Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 belt help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 11:08 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my 650 for a few months and my warranty has now run out. This is my first belt drive quad and I'm sure it will also be my last. Anyway, can someone provide a list of parts and providers where I can get everything I need to work on this belt. I guess there are shims, special tools, springs and such that I'll need in order to keep the belt quiet. Every time I've had the thing adjusted, by the end of that weekend of riding, it's squealing again. Thanks in advance for any help!

Bruce403
prarie 650
motofast banshee

Old 10-07-2002, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

Who is adjusting your belt? I would try a different shop if you are having the dealership do it. I have not had 1 second of trouble out of mine. I love the cvt drive.

Old 10-07-2002, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

The biggest problem with these machines is some dealers are not very bright. You really should not be having that many belt difficulties, and your 650 belt should be giving you such reliable service that you would say that you would gladly buy another belt drive quad.

These guys sell you parts online http://www.beartoothkawasaki.com/atv_frame.html
I have never ordered.

I just go to the dealer for belts, shims etc.

Bruce, many dealer mechanics have developed very bad maintenance habits or techniques. You would know this if you had been reading the discussions from some of the more experienced kawasaki owner's posts on this forums. You would also know those of us that do our own maintenance are getting extremely high reliability out of our belts.

1. get a new belt if it is glazed or worn (see my tech tips on my website for wear info)
2. Make sure it is adjusted to the <u>LOW</u> end of the adjustment spec.
3. The black spring increases belt life. Put it on, it's only $25 and it makes the takeoff a little quicker.
4. The belt adjustment, replacemnent, spring installation are very very easy, and take a VERY small amount of time. See my website.
5. if it squeaks at idle, ignore it. Thats a good squeak.
6. If it squeals or squaks at takeoff, fix it, because it is wearing the drive pulley. I'm Very Very serious about this.

The 650 is very reliable, but it needs smarts in the belt maintenance dept or it won't be very good.

If you are the kind of person that's afraid to lift a wrench, you may get hosed by the dealer mechanic over an over again. Dealer mechanics are sometimes not very well informed and not very honest either. They are sometimes very profit oriented.

Read my 650 tech tips, and decide for yourself if you can do it. Just because there are a lot of them doesn't mean the 650 is a pain in the butt, some of those tech tips came from other people's machines. All I ever had to do was adjust the belt and the shifter. I broke a lot of other stuff, and completely messed up my cooling system. But that stuff would not have happened if it weren't for my own mistakes.

Old 10-07-2002, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

Hey you frequent forum readers, isn't it true that almost every time someone new comes to this forum to spill their guts about their 650 belt problems, it because the dealer doesn't know how to fix the machine?

I'm not saying they are all bad, in fact, I believe 2 out of 3 dealers near me are pretty good at repairing the 650.

Old 10-07-2002, 02:35 PM
MDG
Range Rover

I agree with NYROC. The belt adjustment is easy and you should save the money and do it yourself. I don't trust my local dealer and drive 80 miles to one I trust. I adjusted my own belt and installed the black spring. I visited NYROC’S tech tips and then got after it. The only thing I would advise is to use a scale (like a fish scale) to measure the pressure you apply to the belt when measuring the deflection. I think it is 13 pounds. I just used my finger the first time and got it to tight. To tight will make it squeal allot when in gear and not moving. Also put a socket extension between the frame and driven sheave to hold it when you torque the bolt. I have a sketch of where to put the extension if you want me to E-mail it to you. It's an easy job and will make your belt last allot longer.

Old 10-07-2002, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

The dealers can really ride ya if they want or don't know how to adjust the belt. Learn to do it yourself, more piece of mind in the end.

Old 10-07-2002, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

MDG, did that extension trick of yours work to loosen or just to tighten?

Send it to me and I will post it on the website for everybody's benefit. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2002, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer

Nyroc, I know you have posted this before...but who sells the black spring?

Old 10-07-2002, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

For the &quot;black spring&quot; go to www.erlandsonperformance.com

The price is approx. $50 and you can order form the web site and have it in a few days.

Old 10-07-2002, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Nyroc is right about the dealers...Do it yourself. Nyroc's sight will help with everything you need. THe belt adjustment and spring replacement is a piece of cake. I really enjoy learning about my 650 while I am working on it. Just do it yourself!

Quick Reply: 650 belt help please