Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Adjusting jets for weather changes

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002 | 03:22 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Adjusting jets for weather changes

I recieved a dyno jet kit late this summer and haven't got around to installing it yet. To damn many house projects.

Anyways I am wondering if I install the kit now, (high temp in winter is around 30 to 45, low around 15) will I have to readjust this summer. If so how hard is that.

Second do I need to have the snorkle installed before the jets?

Old 11-13-2002 | 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

You don't have to have the snorkal and air filter installed befor the jets BUT if you get it running right before you do all that you will have to ( most likely) rejet when you do put them in. I did the air filter and jet kit and it had a lag at take off with the seting or 138f and 142 rear. I put the snorkal in and it was fine i ride about 2200 feet. We have had some cold days and so fare mine has not needed rejetted that I have noticed. Just me 2 cents.

Old 11-14-2002 | 04:41 AM
Range Rover

if you're running a fully stock machine do you still have to rejet from summer to winter? all stock my prairie has a slight hesitation if you hammer on it from a dead stop. any suggestions?

Old 11-14-2002 | 06:12 AM
Pro Rider

Take the air filter cover off and see if it gets better or worse and let us know.

Old 11-15-2002 | 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

dawg,
if you set your jetting up for wintertime and there is a real big diffrence in temps between winter and summer, then chances are you may have to rejet, usually when you set it up, it will compensate for about 1 jet size anyway, due to temp change or elevation, much beyond that and it gets noticable. what I'm trying to say is if your typical winter temps are 20 degrees, and your typical summer temps are 80 degrees, then that amounts to about 60 degrees change..or 2 jet sizes..the mains are what change, & they are easy..so no big deal.. I'm in fla, so winter is a tough 2 weeks here, & while there is a temp diffrence, it is usually about 30 degrees or less, so I have not noticed it to be a problem on my 2 street bikes as well. If you were racing, then air density, elevation, temp change would have an effect. but for most folks if it is within a jet size, it is not worth tinkering with.
it all depends on how much of a perfectionist you are, & how much you like to tinker..

I don't know what to tell you about the DJ KIT as far as what to start with, but at Fla, 200' elev, stock exhaust, Diamond G snorkle, twin air filter, 3 uni vents in snorkle cover, I'm quite happy with Stock jets, but up one size..I took rear jet (142) out & put it in the front, & put a 145 in the rear, & turned the mix screws out about 1/2 turn.. it was worth the 6 bucks for the jet..
I had a DJ kit, but I did'nt like the taper of the needles..so I sold it & used stock jets..

some folks like the DJ kits, that's fine..rember what you're really paying for though..someone to tinker with the settings & tell you how to set it up.. I learned this on my street bikes..so no jet kits on them as well..not saying that I did not mod the airboxes, shim the needles, & change the mains & pilots..(I did) but I did not use a jet kit..

in other words...try it..come summertime if it is running too rich, drop the size on the mains.... only 1 way to find out..

Old 11-19-2002 | 02:33 PM
Range Rover

hey monteSS,

i took my air filter cover off and it got alot worse. when you try to give it gas it will bog out and try to die. any other suggestions? what will happen if you dont rejet for winter? will it just have a hesitation on take off or will it screw the motor up? any help would be appreciated. how hard is it to rejet anyway?

Old 11-19-2002 | 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

No, it won't mess your motor up. Open your pilot screws a little at a time to richen the idle and bottom end. The hesitation should get better.
Sorry, MonteSS, I kind of jumped in there.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2002 | 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

That means you are lean and need to step up the jets (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) It is real easy just to change the jets if you plan on running the Kawi jets it takes like 15 minutes to redo.

I asked the same question on back here is what Gaff had to say

Old 11-19-2002 | 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know for sure, but I've seen rich running 650's that would bog out dead lean with the filter cover pulled off. Rammy's machine is totally stock; it would be very strange to need a main jet change for cold weather on a stock machine. I haven't heard about that problem on other stock 650's. Rammy's problem is at the bottom end at take-off; I'm still inclined to think that a richer idle circuit would help it.

Old 11-19-2002 | 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

Dirtydawg....
If you can wade through all the elemental stuff on this link attached below, there is a kind of useful chart for correcting for weather changes....

Maybe you have already seen this chart, but I refer to it often when I'm not quite sure which component of the carburetor I should be messing with..

carburetors

It's more towards the bottom of the link sent.

Quick Reply: Adjusting jets for weather changes