Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

EPI new Red secondary spring for 650

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPI new Red secondary spring for 650

Has anyone tried the red EPI secondary spring (KSS4) ? I was on their web site tonight and they show a red secondary for the 650. This spring wasn't listed on the 2002 catalog so I'm assuming its recent addition.

EPI Website

Old 10-14-2002, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Not that recent . It has been available since early this year, I think. But I forgot exactly when I saw it.

Kissofdeath(?) is a strong advocate of the red spring. Not everyone likes that red spring, others are not interested in making the big change (Nyroc, for example). I think everyone has either faith in or a strong conviction of the black spring.

Red spring raises engagement RPM, and increases takeoff power. It is loved by the most serious mudders and ATV pullers. It is not well liked by the more casual riders, due to the more abrupt takeoff at the higher RPM. Some people try it and remove it.

Old 10-15-2002, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've installed the red spring. It's not for the faint at heart..but neither is the 650!
Works great in the mud.

Old 10-15-2002, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

I think people are getting the two red springs confused.

I noticed the new "red" secondary a month or so ago. It was not available when I ordered the black one.

I've always understood a stiffer primary spring will increase rpm engagement. While a stiffer secondary will increase belt bite/less slip.

Old 10-15-2002, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer

DirtyWhiteBoy, I think you're right about the confusion. There is recently added red "secondary" spring listed on EPI as well as the red "primary" spring.

I spoke with EPI this morning and they said the red secondary was added in Sept. The tech I spoke with didn't recommend the red one for the 650 but did recommend it for the 360 (although it is listed for the 650). He said the red spring was a bit too stiff for the 650 and you'll find it "bites" too hard (like an on/off switch). The 360 doesn't have the power the 650 has so the snap wouldn't be as great. DirtyWhiteBoy, just as well they were out of stock, you probably wouldn't be happy with red one anyway....

If the red/black combo is not for the faint at heart, then the red/red combo must be really wild!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] It would fun to try it out but like you said Nyroc, I wouldn't want to make that big a change.

Looks like its back to black.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-15-2002, 01:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm referring to the old red spring for clarification......

DWB....I agree...possibly some maybe confusing the 2. Master Nyroc has text on this.
To clarify, I have the a black driven spring (secondary) and the red (primary) installed. I also received an orange spring which was not installed.

The red spring takes a little getting used to as it's intended to engage at higher RPMs and thus you need to get used applying the right amount of throttle for those who wish smooth take-offs......... or just rev it up and hold on.

Old 10-15-2002, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

supernova summed it up in his reply. It just takes some getting used to. Thing is you will never know if you like it until you have tried it. I was hesitant about the red spring myself talking to the salesman. After talking with him I finally decided, "well its only $20 to find out". I love it, if you feather the throttle and learn when to expect the belt to engage you can achieve smooth takeoffs every time. Its harder in low range but I have learned how to do it too. One more thing, replaceing the primary spring is 10 times easier than the secondary spring. To install the red "primary, drive, front pulley" spring all you need is a 19mm socket/breakerbar and a 10mm socket/wratchet. Remove the center bolt and the eight 10mm bolts. The spring isnt even under pressure and removes by hand. Another plus is you dont need an impact wrench to remove the 19mm bolt. I insert a wooden dowl rod through the outside "spider" pulley and down to the foot brake. "Not sure if thats the proper name." This will easily hold the pulley for you to loosen and tighten the bolt.

BogHog, answering your question, everone I know and heard of is using the Black secondary spring. The only primary spring in use is the Red one made for it.