Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Question about Kawasaki Dealers..........................

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have called all the Kaw dealers in central Ohio, looking for a lousy 1MM driven converter (belt) adjusting shim. I finally ordered ALL of them. None of these dealers stock the shim. Why not? Certainly they are adjusting belts. I guess the poor sap with a P-650 has to let his bike sit at the dealer,while they get the part in! You would think that the service depts would stock them all---there's only 3! Well, I WILL have them in stock for the next go-'round! Just ONE MORE thing that PI$$ES about these dealers-they don't stock FAST MOVING parts anymore!!!!

Old 09-19-2002, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

How much did you pay for the set?

Old 09-19-2002, 09:16 PM
The Facility

I think I am speaking for all Kawasaki dealers when I say that there is no way to keep every part for every Kawasaki model.

Hell, even Kawasaki's 3 major warehouses in the U.S. doesn't carry all of them and usually result in back ordered parts from Japan for weeks and sometimes months.

I understand that you feel that it needs to be a item kept in stock, but so does every owner of every other Kawasaki model and every part on his machine. You can't make everyone happy and is impossible financially to try.

The shims you asking about aren't even on Kawasaki's Top 500 list, which is about all that Kawasaki dealers keep anyway unless they have parts on the shelves that were special ordered fopr someone and never picked up.

Shimming isn't even neccasary unless you have a problem somewhere else. We haven't had to shim any so far. [knock on wood]

Old 09-19-2002, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem as trx450. I was doing a topend on my 96 Mojave and all they had in stock was an oil filter, not even a spark plug. I would have thought they would have the parts for it. It was unchanged from 87-03 and the old ones should be needing the top ends at there age.

Old 09-19-2002, 10:16 PM
The Facility

Not even a sparkplug?!?!

Now that IS bad, considering that same plug fits all of the Bayous and Prairies as well.

Old 09-19-2002, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

My prairie came with the shims installed , I had to take them out to adjust my belt tighter. Never seen anyone need more shims.

Old 09-20-2002, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

TRX450, I have one for you. When I had about 300 miles on my 650, it started to squeal on take-off. I checked the belt which was ok, but it needed re-shimmed. I figured since it was under waranty I would take it to the shop and let them do it. It sat there for two weeks waiting for the shims, this was back in july of 2002, and they said they would not even look at it until they have the parts. Finally the shims arrive, the mechanic takes off the drive sheave, removes one of my stock shims, and he was done. I asked them to check it out to see what shims I already had but they wanted to wait, so they kept it two weeks for nothing! I do everything myself now. By the way, where do you ride in Central Ohio? I lived near 161 and 270 (Westerville) for 10 years and never thought about ATV's until I moved near the mountains.

Old 09-20-2002, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

KNOWSALOT--- If you owned a P-650, maybe you would KNOW that these shims I speak of are a very much needed item. I cannot imagine that the factory wouldn't send these along with the new model special tools kit. Do you work on these bikes? If so, you should know that the factory sets up these belts TOO loose, in order to keep the weird noises to a minimum. You should also know that these shims are VERY NECESSARY to account for belt wear. Your customers don't complain about squeals and other assorted noises at 300--700 miles? At least that is the general consences in this forum. Having been in service/retail market, I fully realize that a dealer cannot stock all parts. IMO these shims are(or could be) a fast moving item. I talked to the service manager of my favorite Kaw dealership and let him know that, once I have these shims in stock, I'd be happy to loan them to him from time to time.
Monte-- The shims are $5.40 ea., there is a set of 3, that covers the entire range of adjustment(.6mm,1.0mm,1.4mm th.). I found the part #'s on <www.buykawasaki.com>, a very cool site, with parts diagrams.
jeffro--- I DON'T need MORE shims, I need THE CORRECT shims. Which I soon will have.
prairie 633-- You live about 15 min south of me. I live near Delaware OH. We ride Wayne National Forest, near Logan, Oh.(SE OH) and the Hatfield/McCoy Trails in SW WVA.
Well, I am amazed, this WAS a pretty hot topic. Thanx for the responses! nyroc, any thoughts?

Old 09-20-2002, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

In my area they don't even stock air filters and you can't order them online from Kawasaki because they are considered a part and not a maintenance item. I bought the trailer hitch from Kawasaki online and they call that a "cool new accessory" or some such foolish thing. I call it a part. Go figure.

Old 09-20-2002, 11:31 PM
The Facility

I'll let you in on a little secret about kawasaki online.

Everything purchased from there is purchased from your local dealer.

When you buy something, Kawasaki sends the profits of the sale to your dealer!!!

So.....why most think that they are "dissing" the dealer, they are actually lining his pockets.....LOL

They determine the "local dealer" based on your zip code. So while the proceeds may not go to the dealer you bought your machine from, it does go the dealer who is closest to you within the region that is decided on based on your zipcode.

Cool huh?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

It is for me....considering that I alone get 5% of that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Question about Kawasaki Dealers..........................