Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 12:04 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow tires

I spent most of today riding in the snow, and it made me want to ask a few questions. I have narrowed my next tires down to Holeshot ATRs or Bear Claws 26". From what I have read, the ATRs would probably be better for me most of the year, but how do you think they would do in the snow?

BTW, I love my 650. Once again I rode an Artic Cat and my 650 off and no all weekend. 650 steering is so precise and predictable. Handling is awesome! Power is amazing. At the same speeds, and on the same trails, I felt safe and in control with my 650, whereas the Artic Cat was so much more unstable and tippy. After this trip, my wife, my brother-in-law, and my sister-in-law all told me how awesome the p650 is. Of course, I was just like a proud parent.

Old 11-24-2002, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default snow tires

hey PC,

Where did you go riding today? I would love to find some great snow riding without worrying about getting in too much over my head (if you know what I meen). My tires worked great at skyline when we hit a couple of patches of snow a couple of weeks ago. I can't imagine that the holeshots could even come close to Bear Claws in the snow. I assume that snow is an awfull lot like mud in most cases. The more floatation your tires have, the better. I mostly ride hard pack,rock crawl and log hop and these bad boys are awesome. They ride really smooth on hard pack and at all speeds. They also allow me to pop a wheelie when I can find the "huevos"! You can't go wrong with Bear Claws!

Old 11-24-2002, 07:53 PM
Range Rover
Default snow tires

trailburner,

My snow riding last weekend was up at Bear Lake, but I have also had some great snow riding up Farmington Canyon. It is usually crowded, and the canyon road is quite dangerous, so I don't like going there very often. Somebody dies up there almost every year. The trail rides (snow) are lots of fun, and can go for miles and miles. Be careful going off trail, because the snow is quite deep in places.

Thanks for the report on the bear claws

Old 11-24-2002, 07:54 PM
Range Rover
Default snow tires

trail burner,

did you mount your own tires, or did you have someone here do it for you? I am wanting to buy off the internet, but have someone local change them out for me.

Old 11-24-2002, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default snow tires

Don't put down the ATR's until you've tried them. Got mine a few days ago, and I've never riding a better tire. Took them up on the Beaver couple of days ago in about 6 inches of snow. I had NO problems. The traction these things put out, is crazy. I was able to go up hills in 2wd that I could only do in 4wd before.
Now I like to ride fast and hard, so these are the tires I got. I almost got the bearclaws instead, but I glad I didn't. Besides these tires are really wide. I'll try and get some pictures if you want, and email them to you. They will float on the snow good. Like I said the snow wasn't a problem. The problem with the tires is you will pay $100.00 more for them, then you will for the bearclaws. I think that it was worth it, some may not. Either way will still have the best bikes on the Planet!!

Old 11-25-2002, 12:22 AM
Range Rover
Default snow tires

I guess that you are both telling me that the traction in snow will be better than the dunlops no matter which one I get.

Old 11-25-2002, 12:26 AM
Trailblazer
Default snow tires

Racing Slicks will be better then the Dunlops

Old 11-25-2002, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default snow tires

I read in article in one of the ATV mags that tractor type tires with wide space lugs (like Gators)do best in the snow. Close tread pattern causes snow to bunch up and then your tire will act like a slick.