAYYYYYYY FASTER!!!!!!!!!! The black spring is a spring that is sold by Erlandson Performance and is used in the driven clutch. It grips the belt tighter and delivers more responsive backshifts, which helps reduce belt wear. I put mine in at around 450km and I now have 1100km on my 650 and I am on the original belt. The last time I checked, my deflection was around 1 inch, so it is holding up pretty well.

Old 09-14-2002, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

Birdman-- What a shame about your bad luck. I believe that you will find the majority here have had a great experience with their P-650's. Maybe you should try finding a more competant tech to perform the needed maintenance and adjustments. A belt should last longer than 2oo miles! Even one that is WAY OUT of adjustment.
Mine has been near flawless. I am well satisfied with this bike, EXCEPT for the cheesy/junk black plastic body parts!
Good luck in your decision..................

Old 09-15-2002, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Hey thanks Masterblaster and TRX450,
I will have to learn more about the clutch set up.Because the power will be hard to give up.
Birdman
02 praire
00 rancher es
93 lt 160
87 lt 80
2 dirt bikes

Old 09-15-2002, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

Birdman, the best investment you can make is in a repair manual $35 or so.
Very few dealers have properly educated techs. Spend some time at night studying this thing, invest in a few metric tools if you haven't yet, and you'll become the only tech you care to trust. These things aren't that hard to work on. Just read the book and use a little common sense.

TRX450 is right. I think the worst part of the whole bike is the junk black plastic.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-15-2002, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

Birdman, Dangerous has the answer. Definitely get yourself a service manual. They are invaluable if you are gonna be doing your own wrenching. I knew absolutely squat about CVT clutches before I bought my 650, but with the purchase of a service manual, and the great advice I get off this forum, I can rip mine apart in record time. The service manual has step by step instructions and is very well illustrated, so it makes it a no-brainer to do just about anything on your wheeler.

Old 09-15-2002, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Thanks dangerous,
Just got home from riding the trails.I put over 80 miles on the Rancher and
it ran great. The whole ride I was trying to decide what to do with my praire. I will probably by a manual and study up. It doesn`t make sense
to trade this soon anyway. thanks guys,
BIRDMAN

02 PRAIRE
00 RANCHER ES
93 LT160
87 LT 80
01 CR 125 BIKE
94 WR250 BIKE