Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lakota in a Arena Cross.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002 | 03:14 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Lakota in a Arena Cross.

Hay guys I took it to the road in a Arena Cross last week. Was by far not my best race but I'll give you the low down.

First it was a very physicly demanding track. Very busy, no rest points and no braeks any where on the track. It was in Gonzales Louisiana, rite next to Baton Rouge.

Practice was scary. The theme every one had the hole day and night was "did you see them whoops". Man they where tough, about 100 yards of some narly nasty whoops.

Ok qualifying. I shot out of the gate, not sure what happen at the start but made the corner into the whoops in second behind a 250R. About 1/3rd way into the whoops I was shocked. I was in complete rythum and moving fast, or fast as the whoops let me. I hit the next corner and hit the jump, still in complete rythum. Made the first lap and the 250R in front of me was steadily pulling away. About the third lap I came over the finish line jump and seen the third place guy and the rest of the field was just entering the whoops, now I was realy in shock, easy second I thought. But on the finall lap it happened, freaked me out. I nailed a double and my quad just died in the air. I was freaking out when I landed had no idea what was wrong. Nothing worked except the nuetral light, then at the last second I looked and the kill switch was off, OH GOD, NOOOOO. So I stabbed the start button and bam I was gone finished fith.

Made it to the main. Here we go, 10 quads at the gate and had another row line up rite behind us. 1 250R, 1 Shee, 3 Z400's and the rest 400EX's. I was nervouse as I ever been.

Gate drops, bam outa there good again, get about 3/4 down the straight and quads flipping every where, wow, just got lucky and dodged them. Here we go first corner down threw the whoops again, wow second again. Coming out of the whoops the shee took the inside, no prob I was on the outside with a head of steam. Then he throws the block up the finish line jump, I tapped the braeks just a bit but this idiot wants me out quick, he nearly stopped at the top of the jump, BAM I hit him. Got me stuck in third nearly staulled and went down the jump back wards. So I gather my self but now I'm in the meat of the pack. Man they where all over me, infront, on the side and behind me. We go about 3 or 4 laps like that, just ugly. Beating off each other no room to do squat just keep it stabbed and bounce off each other. Man I couldn't take any more beating they wore me out quick. I seen a glimmer of lite and just darted out of the pack. It may have been not the best line to take but I was outa there. Well after that I was plum wore out. I maintaned my spot and finished 7th over all.

The AX was by far the hardest racing I ever did. The obsticles and transition points on the track realy test the amont of nads you realy have. If you ever get stuck in the pack it is down rite brutall.

I had the time of my life and hope to return in march when they have another. I would like the chance to redeem myself. I felt with all the weather we had I never got to get back in shape, and if I did, I felt I could have done better.

Old 10-25-2002 | 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me like you did really good, especially for the 1st time and the competition you were up against. Congrats on a well run race, and most importantly made it out without getting you, or the quad, hurt. Keep givin' 'em he!!, Gaff! I would love to be there and watch. You'd prob. convince me to run, though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2002 | 05:49 PM
|
Pro Rider

You can bet your bottom dallor I would have had you in there, lol.

Old 10-25-2002 | 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I figured as much! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2002 | 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

Gaff
Great race.
Looks like you got the lakota running great. now its time to work on you.
good luck
Raymond

Old 10-26-2002 | 08:45 PM
Trailblazer

Congrat, sounds like you did great when compared to the competion. I have my 400Ex but for trhe hell of it I took my wifes Lakota which has a 13T spocket and an IDS2 pipe, everything else is stock and that machine kicked my but on whoops that I glide over on my 400EX. I will upgrade her suspension definatly now. Also I will get rid of the stock tires nand rims. What have you done to the suspension besides the 250R shock and was that a bolt in and go? I was thinking about puting my 400EX tires w/aluminum rims on it with a +2 axle and wider offsets for the front and new shocks. Any input is appreciated.

Old 10-26-2002 | 09:33 PM
|
Pro Rider

LOL, you ready for this, I have stock suspention, lol. I'm not the one with the 250R shock. But I have read plenty about a 250R shock fitting a mojave, so should on a lakota as well.

The only thing I've done to chassis is replace the tires and flip the front rims. I keep the front shocks on thier softest setting and the rear at the second to the softest setting. Also replace the handle bars, they bend when you land.

The key to my success on the lakota and how to ride it like I have it is to stay off any high performance quads. Things you do on them can be done on lakota's too, but just differently. It would take me three pages and all night to describe how I make it threw every obsticle and how it differs from say the EX.

As you get more HP out of the motor the handling becomes much better. It realy doesn't handle that bad if you develope the power. The suspention is stiff and thier is ways to ride around it, but I can hardly ever bottom it out. Oh yah when you catch big air it falls not like a rock but a bolder, lol.

Old 10-26-2002 | 10:12 PM
RIP Dear Friend

gaff,

On a Lakota that is really something. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Are you the only Lakota there?

Chet

Old 10-26-2002 | 10:25 PM
|
Pro Rider

Chet,

I have yet to see another lakota at any race. Infact I've only seen one at practice one time, and he had it set up for wheely contest or something like that.

I've worked on a few, but never seen any racing.

They had a 300EX there, but I believe something happen to it. He practiced and didn't return.

I'm waiting on the cannondale crew to return tonight to the forum. They raced the same one but in starksville mississippi.

Old 10-27-2002 | 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

does taht 330 kit help? is there any mojos there

Quick Reply: Lakota in a Arena Cross.