Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Got Torque?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got Torque?

Went on my first real ride today with My P650.
None of my friends could get loose from their ball and chain{wives} so I pryed my dad off the sofa and made him go with me. Actually it wasnt to hard,he saw me pulling up with the trailer and he was changing clothes before i could get in the house. lol
We had a great ride at some local trials with tons of mud. I got the 650 stuck twice because every time we came to a nasty hole, dad would make me go first to see how bad it was. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

But anyway...after ridding for a while I asked dad if he wanted to ride the 650 and of course he said yes. I really didnt want to swap but I knew he was having a fit to ride mine. One thing I always liked about his Magnum 500 was all the low end torque it had. I mean its big and heavy but it always seemed like it really had *****. Well today when we took off all i could think was "What the hells wrong with this thing" lol After riding the 650 his 500 felt like a real wuss. I couldnt believe the differance.

I think Im going to be real happy with my little red Kawi. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Andy G

Old 11-11-2002, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default Got Torque?

i am sure you will love the 650!!! congrats![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-11-2002, 03:28 AM
Pro Rider
Default Got Torque?

Andy would you like some more torque??

Old 11-11-2002, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default Got Torque?

Originally posted by: alltoys
Andy would you like some more torque??
I'll take all I can get. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Andy G

Old 11-11-2002, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Got Torque?

Andy G

If you haven't done it yet modd your muffler whether you do it via Nyrocs method witch is much cheaper or get an aftermarket one this is a big advantage. Next redo the jets if you go Dyno flow jets get the stage 2 kit and not the stage 1 or the Kawi jets work just as well or better this is my choice. Next change the intake to a Diamond G snorkle and find some vents to put in the airbox cover thereby can close them up when mud crossing or open for more air flow. The quad is heavily restricted in these areas you open these up and you will at least gain 10% more ponys guaranteed!!

The next best thing is to change the driven spring to black spring from EPI the cost is minimal and smartens the quad up and takes attention. There is tons of information on this forum do a search for these components you will get pages and pictures of all I discussed everything you wanted to now and afraid to ask.

Old 11-11-2002, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Got Torque?

Alltoys, where did you get a stage 2 Dyno-Jet kit? All I could find was the stage 1. What do you get with the kit? Just bigger jets than the stage 1? As far as the stock Kawi needles go, do you need to shim them much? I'm curious as I don't like the taper of the DJ needles and was thinking of removing them.

Old 11-11-2002, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Got Torque?

Thanks a lot alltoys.

I put my 27 inch 589s on today and now my belt groans and squeeks under a heavy load{mud or a big hill}. I just ordered a black spring from EPI so this weekend Im going to put that in and tighten the belt. I hope that fixes it.

Im thinking about doing NYROC's muffler mod but Im a little concerned that it will be too loud.

Also Im not sure if Diamond G makes a snorkel that will fit the 03 airbox,but I am going to ccheck on that.

Somebody will have to clue me in on the Dyno Jet kits. Ive saw them mentioned on here several times but Im not clear on what they do. I would guess its just bigger jets.

Anyway, so far i really love this thing!

Andy G

Old 11-11-2002, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Got Torque?

Nova

I myself am not a beleiver in the dyno jets not enough oomph out of the starting block. They work well in the middle and top end but not on the bottom end. For this I prefer the Kawi jets or Mikunei's same thing and are only 5 bucks a piece. They lend themselves to be adapted more readily than the dynos for general application stay with what is already there. With modded muffler, intake and carbs I was using 145fr and 148r kawi jets. With the stock set at 138fr and 142r these jets are at least one size larger than the largest jet in the stage one kit from Dyno Flo. So If you paid $110 dollars for the stage one kit you bought it for nothing because you are working backwards instead going forwards. Put your original jets in the bike, take off the airbox lid and give it a run without setting the air screws. It might sputter a little or it might have a flat spot. Adjust the air screws if need be and you will find a definate power increase from the Mikunies. I see from your sig you have changed air filter next is the snorkle but the most increase you will have is from the muffler modd. If you are putting air into the bike you must get rid of it and this is the easiest way. For Dyno Flo jets they don't advertize the stage 2 but if you phone them they are great to talk to and will help with any questions you may have.

Andy G

Modding the muffler by way of Nyroc will sound louder no doubt about it but what a difference in power gains. I use Nyrocs muffler modd I changed the holes by going with 12 1/2 inch holes, I like the sound it sounds like a Harley. Mike Penland has a signature series muffler that is woods approved and the arrester can be taken out to get more performance when you want it.

Old 11-11-2002, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default Got Torque?

Hey Alltoys.
I'm running dyno-jet kit. 130 front & 134 rear with needle on the 4th notch. Are you saying that I should use the different jets and stock needles or just the jets?
R.

Old 11-12-2002, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default Got Torque?

definition: tourqe- tor-eke, the sand dunning prarie in the nov edition of 4wheel atv action,or see alltoys on page

Quick Reply: Got Torque?