Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

So I rode a P650 and...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I rode a P650 and...

Did you release the parking brake? Were those stock tires on the "test" bike?

Old 10-16-2002, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Andy, your comin' from a pretty good machine(as far as performance and ride goes)andd I can see how you might not be impressed easily.The thing is....the 650 will definately grow on you.I kinda know what those 400 Explorers are like, I had 2 of them.The 650 is probably the best next step if you really like your 400 Xplorer.It will perform as well(probably better if you give at a chance)And I know you'll spend less time wrenching.You should check out the 500 HO ,but I don't think one of those would impress you very much either.

Old 10-16-2002, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

Wow Guys! Those are some great responses!

To answer a few questions...

The one I rode did have the factory tires on it. Infact it was brand new with only 60 miles on it.

No, the short ride i had was no where near long enough to get the feel for what it would do.

Yes I did have the brake released...lol

To the guys that have ridden or owned Polaris's before,your insights are really helpful.

Well hell, after reading all this Im ready to go buy one again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

Andy G

Old 10-16-2002, 10:29 PM
Range Rover

Andy,

I promise you won't regret it. I told myself that I would upgrade tires in year or so. Now, only 3 weeks later (and about 50 miles), I wish I would have done it already. My rims are bunged up, and I probably could have sold them when they were brand new.

Old 10-16-2002, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

One thing this forum has taught me was about tires. When I bought my P650, I kept the stock tires. When I get my next one, I'm going to get different tires put on by the dealer. I'm thinking about the 589's and hoping that will be what I need for my style of riding. I'm not in mud all the time, but when I do get in mud, I get in some deep mud. I was in mud to the top of the fenders and barely made it out and a couple of times I didn't. I could have handled that hole easily with some good tires. Some of the guys riding with me were sort of shocked at how good the 650 did with those stock tires. But I didn't realize how much better it would perform with better tires.

Old 10-16-2002, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Thats what I did rebelds but I kept the stocker tires and wheels.

Old 10-16-2002, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Andy G, step up and go get the 650!!! Do yourself a favor first. Before you buy it, tell the dealer to take off the stock tires and put on some aftermarket skins. My buddy bought a brand new Grizz, and his dealer took off the stock skins and put on some Mud Machine Bi-claws. He credited him $65 Canadian per tire, so that took the sting out of the cost of the Bi-claws. If you have a good dealer, he should do this for you, considering you are gonna drop $6500 or so in his store. Squeeze him for a helmet too!!!

Old 10-16-2002, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Don't be bashing' the Polaris machines as of yet. Whatever the P650 owners say the Scrambler 400/500 are still the fastest, most agile 4X4's out there. Granted they do not have the utility of a P650, but most people just like to ride and carry a cooler on the rack. I can say the P650 is one fast 4X4, I own one but I also have a 98 SCR 500 with some HPD mods and it will top out at 72mph (GPS). My P650 (stock) 64(GPS). Top speed is fine, but acceleration is another thing and so is handling, this is where a Scrambler has the advantage over a P650. It will out accelerate my P650 big time. The key to getting over the lag on a Polaris as we all know in a drag hold the brake hit the gas slightly and launch. I just put the black spring in my P650 so we will see what a difference it makes on the acceleration, but as for now my SCR 500 will eat it alive in a drag as well as hill climes. The one thing the Polaris quads have that is really superior to all others is the 4X4 system-one push of a button and guess what, all wheel drive, no levers to pull no wire harness to modify, just push it or on the newer ones toggle it -and go. Now I don't want to be a bigot but I simply love the new KFX 700, God I wish it was a 4X4, but with all that power maybe I won't need it, since I think I would be airborne half the time. Honestly both machines are great, and both machines will totally destroy the new Rincon (my neighbor got one a week ago). As far as I'm concerned there are only three real sport 4X4's the Scrambler, P650 and the Wolverine. All three are still better than the new Rincon. I took it for a three hour ride tonight, yea I get bounced around way more on the Scr500 and P650, but it rocks from side to side really bad at speed. It pushes in the corners and it has no low end acceleration when compared to my two machines. I can't speak for a new Grizzly nor a SP700 but I know from reading these forms that they can keep up with a SCR and P650 so again Honda is a day late and a dollar short in this market as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-17-2002, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

Sep1 you do realize that as you're telling us how the Scambler is faster than the Prairie you're also telling us the Scambler is modified and the Prairie is stock. Do you feel that your modified scrambler would still be faster than a modified 650? Or a stock Scrambler faster than a stock Prairie? My machine may be an oddball but I have seen that stock vs. stock the Prairie was faster than the Scambler 500 4x4. I'm not trying to bash on you just questioning your apples to oranges comparison.

edit:*Damn! Looks like I got rated and cut to the bone for this comment!*

Old 10-17-2002, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

I really do not think it is apples to oranges comparison, for the simple reason that these two machines were designed with the same purpose, sporty 4X4's. Will a stock scrambler beet a stock P650--NO! But the only mods I have on my SCR500 are a clutch kit and exhaust both from HPD. I think that is a fair comparison because of the displacement disadvantage. This is the only mod for the SCR500 that is worth the money and it is night and day compared to stock. Now as far as my P650 is concerned, I put a black spring in the clutch, but didn't do a side by side comparison as of yet, however seat of the pants would suggest a decent improvement in acceleration throughout the power band. Top speed did not improve, but that is not what I was looking for, be honest most of the time while riding your lucky to have an open stretch of 50yards let alone 1/4mi to open her up. I know that adding a pipe or even better that elusive CDI box and the P650 would clean house in a straight drag on the SCR500. I really need to improve the handling on the P650, as you all know the stock skins are worthless-performance wise. I was thinking of All-Trax's in the rear and B-claws up front. With the stiffer tire I think that would keep the front end from diving so much in the corners. Any suggestions on a tire combo. I'm tring to be unbiased as possible I do own both machines, so why would I bash myself. I'm just trying to share my experience with both. I know this stared out comparing the SP500 to the P650, which I think is a moot point. The P650 has to strong of a motor. You can say the SP500 is better in mud, has more ground clearance, better ride or whatever, In my opinion all those strengths combined will not make up for the motor in the P650. It is awesome that’s is why I'm considering the new 700.