Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2003 360 squeal clutch worn

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 08:39 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 360 squeal clutch worn

I have a 2003 360 prairie and had a squeal into it when I started off just for asec and then it was gone. The squeal seemed to be worst when I used it for awhile. This bike only has 1300 km on it so I took it to the dealer yesterday to get it checked hoping that that belt had to be tightened and when I came back to pick it up the dealer said the clutch was gone, he said the clutch was wore. He called kawasaki and was waiting for a call back from them to get the out come. I said to him I couldnt understand why the clutch would be worn out with only 1300 km on it and he said was cause the bike was drove in high gear all the time. He said when the bike is been driven slow it should be in low gear. I dont know if the bike was drove that way cause I bought it a few weeks ago at 3 months old private deal. If any had the same problem let me know. When I hear back from the dealer I will let you know the out come. It still has 3 months warranty on it yet so I hope the clutch would be replaced under warranty.

Old 11-16-2002, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

An extremely common problem. The squeal was caused by a loose belt. All clutches with a few miles on them show a groove in the clutch sheaves (faces). This is caused by a loose belt, running a lot in high range at very slow speeds and cheap metal. If the sheaves are worn and the Kawi will cover them under warranty, great. If they won't cover them, just have them put a new belt on the old clutch, make sure it's adjusted properly and you should be good to go. The clutch faces would have to be terrible in order feel any problem while driving. And you don't even want to know what they will try to charge you for the new clutch!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Do a search for "belts, clutches, belt adjustment, etc.", you will find many helpful hints.

Old 11-16-2002, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

newfieboy58,

1. some dealers are dumb enough to actually think a little grooving on the pulleys means it needs replacing.
2. some are crooked enough to tell you that it needs replacing because telling you that story is more profitable.
3. some dealers have never seen an adjustable belt, so they might not know how to tighten it. I'm not joking, I know of one such dealer.
4. 99.9% of all prairie belt complaints just need a new belt, adjusted on the tight side of the spec, with a stiffer EPI driven spring, for about $90 (belt), $0 (adjustment requires a little brains, priceless), and $25 (EPI spring).
5. I have some tech tips for prairies on my website, if you are interested in taking a look at it. It may help you since the 360 belt is almost the exact same thing as a 650. Once you understand the cvt, it is as simple as changing a tire.

Hey Novakaw650

Did that McGruff dog ever have any puppies? You know the dog that was taking a bite out of crime (maybe that only appeared on US televisions)? Maybe somebody who knows what breed of dog that is could train some to "Take a bite out of stupid atv dealers".

I was hoping to take a bite out of the easily repaired "belt problems" with my website, but I realize few people go there when their prairie has a common prob. Some people don't even read what's there. Some people don't like to fix their quad themselves (even though it is simple).

Whatcha think? Take a McGruff dog to the dealer, and the moment they start spewing stupid or dishonest crap about fixing your machine, the dog attacks?

Old 11-16-2002, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Nyroc - McGruff would need a lot of pups to cover all the dealers - there are too many dealers suffering from the "if it's still under warranty, it's not worn out, but if you're paying, it is worn out " syndrome. How many times do we hear "the belt's loose, replace it" from a supposedly factory trained dealer? It's lame that Kawi doesn't do a better job of looking after their customers. Some dealers are okay, others are honest but need to be led by the hand if there's a technical problem (my dealer falls in this catagory), and others want to rob you blind. A big dog with sharp teeth is needed for that final catagory!

Nyroc, your website is an invaluable tool that has helped many on the site. Even if an owner does not or cannot do his own service, he or she can download the necessary info from the website and go to the dealer armed with information. This greatly reduces the risk of being gouged or ripped off. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2002, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer

Hi nyroc pro rider tried going to your web page and all that will open was this when I tried to view :The parameter is incorrect. Is there something I have to do different to get it to open,let me know. I tried before getting into your atv page and that is the message I got.

Old 11-16-2002, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

Hey there newfieboy 58 - how's she goin' der by!! I can open Nyroc's site; I think he said in the past that if you were running Netscape 4.7 or something else old his site wouldn't work. Or something like that. About the clutch - are the sheaves worn? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2002, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer

Hi NovaKaw650 Range Rover: The only thing the dealer said was the clutch was worn the part that slide or inside part I think not sure about the sheaves all I get is a squeal at the start and that he called kawasaki and was waiting to hear back from them before he will do anything. I have to call them on Monday in Corner Brook hope that they will cover under warranty if not a new belt will go on and a new spring like pro rider mentioned and maybe before I replace the belt I will be getting rid of this bike and going back and buying a new honda. I will be going to Nova Scotia cause I can get a bike ther for a $1000.00 less than what I can get one here for.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2002, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

If the inner bushing for the driven clutch is worn out, that should definitely be a warranty job! No inner clutch parts will be damaged by driving in high range. Several driven clutches were replaced on warranty by my dealer due to no gease in the bushing and clutch buttons. They were dry from the factory on a few 650's. I still think if your only problem was the belt squealing, there is probably nothing wrong with the clutch itself. If you do get a new belt and it's adjusted to the tight side of factory specs, it will last a long, long time.

Old 11-17-2002, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer

NovaKaw650 Thanks for the reply, one more question how is your bike on gas mine is terrible they was also going to check out the problem but when they said it was the clutch they will wait and do everything at the same time. I cant make it a 100 km when I have to switch to reserve. On a 102 km trip I burn $9.70 in gas at 85.5 cents a litre. I was also talking to a guy at the shop few days ago and has a bike like mine and said he went a 170 km and he only burnt a little over 5$ in gas so if this is true there is something definately wrong with mine. Do you think maybe cause of the clutch.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2002, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

You're gas consumption is about right, in fact it's excellent. You're getting about 9 kms per liter of gas and as the tank holds 13.5 liters you can go about 122 km on a tank. The other guy is so full of crap. He says he's getting 29 km per liter!! That works out to 132 miles per imp. gallon!!!! Impossible!! LMAO!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 2003 360 squeal clutch worn