Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 stalling

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer has got some 2002 650's that he uncrated last week. They had the sorry original weak choke return springs, so I seriously doubt your machine that you got in March would be any different.

Old 09-30-2002, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Nova, good to know. Thanks for the head up.

Old 10-03-2002, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Went to the dealer today and talked to the mechanic. He said it probably is the choke cable and they just ordered one. It should be here next thursday. Ordered the trunk for the back too. New question is how hard would it be to put the new choke cable on myself? I'm under warranty, so would it just be better to bring it to the dealer? Thanks. This is the most helpful site I have ever found.

Old 10-04-2002, 12:09 AM
Range Rover

If it's under warranty I'd definitely let the dealer handle it if you half way trust them. I bought mine in December 01 and had no choke cable problems.

One thing to watch is that the radiators are prone to get clogged with mud. This will cause them to overheat. The first symtom of this is that the fan seems to run way more than normal. Eventually the warning light on the display will come on indicating that you are overheating. This has never happened to me but has to a couple of my buddies who were hitting a lot of mud holes real hard. If you've been riding in serious mud you should remove the plastic guards that are located on each side of the front end and flush the radiator fins out with a garden hose to clean the caked on mud out. This will help the bike run cooler and prevent overheating. Also, if the fan is running when I come to a stop I let the engine idle (even rev it a little) until the fan stops if possible. The engine will cool faster with the coolant flowing through it than it will if you just shut it off. I hope this helps.

The biggest problem I have with my P650 is like you said - having to stop on the trail and wait for others.

Old 10-04-2002, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

Gtchief

Your dealer must like you the choke is not under revisement but it should be as the new numbers are different and the cable is slightly longer. Also ask them to change the springs on the plungers it will cost maybe a couple of bucks and when you decide to update your jets for a mod you wont have any problems in between time. Here are the numbers these springs are from a KLM motocross bike and work excellent.

16C063
92081-1720
SPRING,PLUNGER

there are two springs in the bag hope this helps, have fun.

Old 10-04-2002, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

alltoys,
From my understanding on these forums kawasaki acknowledged the choke cable problem and did put out a fix with no cost. Can anyone else verify this or am I wrong? I would think even if not, since I am under warranty and this is a problem that wasnt caused by me it should be covered.

Old 10-04-2002, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

My dealer says that there wasn't a factory defect but they changed mine just the same and it didn't cost me anything and most likely not for you either. I would still have them replace the springs the cost is minimal and since they are in to the carbs anyway do the springs then yo will have a piece of mind.

Old 11-01-2002, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default 650 stalling

I'm gonna be getting my prairie back on saturday. It turns out it was not the choke cable. It was in the shop for about 3 weeks and they had no idea what it was. Tried changing everything over and finally found it to be the muffler. So I get a new muffler out of the deal. Not worth it being in the shop for 3 weeks though.

Old 11-01-2002, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default 650 stalling

Was the muffler clogged???? Why did they replace it??????

Old 11-01-2002, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default 650 stalling

There was alot of fine black powder in it. Almost like silt. I never rode in anything like that either. It may have been clogged too, I didnt find that out.

Quick Reply: 650 stalling