Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Sleeper Prairie

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleeper Prairie

Originally posted by: NTHEWND
I thought Penland races in the STOCK UTILITY class?
He normally does, Kilby runs modified and uses parts from PBR. As far as I know Mike is bone stock except for his plastic and a few billet parts and his peg extensions.

Old 11-20-2002, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sleeper Prairie

kawirob,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - business is out of control right now. We don't have any dyno sheets on Kilby's or Shelley's machines. I haven't run Shelley's machine against any sport quads but I'm willing to bet it outruns Chad Duvall's 500EX in a drag race.

alltoys,

I don't have a problem selling you parts as long as I have made myself clear that I did not design it to run on nitrous or with a turbo. If you do order something, make sure I know it is going on a turbo motor and I will cut the compression back from 11:1 to something around 9:1.

Old 11-20-2002, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sleeper Prairie

mike, how much would it cost to port both cylinders?

Old 11-22-2002, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sleeper Prairie

Mickey I like the sounds of 11-1 but isn't the bike already at 9-1 or 9.5-1 in that range. I am seriously looking into the 700 when it is available and putting my stuff onto that bike instead of the 650. It is difficult to mount this turbo and make it work for mudding and general messing around. So a 750 works much better for me in the long run. I want to get into ice raceing this winter and I will use my 650, for next season I will hopefully have a 700 all tricked out.

Right now I have my Titanium axle machined and working on the worm gears should have the rear end together next weed some time. I will call later and talk to you about your 750 sounds great do you have the cylinders coated with anything or is that needed.

Old 11-22-2002, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sleeper Prairie

Each head will be $300 for port & flow work after the first of the year.

11:1 will work fine without a turbo and that's what our production pistons will be.

Old 11-23-2002, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sleeper Prairie

Hello Mickey I remembered another question for you do you use a stiffer spring for the valves or do you use the original springs. Far as I now there is no other company that makes a stiffer spring and to go to another spring I would have to machine the head to fit. Is this what you do use another spring from a street bike and machine the head to fit or have one made specifically for the 650? Thanks for your help!!

Old 11-23-2002, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sleeper Prairie

Valve springs are $95 per head ready to bolt in. No modifications needed. Please call or e-mail me at mdunlap@bedford.net for any more information. I am not supposed to be on here soliciting work which I am not doing but it may look that way.

Old 11-23-2002, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sleeper Prairie

I don't know for sure but I would guess that the valve springs may be no stiffer. Instead, they may be designed to avoid binding at full lift with an aftermarket (higher lift than stock) cam.

Old 11-23-2002, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sleeper Prairie

Hello Scott

When the lobes on the cams are more radical than stock, the springs will have to be stiffer as the speed at which they open and close are more pronounced. In other words the valves will have open and close faster than they would at stock configuration for the same rpm and greater. The lobes are not egg shaped now they are more square so the edge on two sides will be sharper making the valve open faster at a point and close faster at the opposite point therefore needing a stronger spring so you don't valve float.

Mickey does that explain the need for stronger springs or am I talking for the heck for the heck of it? Would I need heavier springs for the intake and exhaust or just the exhaust itself? Again thankyou for your help!

Old 11-24-2002, 08:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sleeper Prairie

Alltoys, you're most likely correct. That just occurred to me when I woke up this morning, I came running down to log on and add that to my post and luckily you had already made the correction. On a 4x4 ATV engine we wouldn't see the level of lift needed to bind the springs. Didn't want to mis-lead anybody. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Sleeper Prairie