Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

JUST INSTALLED BLACK SPRING AND ADJUSTED BELT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JUST INSTALLED BLACK SPRING AND ADJUSTED BELT!!!

HI GUY'S:
Well this weekend past I installed the Black Spring and adjusted my belt...after 1300kms (HARD KMS!!!) I had noticed a very slight squeak from the belt last ride out so I figured it was time. Made the Spring compressor ala "Nyroc" and done the job. It was very simple. I couldn't believe how easy and fast you can change the belt on this thing!!! Picking you nose is probably harder! Well now the belt squeals a little at idle while in high or low...so it's good and tight. Mine only had one spacer or shim and it was the large one.
Took her out for a ride yesterday and the low end bite is noticeable no doubt. She wheelies easier and pulls harder. I didn't get to test my top speed with the spring but I figure it will be better as the belt is tighter(Now that it's in spec). I have gone 103kms per hour (64MPH) before. Lots of mud and water in yesterdays ride with a bit of snow!!! A TON OF FUN!!! Man this bike is a BULL , I love it. My new tires should be finally in by weeks end as my Buddy finally put in his order...26" Kenda Bear Claws baby! Can't wait to try her out with a new set of socks on her....oops NYLONS right dear...gotta go touch her ...later!

PS: Many thanks to " Master Nyroc " for showing us the way.

ROB

Old 11-12-2002, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

how fast does yor prarie go??

Old 11-12-2002, 05:09 AM
Pro Rider

I also adjusted my belt this weekend using nyroc's compression tool. I removed the large 1.4 mm shim also. The job was very easy. I believe this is the first time my belt is within the specs limit.

Old 11-12-2002, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider

kawirob--- You said that you still had a squeal, on take off (in Hi or low), right? Sounds like the belt is still a little loose. Did you go from the 1.4mm shim, to the 1.0mm one? If so, sounds like you need to go to the .8mm shim. That black spring kicks-a$$, doesn't it?
Good luck learning the "black-art" of belt maintenance. It all makes sense, and is an easy process, once you have: "been there, done that"!
Enjoy the ride............................

Old 11-12-2002, 09:17 AM
rty
Trailblazer

Excellent news!! I am eagerly looking forward for my black spring, which should be arriving today or tomorrow. I will be putting that baby in this weekend. My P650 only has 30 miles and isn't squeaking, but I wanted the black spring anyway. I also want to get some 26" Bearclaws, but sadly, I will have to wear the Dunflops out first. With luck, I will rip a sidewall and then will be forced to upgrade. This makes it easier the justify to the old lady.

I have a trip planned to Shiloh Ridge (Texas) on thanskgiving weekend with about 10 other buddies, were I am going to put her to the test. Most of them ride sport machines like a 300EX or a Scrambler or a Blaster, although one does have a Raptor and another has a DS650. They are gonna be surprised when they get that **** spanked by the big 650 (except maybe the Raptor and the DS650).

Old 11-12-2002, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

TRX450:
My belt does not squeal on take-off. It makes a very slight chirping or squeal while sitting there with the brakes on, while the tranny is in high or low. It's not very noticeable...but it's there. "Nyroc" has said it will do this if the belt is nice and tight. My belt is at the lower end of spec(Deflection)...if my measurements are correct, but I assure you there is no slippage at takeoff. I removed the shim alltogether...I believe it was the 1.4mm shim. Anyhow... the beast performs better now, than when new without doubt. I will try a top speed run soon...the roads I was on weekend past were full of water filled pot-holes and 92kms per hour was all I dared. I am now of the opinion that my belt was on the high end of spec (deflection) to begin with...if not actually over it.
"AlbaBanshee"...as stated above my 650 has done 103kms per hour...which works out to 64.01mph. I believe it will do more now that my belt is tight. A friend of mine that has one went 110kms per hour on his which is 68.35mph...his belt also sqealed at idle while in gear but not on takeoff. he also has 25" Dirt-Devils on it. If you check my pics you will see a very non-aerodynamic trunk seat which no doubt slows me down...maybe I will remove it to see what she really can do. But top speed is less important to me than Rip-Roaring acceleration !!! Thats whats fun!!!

ROB

Old 11-13-2002, 07:29 AM
Pro Rider

kawirob--- The squeal at idle, with trans in hi or lo range means the belt is a little tight. Mine did EXACTLY the same thing. It had the SAME (1.4mm) shim, too. I went with the 1.0mm shim, but should have installed the .8mm shim. I'll guarantee that, if you put in the .8 mm shim, it'll be right on the money. I think Master Nyroc will agree with my take on the adjustment.
Good luck!