Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New P650 PROBLEM!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 08:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New P650 PROBLEM!!!

Having a problem with my new 650. Everytime I press the throttle, the thing goes fast. Tried bigger tires, still gos fast. Tried hooking up a trailer, still goes fast. Pulled friends 02 Grizz, still goes fast. Pulled friends 02 sp700, still goes fast. Up hill, down hill, sideways, mud, snow, and rocks, STILL goes fast. Theres got to be a way to slow this thing down so my friends can keep up. Maybe I'll remove one of the plug wires, maybe that will help.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2002, 08:59 AM
Range Rover

bodyman - that's funny you should mention this because mine is having the exact same problem. Now all my friends are trading in thier yammies and sukies and honders and gettin P650s and they are all having the same problem too. WTF. I think we should do a poll on the forum and see how many P650 owners are experiencing this problem. I bet you it's every darn one of them. Kawasaki might have to do a recall. Just imagine the extent of this problem they'll have with the new 700 V-Force.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2002, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

Yes i have the same problem, quad wants to go faster then anything around it. I heard they are going to recall it to fix that problem, along with choke and belt. Any day now. Ok before the winter is out. Ok! ok !i forgot when it is going to happen.But it will be sometime soon.

Old 12-07-2002, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

hey guys, I called my dealer and they have refused to cover our problem under warranty. I asked what the thousands of P-650 owners should do about it and they flatly stated that the problem wasn't their fault. In fact, the stated that they had retarded the timing, restricted the airflow, and put crappy tires on it in an effort to keep the thing from going too fast. I even called Kawasaki. Their only response was that if we wanted a slower 4x4, that we should have purchased a 700 or 660. So, I guess that we are on our own here. Any suggestions from anyone?

Old 12-07-2002, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

The Kawi Rep called to say the problem is fixed: we already have a throttle limiter screw from the factory. In order to use it, the work method is as follows:
1 - get your buddies to gather around the 650.
2 - ask them how far you need to turn the screw in so their sorry machines can keep up.
3 - tighten the limiter screw locknut and ride! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2002, 10:11 AM
Range Rover

Yes - the fix that NovaKaw650 has mentioned here is a workable fix. I think Nyroc is going to post this procedure on his website with photos for reference. The main element for this adjustment to work correctly is to have your riding buddies there when you do it to tell you how much you need to slow it down. Without thier input it's just a blind adjustment. Sometimes you have to change the setting for the current riding conditions. Like when I'm riding with Hondas I set it at about 3/8 throttle, Polaris is about 1/2, and Grizzlys at about 3/4. I will say that I run at the full throttle setting when riding with Raptors.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2002, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

Your solution will never work, to many bikes, I've found if you decide where you going first and just say "I'll see you there". THEY'LL KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN.

Old 12-07-2002, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok boys seriously Im going to buy a new quad and would like the kfx 700
but need the four wheel drive . We have a Yamaha dealer in town and
I was thinking about the Griss or the Sportsman . If you have ridden
with them and have a honest comment please let me know .

Old 12-07-2002, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer

Tried the fix today. It was just like cutting it's nuts off. Poor thing. I thought that I actually heard it crying. Just didn't have the heart to leave it that way, So I told everybody "I'LL JUST SEE YOU WHEN YOU GET THERE!!!"

Old 12-07-2002, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: New P650 PROBLEM!!!